PDA

View Full Version : Phantom Lines?

SevenCubed
06-19-2007, 12:02 AM
Lemmie know if anyone here has seen this happen. Occasionally, my CW has been doing a weird error where it will slip into carving just a little bit deeper every so often (or, apparently, a little bit shallower). The result (see attached images) is that I get a little slope in some of the flat planes of the artwork. I'm definately sure that the lines aren't in the source files, and they turn out differently each time. Sometimes a workpiece will make it through without any problems, sometimes a piece (like fig. B here) will have multiple instances of this error. Any ideas what's going on here? If my problem's unclear, I can try to explain it better, but yeah. Hopefully the pictures will suffice.

Azbear
06-19-2007, 05:30 AM
I too have had this happen. CW told me to check my board for warpage. Didn't really see it until my last project. I noticed my board did in fact have a slight warp in the length. Not sure if this is the cause or not. CW says yup.

ljdm
06-19-2007, 05:39 AM
Ihave had some weird lines show up. I assumed it was from when I opened the cover, and when it restarted carving it was off a little bit in depth.

Hawg_man
06-19-2007, 05:58 AM
Also check your rollers for any buildup of sawdust as this too can cause the lboard to lift slightly and as the bord moves foward go back down.

Bob

Kenm810
06-19-2007, 06:17 AM
I too have had small changes in cutting depth causing lines in the carving. In my case I was able to trace it to a couple of different things, one was dust and chips building up on the pressure rollers also on and under the traction belts. Another was when the project moved out from under the front or rear pressure rollers causing the board to tip up or down ever so slightly. Finely if the rollers on the front and rear extension tables are set to high or low this to can cause the board to tip. all of these can cause problems along with the board being warped or cupped. At least for me after correcting all of these my lines went away. http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_wink.gif

Dan-Woodman
06-19-2007, 04:05 PM
One of the most likely causes is not keeping the project under the rollers.
It's always best to add at least 7" to your board so it will stay under rollers.