PDA

View Full Version : Plant Stand--Oak

Dan-Woodman
06-15-2007, 05:28 PM
Here is my latest project.
Just some old Oak I had lying around.
The flutes on the collum was done on the cw,as was the carving around the base.
The flutes are just lines with it feathered on both ends. 1/2" roundnose bit, the senter one set deeper than the two outside ones. The collum is about 7 1/2" across and the trim on base is about 9 1/2" . Overall it's about 31" tall.
This is a six sided object , 30 deg. angles and walnut splines in the two pieces that overhang. The collum has birdmouth joints, witch worked out really nice and then three band clamps to hold it together while the glue dried.
later Daniel

Kenm810
06-15-2007, 05:36 PM
ah Dan, -- Where?

I can almost visualize it. but I'm having a little trouble with the bird mouth joints http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_eek.gif

Ps. that's much better http://www.carvewright.com/forum3/images/smilies/icon_razz.gif

swhitney
06-15-2007, 06:19 PM
Nice job!!

is the width at the bottom enough?? (is it fairly stable is the real question)

later
Scott

eagle1
06-15-2007, 07:25 PM
Daniel,

I like the way you carved on the base of your plant stand. The walnut splines adds a nice touch of class. I made a gift card rack with 30 deg cuts for our store (Bass Pro Shops). It looks like a miniature of your plant stand. Keep the photos coming.

Dean

Dan-Woodman
06-15-2007, 09:25 PM
Ken
You must have got right in there before I was done posting everything.
I'll admit, I'm a little slow with this computor thing.
The birdmouth joints are on the edges of the collum boards.
You only have to make a joint on one edge, the other edge is square.
The square edge fits into the birdmouth joint all around.

Scot
Yes it pretty stable ,and also there won't be a whole lot of wieght on it.
It's not really a plant stand. We're going to put one of them glass bowls on top that has lights and fog that comes out of the bowl.

Thanks Dean, I'm trying to learn this computor thing.