PDA

View Full Version : Can this actually be done?

NHawk
06-16-2007, 07:00 AM
I am new here and downloaded the software to see how the system works. I've partially layed out what I'm trying to do...

http://www.candlerock.com/master.jpg

The board width would be 12" x 24" x 1" hardwood (maple, walnut, oak). The main area is 1/2" deep and the shaped areas are 1/4" high off of the bottom of the piece.

This would be a "master" for a silicone mold.

I'm also still trying to figure out if I should actually purchase the machine or find someone to make what I need on a piece basis. Which might be more economical.

rjustice
06-16-2007, 07:27 AM
Nhawk,
Yes this could be done a couple different ways. You could raster cut this detail with the carving bit, and it would leave a 1/32 radius in the bottom of all of the detail (due to using a 1/16 ball tip cutter). You could also do this in a vector cut method using "V" 60 degree bit, or "V" 90 degree bit to put the detail in the bottom.

There would be a fairly significant amount of work involved in designer to get your pattern exactly right if you choose to go with the vector cutting method. If you can live with the small radius in the bottoms, it looks like you have the work done.

Hope this helps.

Ron

NHawk
06-16-2007, 07:43 AM
Wow I didn't expect such a quick response. Thank you!

Either solution would work since when the finished pieces come out of the mold they would break apart in 3/4" x 1/2" pieces.

Now I just need to solve the problem of convincing my wife that this would be a good investment. If I can't do that, my work is pointless.

Just as a side comment...There is one thing I noticed with the software that is a bit cumbersome. When I group the pieces together, I can't refine position of the group by keyboard input. The group and piece postions overlay each other making it impossible to change the group. I hope I said that clear enough.

Jim

rjustice
06-16-2007, 08:29 AM
There is a constraint tool that will lock the item by a typed in dimension. You should be able to simply type in the new distance by clicking on the constraint and change it to whatever you want. Constraint dimensions are recognized by noticing that they turn green.

I think this is a solution to what you are describing.

Ron

NHawk
06-22-2007, 06:57 AM
Well it seems not matter how much talking, whining, etc I do, my wife is unable to see the need for the machine.

Is anybody near the Pittsburgh area interested in doing this for me?

I have the pattern layed out and set to go, I just need someone to carve it.

Jim

meat
06-23-2007, 10:10 AM
Well it seems not matter how much talking, whining, etc I do, my wife is unable to see the need for the machine.

Jim, Jim, Jim ... You're looking at this all wrong.

Go out and buy the CW machine, don't ask for permission. It's important to have priorities, and to understand that we only get one trip around the sun.

You can easily justify your purchase this way: there are only about 5,000 CW machines available which makes them a significantly limited resource. On the other hand, there are 301,139,947 people in the U.S.A., and - of that number - 101,365,035 are females between the ages of 15 and 64. It's way easier to find another chick than it is to find an extremely rare CW machine.

If you feel it's necessary, explain your purchase to your wife that way, and make sure to tell her that Meat said it was okay to buy the CW. And, when she asks, go ahead and tell her that yes, Meat is single. :D

Your pal,
Meat.

rjustice
06-23-2007, 10:47 AM
Meat... I wonder why you're single?....LOL

Ron

pastime106
06-23-2007, 09:03 PM
Meat- Your my new HERO ! Superman has nothing on you!
NHawk-You need to show her how it can carve flowers and tea cups, hearts, and pretty sh*#, then she will let you buy it. Worked for me :D
Even if the box pattern thing you are trying to make would allow you to retire tomorrow, it makes no diffrence. You need to make "pretty" stuff. Once the machine is sitting in your shop then you can carve skulls all day long!

Pastime

rjustice
06-23-2007, 10:17 PM
You guys are cracking me up ! :D

forqnc
06-24-2007, 08:54 AM
NHawk-You need to show her how it can carve flowers and tea cups, hearts, and pretty sh*#, then she will let you buy it. Worked for me :D
Pastime

That worked for me too. Of course now I have it my Honey to do list is 3 times as big. :)

bobreda
06-24-2007, 09:31 AM
Jim,

Where are you located in the Pittsburgh area?? I live in Monessen which is about 20 miles south of Pittsburgh.

Bob

NHawk
06-25-2007, 09:23 AM
The odd thing about this is she saw the commercial from Sears and the first thing out of her mouth was "I want it..go get it". Then she saw the price and said "I don't want it that much...don't you dare get it".

I figured coming up with a practical application for it would help sway her. Unfortunately she won't go for it unless the cost of the machine can be recovered in one month.

And, I've done the "buy it first, explain later" thing a little too often. She's already wise to those tricks. :)

Edit: I've been watching Fleabay but everything there is going for near retail price when you include shipping.

Gman_Ind
06-25-2007, 11:01 AM
An Ebay sale would have to be really cheap before I would bite, because if you need to send it back for repair the shipping is on your dime.
Just to brag but the Mrs. bought my machine for me, it was payment for building her a cabinet. here is a photo without the pulls and the crown molding across the top. The princess needed the crown ;)

oldjoe
06-25-2007, 11:34 AM
I have to say my wife was very understanding about the purchase of mine, she told me you have to pay for it and if you think you can do it go for it. She also understands that I have a dream of getting away from the 7 to 4 routine but what she doesn't understand is why I spend so much of my free time on this forum when I could be working. I just tell her I am getting some very creative ideas from it and learning about the machine. But I have done some carvings for her garden and actually have sold a couple things and I am working on some other deals that if they pan out could make a lot of people on this forum jealous ;) !

pamjmayo
06-25-2007, 12:47 PM
What do you mean, we'll be jealous. If you figure out how to pay for this machine, you need to tell all...spill your guts actually. Pam

Dan-Woodman
06-25-2007, 04:01 PM
Mike
Nice cabinet ,looks like you got a lot of practice making drawers.

Digitalwoodshop
06-25-2007, 08:39 PM
Have a garage sale to make money to buy one.... Offer to make Christmas gifts this year.... Take a second job.... Do something..... In the end she will be happy you did get it..... Offer to do 911 signs for the neighbors and relatives... Something.... Quilt racks like me.... Show her the quilt racks YOU can make..... Don't give up.... Life is too short.... He who dies with the most TOOLS wins....

Foot rubs for 30 days.... Like Paris Hilton, DO YOUR TIME.... Back Rubs.... You will enjoy the Carve Machine SO much....

Good Luck,

AL

pkunk
06-25-2007, 08:56 PM
However, don't get the Carvewright if you intend for it to be your sole source of income. Believe me. I have used mine alot, made lots of $$ with it, but it is not intended for production work. And when it doesn't work, you had better have a reliable source of incoming cash or start winning lottos.:p
I seem to have selling spurts, too. Sometimes people are begging for CW product & i can't keep up and then I'll go for weeks with no interest. If I'm lucky the machine works when it's needed. Hasn't always been the case.:rolleyes:

Kenm810
06-26-2007, 08:02 AM
Back in December I believe that I went about getting my machine the wrong way. My main hobby is Wood working and turning, my wife’s is Sewing and Quilting. I wanted the Carving Machine she wanted a new Sewing Machine. In talking it over, she said I already had a shop full of tools for wood carving, I replied that she already two different kinds of sewing machines plus a 3 and 4 thread over lock Serger. I said but this is a computer controlled programmable multi functional carving machine that was capable of probe scanning. She replied the machine she wanted was a computer controlled multi functional sewing machine that was capable of embroiderery. (mutter – mutter) Ok I ordered my machine, she ordered hers. Mine arrived a week later complete with a probe and a set of bits on the side $2,449.00 plus or minus some tax and shipping. The same week her machine arrived a -- Janome 11000 Total package embroidery Sewing Machine $6,990.00 plus two extra memory Cards $399.00 each. --- I know, I was asking for it, (hmmm) short end of the stick again (mutter – mutter.) http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_confused.gif She Happy

oldjoe
06-26-2007, 12:02 PM
Pam I don't think you will be jealous with this project but other people may! And I still have to tie up some loose ends and right now it seems like it may not work out.
Ken congrats on yours and your wifes new machines. I am sure you and your wife will enjoy them both.
Hang in there Nhawk I am sure you will find away to get your machine. If you want something bad enough you can always find away to make it work. I have to eat wieny water soup for lunch now but I got my machine. And its worth the sacrifices. ;)

rjustice
06-26-2007, 04:31 PM
oK... i KNOW i am going to regret asking this, LOL... but what the heck is wieny water soup???? LOL

:D

Ron

pkunk
06-26-2007, 05:53 PM
That's what's left in the pot after you boil the weiners.(hot dogs):cool::rolleyes:

rjustice
06-26-2007, 09:47 PM
:) .... man i love this I learn something new every day!!

Ron

oldjoe
06-27-2007, 11:52 AM
If you use all beef franks the soup is also very tasty turkey is rather bland

Put 1 quart of water into pot
Add 5 of your favorite hot dogs add onion if you like
Bring to a boil
Drain into a container and store in fridge.
You can eat all the hot dogs for one meal or just save a couple and you can slice them up and add them to you scrambled eggs for breakfast
The next night just take the water and reheat it
You can add oyster crackers if you like.
:D !