PDA

View Full Version : Carving in the dark?

Jeff_Birt
06-16-2007, 07:48 PM
Ever wanted to carve in the dark? Or would you just your machines display to be easier to read? Never fear, the Backlit LCD kit for you CW/CC is here....here is a picture of the prototype on my machine.

http://web.umr.edu/~birtj/images/LCD_BL_02_web.png

This picture was taken in complete darkness, (but don't try carving in the dark!) In normal room light the backlight adds enough illumination to make the display very easy to read. No more squinting :p

They will be available on AllCW.com in a few weeks for around $50. The kit will include everything you need to install the LCD (installation is pretty easy)....if you are interested plase email jeff.birt.cw@gmail.com so I have an idea of how many LCD units to order in. Stay tuned for details...

Termite
06-17-2007, 11:01 AM
Why the comment about not carving in the dark? I turn the lights off in the garage and let my machine run all the time in the night. I have 72 hrs on my machine ( yes it is just a machine) and the only problem I have is check the cut motor at the beginning of every carving. I can live with hitting the enter button twice. I lubed the flex cable once at 20 hrs and after finishing a 3 hr carving last night the flex cable was still just warm when I tested it. I use the shop vac and blow out the machine with air after every carving. I always leave the bit in the machine and have never oiled the chuck or bit adapters.
There is a knack to changing the bits but once you get it down then it is easy. Now that I have jinxed myself, oh $#%&, I guess I am really addressing this to anyone considering buying the CWM. GO FOR IT. It is not a high maintence machine and you do not have to baby the machine. Just use common sense like you have to do with any machine. What you have to do is READ THE INSTRUCTIONS and UNDERSTAND THEM before you jump in and the key word is UNDERSTAND. Please, anybody that has had problems with their machine, do not be offended by my comments because I am sure you're problems are for real and I feel you're pain. I just wanted to present the other side of the coin and let people considering buying the CWM know that sometimes you need to read between the lines. You can tell by some of the questions and problems asked here by the newbies that they never read the instructions or understood them.
Okay I am standing still, who wants the first shot at me? I am sure someone will read what I said and be offended, so let me repeat, I did not intend to offend anybody.

Jeff_Birt
06-17-2007, 11:14 AM
Why the comment about not carving in the dark?

Dude, chill out! It was said in jest. While with the backlight you can see the display in complete darkness, you can't see anythign else:)

I leave my machine running in a dark garage all the time too.

eagle1
06-17-2007, 11:38 AM
Jeff,
I once told a lady that she was not high maintence and I did not have to baby her, she beat the hell out of me. :p So now I use common sense to get along with both my lady friends and my machines.... You get out of them what you put into them ...... ROFL
Dean

liquidguitars
06-17-2007, 12:08 PM
Nice now my list just got bigger 1/8 collets and now back lighted LCD...
Cool idea Jeff, how about a replacement muffler for the back of the unit ;)
LG

rjustice
06-17-2007, 01:21 PM
LG, dont laugh, i am about ready to let that cat out of the bag !! (muffler) LOL

Ron

Digitalwoodshop
06-17-2007, 10:00 PM
I want to run a row of bright white LED's under the black plastic between the cover switches.

I want to add a RCA jack on the top near the left lid switch and wire it into the left switch providing a remote E stop. A shorted plug for when you don't need the remote.

I want to mount a laser pointer to look at the board to allow a repeatable starting position to jog to. Mark the board starting point, jog to it.

I want to add a B&W camera under the hood to watch it remotely. I already use a intercom to listen for bit changes.

AL

cajunpen
06-17-2007, 11:05 PM
I want to run a row of bright white LED's under the black plastic between the cover switches.

I want to add a RCA jack on the top near the left lid switch and wire it into the left switch providing a remote E stop. A shorted plug for when you don't need the remote.

I want to mount a laser pointer to look at the board to allow a repeatable starting position to jog to. Mark the board starting point, jog to it.

I want to add a B&W camera under the hood to watch it remotely. I already use a intercom to listen for bit changes.

AL

Wow - you guys are hard core:) It is very interesting sitting back and watching a whole new industry spinning off of the CW machines (I mean that in a very positive way). We've got guys selling patterns, tutorials and now "back lights" - bits and parts for the machines. Who would have thunk it possible. Go get it guys (and gals) Free enterprise is Great!!!! Makes you proud to call yourself an American!!!!

Digitalwoodshop
06-18-2007, 12:48 PM
And lets hope that LHR gets the rotary attachment out by Christmas.... IF they have it in the works....

Then a 52 inch model that you could put a sheet of plywood into......

I believe Norm is getting ready to retire from New Yankee Woorkshop.... Imagine if he jumped on the boat without the restrictions of previous sponsorship and came out with a new Show.... "Norm Goes Digital".... With CarveWright.

A big step from Retired Bob hawking whatever that hedge trimmer thing was.... Insurance??

AL

Gman_Ind
06-19-2007, 09:51 AM
I admit I like to watch.
Vector cutting is cool, raster not so much.
Vector cutting reminds me of my first pen/pencil plotter I would get people stopping to watch it draw prints.
LED lights inside the machine with a switch would be very cool!

MetalCutter
06-21-2007, 05:54 PM

AL

I thought a light and a camera were a necessity plus I have made a couple of other mods to improve quality and life expectancy. Here are a couple of pics of my cold cathode internal work light, 2.4 gh remote "Carve Cam" (video 2 input on my TV remote), my "Dome of Silence" (retractable and foldable), auxilary blower system and the downdraft table (the aluminum pan cost $1.89) and my custom tool holder. Sweeeeet even if I do say so myself! My hot gluegun hates me.

HillBilly
06-23-2007, 01:58 AM
I see that I`m not the only one looking at that area under the top cover to add those "lights" into. I also have a few extra "X-10" cams that I was thinking about adding into my system.

I still haven`t yet dove into the power supply to attemp to find a good sorce for the 12 volt power supply, has anyone else done so yet ? If so, can you enlighten some of us ?

I just finished putting up a new shed to house "Ma`Lady" and haven`t yet managed to get everything organized. With what I`ve spent doing this so far (the expense of the "Lady" and her new home, as well as her various needed accessories and materials). If I don`t return the funding back into the coffer soon, I might be sleeping out there, so my wife tells me.

Oh well, At least I`ll be among others of my kind, I`d like to beleive...<grin>

Kenm810
06-23-2007, 10:47 AM
Tell me about it, hmmmm -- more Bells and Whistles http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_confused.gif

MetalCutter
06-25-2007, 09:14 PM
I see that I`m not the only one looking at that area under the top cover to add those "lights" into. I also have a few extra "X-10" cams that I was thinking about adding into my system.

I still haven`t yet dove into the power supply to attemp to find a good sorce for the 12 volt power supply, has anyone else done so yet ? If so, can you enlighten some of us ?

I just finished putting up a new shed to house "Ma`Lady" and haven`t yet managed to get everything organized. With what I`ve spent doing this so far (the expense of the "Lady" and her new home, as well as her various needed accessories and materials). If I don`t return the funding back into the coffer soon, I might be sleeping out there, so my wife tells me.

Oh well, At least I`ll be among others of my kind, I`d like to beleive...<grin>

I found both, 12v power supply and the cold cathode, at a nearby computer
surplus store. If I remember right, the light was like 8 bucks and I think the 12v supply was 4. There was a sale at Fry's so I got two of the cameras (color) for $99. I had those before the CC machine was even heard of. The cam will run off a 9v battery or the power supply that came with it. Plug and play. I've done another fairly radical mod to the machine which I chose not to show until it proves itself. Here's the gift I made my Dad for Dad's Day.

Jeff_Birt
07-10-2007, 08:38 AM
The backlit LCD kits are ready! They are $50 each plus $4.60 shipping via USPS Priority mail. The kit includes a new backlit LCD assembly plus all the hardware needed for mounting. The new LCD plugs right in in place of the OEM unit. A lot of care was taken in procuring a 1st quality backlit LCD unit, connectors and cabling that is 100% compatible (down to the controller chip used on the LCD) with the original. I've been using my prototype backlit display for several weeks now and would not want to revert back to the original one, the back-light makes it so much easier to see.

They should be available on AllCW.com within the next week or so. I've attached the installation guide so everyone will have an idea of what it takes to install it (it's really pretty easy).

If you have any questions please contact me at jef.birt.cw@gmail.com

BobHill
07-10-2007, 12:07 PM
Although I can't say that my dust collection system for my CarveWright is inexpensive, so far, I've not seen the need for any additional air blasting. Having said that, so far, I've only done a 3/4" depth path cut out which is a 22" by 12" fancy cut. I'm using a 1&#189;hp JET Dust Collector system with the Dust Dog top filter. Since I have the Bench Dog cabinet and router lift for my router and like it real well, I bought another one ( http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?FamilyID=2075 ), bought the 18"x4" floor scoop for the 4" clear collector hose and cut the appropriate hole in the router table top, then screwed and sealed it together inside bottom of the table top. This allows for the very large air flow volume (not pressure) necessy for good dust collection. Watching it work is really great, as it sucks from both sides where it usually builds up, as well as not even a fine layer of dust collects on the shelf. See the last photo for amount of sawdust left when all turned off. No clean up done. So far, so good.

I may well have to add air for the heavier carving work, but so far it doesn't look like it. I'll pop in a couple photos here, but if anyone wishes more details on the construction, I'll be happy to send it. I did take a lot of photos as I constructed it.

Bob

Kenm810
07-10-2007, 12:21 PM
Bob, looks really good and more then adequate.
If you don't need the additions and gadgets, no worries.
As you know most of them are just for fun anyway. http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_razz.gif

BobHill
07-10-2007, 05:38 PM
There's nothing wrong with gadgets and additions in my book, Ken. I've got a shop full of them <g>

Bob

Jeff_Birt
07-13-2007, 07:19 PM
Yeah! The backlit LCD kits are now available!

http://allcw.com/Products.html

Installation is pretty easy the install instructions can be found in the 4 posts above this one. You can contact me at jeff.birt.cw@gmail.com if you have any questions.

BobHill
07-13-2007, 08:48 PM
Received the LCD light yesterday, Jeff. I haven't installed it yet, but will very soon. Using flashlights or badly hung exterior lights gets pretty old and I'm looking forward to this accessory, big time.
Bob

BobHill
07-15-2007, 07:18 PM
Jeff,
Can you post the installation instructions for the LCD Backlight. Somewhere I've lost them and don't see them in your post above Also your jef.birt.cw@gmail.com email address won't deliver.

Bob

Jeff_Birt
07-15-2007, 07:45 PM
The document was too large to post here so I put it over at: http://allcw.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?t=242

Also, I just emailed it to you Bob.

BobHill
07-15-2007, 08:16 PM
Thanks, Jeff, that's tomorrows project, for sure.

Bob

BobHill
07-16-2007, 08:45 PM
Jeff, you have a fantastic WINNER. I put the LCD backlight device in today and VOILA, it works just great. Well worth the $50. Thanks for coming up with that and it was relatively a snap to install even with my bumble fingers. No loss of small screws, no dings to anything, and no extra parts (except the replaced LCD part, of course). I used hot glue for the added shelf. I would caution, however, that the instructions say to REMOVE THE TOP COVER ... that, of course, is a misnomer. You DO NOT WANT TO REMOVE THE TOP COVER OF THE MACHINE. You DO want to remove the left (LCD Panel) side of the machine. I believe you wanted to call that the top cover of the LCD, but that description could lead to other problems if someone just follows what they think is what you mean.
Once again, thanks for coming up with the LCD replacement with the backlight.
Bob Hill
Tampa Florida

Jeff_Birt
07-16-2007, 09:06 PM
Bob, thanks for the kind words :D

I was meaning to suggest removal the top cover to gain access to the top-rear keypad assembly screws. I will review that section of the installation guide and try to do a better job explaining the intent. Thanks, so much for the feedback.

BobHill
07-16-2007, 09:11 PM
Removal of the top of the left panel (plastic from the metal) is pretty much a must. I figured that was what you meant, but then I've taken my machine apart more than a couple times, so I was familiar with how to get to the LCD screen. But the TOP COVER description would otherwise casue some perhaps to think it was the machine's top cover. Maybe not though.
Bob

liquidguitars
08-16-2007, 02:09 PM
Installed Jeff's "Carve in the dark" LCD this week and all is well ilumated, clean looking. His LCD backlight as an aftermarket kit is a good idea.

LG