PDA

View Full Version : Frustrated "NEW" compucarve owner

Robin Fellows
06-15-2007, 08:12 PM
My machine was given to me by my wife (Yea boys, I know I'm a lucky guy) for Fathers Day. Besides the tutorial in the program itself are there any others out there?. I've been wearing the letters off of my keyboard trying to find this info out. Additionally, the provided software is very basic, What software/programs do you guys recommend as a must have with this machine? My expierence is limited, ok I have none, with design software. Any info at this point will be taken onboard and appreciated. You old timers out there please bear with me, when I become as proficient with the machine as you, I'll start fielding these basic questions that Im sure you've been asked a hundred or so times. You've got to train your relief....

Kenm810
06-15-2007, 08:19 PM
First off welcome to the forum and the wood chippers http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_biggrin.gif
there are several tutorials and information available through the search function at the top of this page
plus loads of answers from all the good folks you'll find here.

Jeff_Birt
06-15-2007, 08:22 PM
There are a few free tutorials over at http://www.allcw.com/Tutorials.html, and Jon has several really good video tutorials available on using Corel Draw with the CW. Do a search (look for the search button on the red menu bar towards the top of the screen) on the forum for 'Tutorial' and you'll find a couple that the CW folks did last year.

The Designer software is actually pretty nice but there are some limitations that make a program like Corel Draw helpful. You can also use CAD programs to a certain extent as well as 3d modeling programs that will output a heightmap.

Be prepared for a lot of reading :D

Digitalwoodshop
06-17-2007, 09:21 PM
Just a few quick tips.... To keep you out of trouble...

1. Shop Vac's sucking wood chips create a static charge and can kill your machine. Use with caution.

2. Get some Chain Lube with Molly. See lubrication of flex drive cable. More is not better when using the lube. Too wet and re installed causes the Molly to get into the cutter head bearings burning them up. If you touch the drive shaft, warm is good. Hot is BAD..... Time to lube again.

3. There is a spring inside the drive shaft to aid in keeping it centered. I found my spring on the floor stepped on.... Always look for it when putting the drive cable back in.

4. To aid in drawing stuff from scratch try turning on the grid, change it to 1 inch blocks. Turn on snap to grid. Use the tools to draw stuff. Try cut path. Remember to join the ends of your lines like Christmas lights so cut path will work.

5. If you grab an object wrong it could give you a data number box. The best way back is to hit enter then right click the now yellow box and select remove attachments.

6. Get some lube oil like 3 in one oil, apply a light film to the bit quick disconnect before installing as the metal to metal will rub and surface rust will form. Could cause bit to stick in the unit or like my unit came out at full speed from not being seated... Damaged the chuck grinding.

7. Read, read, read.... It's all here.... Almost all the problems and most of the answers.

Good Luck,

AL