PDA

View Full Version : Fatal Exception 181

Old Cop
06-17-2007, 09:40 PM
My machine has been back to the repair techs twice in the last 6 weeks.
First time was somthing to do with the Z axis. When the machine came back I started a project and the bit plunged 1/4 in. into the project then broke the bit and something tore to front traction belt.Back to Texas again.When I got it back this time I ran two small projects and they carved ok. Started the third project and kept getting a check board.Then when I checked the board and started the project again it would only measure about half way then just sit and jog.Exception stack fault storing debug data came up and then Fatal exception 181.Something also tore the front traction belt again.I have only had the machine since January of this year. Got it at sears.Would appreciate and advice or sugestions.Does anyone know if the company replaces a machine if it is still in warranty?I am really new at this but have carved some good projects untill the machine went haywire. Thanks for any coments.

Old Cop

forqnc
06-18-2007, 08:07 AM
I am really new at this but have carved some good projects

Old Cop
This is what keeps us going. I got mine back 4 weeks ago, last night I finally got to carve, I went inside for a drink and when I came back it was just spiing the chuck. Look inside, no bit, the bit was in the board and it had kept trying to move the board and ripped the front traction belt. :(
Going to call CW this morning, for new belts and QC

Good Luck with yours.

Old Cop
06-18-2007, 09:23 AM
Thanks for the reply.
I talked to Omar at the factory and he is well aware of the problems. He is very nice and helpfull. He is going to talk to his supervisor when he comes and in 30 minutes and he told me that in probabilitys they will send me a new machine.If you need to talk to anyone at CW I would advise trying to talk to Omar.

pamjmayo
06-19-2007, 11:01 AM
My machine has been back and forth to the factory since April. I've been able to carve about 10 hours since April 15th. I just got it back,
I carved two pieces and the bit started slipping all over the piece. I have a bad bearing. It looks like they only look at the exact problem you were having, install new parts and they don't check to see if they are working properly. I really wanted to start my marketing program but I can't get a machine that works. This is my fourth machine. The carver is so incredible that I'm willing to put up with it all of course but I sure wish I could get it working.

Old Cop
06-19-2007, 12:03 PM
They are sending me a new replacement machine. Should be here in a few days.Like you, I really like the machine when it is working properly. Hope this one does.

RC Woodworks
06-19-2007, 01:31 PM
OC, did you buy your machine from CW or Sears? It is great that CW is sending a replacement machine. Is it new or rebuilt? If you bought it from Sears I would take it back to them and get a new machine. Only if CW is sending a rebuilt, of course if they hand built it and it wasn't made in China then I would take the CW!

Gee I don't know if I am coming or going! I sent back my machine yesterday, second trip for it. I took back 3 machines to Sears and the 4th is on the second trip. I have a second one in my portable shop. I used it at my last fair, I did get the close cover error a few times. I pushed on the wire plugs and it seemed to work. I haven't used it since, I have been busy remodeling the inside of my home.

I did get my ShopBot last Friday and it is sitting in it's crate. I look forward to it getting put together, but I don't look forward to putting it together!

Well I hope that helped and did not confuse you!

Rick

benluz
06-19-2007, 03:49 PM
My machine has been back and forth to the factory since April. I've been able to carve about 10 hours since April 15th. I just got it back,
I carved two pieces and the bit started slipping all over the piece. I have a bad bearing. It looks like they only look at the exact problem you were having, install new parts and they don't check to see if they are working properly. I really wanted to start my marketing program but I can't get a machine that works. This is my fourth machine. The carver is so incredible that I'm willing to put up with it all of course but I sure wish I could get it working.

So sorry,you had your machine back so many times.The CW is almost like a person you have to get to know her, to really figure out a certain problem.If you lived closer I would give you a hand, I actually like working on them.Especially when I win !
Ben

benluz
06-19-2007, 03:54 PM
My machine has been back to the repair techs twice in the last 6 weeks.
First time was somthing to do with the Z axis. When the machine came back I started a project and the bit plunged 1/4 in. into the project then broke the bit and something tore to front traction belt.Back to Texas again.When I got it back this time I ran two small projects and they carved ok. Started the third project and kept getting a check board.Then when I checked the board and started the project again it would only measure about half way then just sit and jog.Exception stack fault storing debug data came up and then Fatal exception 181.Something also tore the front traction belt again.I have only had the machine since January of this year. Got it at sears.Would appreciate and advice or sugestions.Does anyone know if the company replaces a machine if it is still in warranty?I am really new at this but have carved some good projects untill the machine went haywire. Thanks for any coments.

Old Cop

I would call them and tell them your complete story and ask to exchange for a newer one they have tested in depth ,they are good people.I would give it a try.You might be surprised
Ben

Old Cop
06-19-2007, 05:09 PM
RC, I bought the machine at Sears.Went back to Sears and they would not hardly talk to me.After two trips back to CW and talking to Omar, who is really helpfull,CW is sending me another machine.Even if it is a rebuilt one that they are sending, I am thankfull. They are all really helpful and courtious at CW.

Old Cop
06-19-2007, 05:11 PM
Ben,
Contacted Omar at CW, explained my problems, and they are sending me another machine. Good people there and really helpfull

RC Woodworks
06-19-2007, 08:54 PM
Good OC, Sears is suppose to take it back within the 90 days warranty. As forth to Sears knowing anything about repairing the CC forget it!

If CW is giving you a rebuilt machine chances are it is a new machine anyway. I would think they would have personally went through the unit and it will be better then the one you sent in.

I would ask if it will have 20 minutes on it like a exchanged one from Sears. Or if not you will have 200 hrs from the replaced unit.

Good luck,
Rick

DDV
06-19-2007, 11:30 PM
Good OC, Sears is suppose to take it back within the 90 days warranty. As forth to Sears knowing anything about repairing the CC forget it! Rick

I had a Sears Repairman at the house Monday to repair my Kemore dryer and ask him about them learning to work on the CC. He told me that Sears sent a memo out to all repairmen to direct all inquires about any repair to the CC to customer service, and stated "DO NOT ATTEMPT TO REPAIR" He said he didn't think that they will ever do field repairs to them.
DDV

RC Woodworks
06-19-2007, 11:34 PM
I had a Sears Repairman at the house Monday to repair my Kemore dryer and ask him about them learning to work on the CC. He told me that Sears sent a memo out to all repairmen to direct all inquires about any repair to the CC to customer service, and stated "DO NOT ATTEMPT TO REPAIR" He said he didn't think that they will ever do field repairs to them.
DDV

Figures!!! That is why they will not offer a Sears warranty on the CC. I guess they don't care it says CRAFTSMAN on it!!!!

Another ...... all you can do is laugh!

Rick

Jeff_Birt
06-19-2007, 11:43 PM
I have mixed feelings about this. On one hand it would be much more convienant to be able to have it serviced at Sears on the other, if I have someone do work for me I would rather they be qualified to do so. So, personally, I would trade convienance for knowing that the job was well done. YMMV....

RC Woodworks
06-19-2007, 11:59 PM
I agree, that is why my CC is on it's way to Texas! I feel Sears should have left the Carve Wright name on it. They sell Dewalt, Delta etc, so by putting their Craftsman name implies to me they made it. So in you would think they could repair it.

I think it is good for CW to sell through Sears. I guess the only way was to have Sears use their name. But we all know who really made it! And who will take care of us!

Rick

benluz
06-20-2007, 08:31 AM
I believe they should have sold them through the website only, but it may not have been possible due to money issues.Through the website the seller can prepare the buyer for problems they may encounter also get a fair idea of their mechanical ability . For example when I bought my Shopsabre the first thing Mike ask me is, "do you own a Computer" and I said yes.
A Logical question, because if you don't, it's a given that your learning curve is going to be much higher.In this Case Mike may have suggested that one buy a computer and cad/cam software as much as a year before the machine.This is part of CW problem now,they have customers have never had a computer and also who are afraid to take out 2 screws to remove a board sensor and so they send the machine to texas. Well ,if you bought even the cheapest of bench top cnc's would be 5k and you had better be prepared to at least use a screw driver.Better eror codes and a detailed manual would drastically reduce the number of trips to Texas in my opion.
Ben

DDV
06-20-2007, 09:46 AM
Better eror codes and a detailed manual would drastically reduce the number of trips to Texas in my opion.
Ben

You know given enough time there will be enough information on this site to make a fair manual. Any taker's (hint,hint) Anybody ever come up with a elec. dwg. sure would be helpful to know how its wired.
DDV

benluz
06-20-2007, 10:57 AM
You know given enough time there will be enough information on this site to make a fair manual. Any taker's (hint,hint) Anybody ever come up with a elec. dwg. sure would be helpful to know how its wired.
DDV

Sarge compiled a good list of the problem and solutions we have had on the forum.Do a seach or send him a mesage,he has then in pdf file.
Ben

pastime106
06-20-2007, 11:06 AM
I am glad that I, like the vast majority of the people on this board, are able to repair the machine with just a little guidance via a phone conversation. I can also see the point that if sears sells it then they should be able to do basic service. RC has it right they put Craftsman on on it.
They are not going to provide the level of service that carvewright will. But you dont need to send a car back to the assembly plant for an oil change. Most of the problems are repaired thanks to the awsome support at carvewright. But, still Sears could probably step up a little and save a lot of downtime.

Tom

benluz
06-20-2007, 11:18 AM
I am glad that I, like the vast majority of the people on this board, are able to repair the machine with just a little guidance via a phone conversation. I can also see the point that if sears sells it then they should be able to do basic service. RC has it right they put Craftsman on on it.
They are not going to provide the level of service that carvewright will. But you dont need to send a car back to the assembly plant for an oil change. Most of the problems are repaired thanks to the awsome support at carvewright. But, still Sears could probably step up a little and save a lot of downtime.

Tom

I would dare say, that most of the ones who can't do the most simple repair are not on the forum.I have been told by several cnc companies that the number of people who inquire into a cnc but don't own a computer is amazing
And now that we CNC at sears it will be even greater. I agree Sear should do initial service and if it's over their head then send it to texas until sears gets up to speed then thay can service all the ones they sell.It has the Craftman name on it they should help LHR out with the service end and maybe the are in ways we don't know about.
Ben