PDA

View Full Version : Converting Imported .png to Cut Path

brucegregory
06-15-2007, 12:22 PM
I'm wondering just how influential the overall resolution a .png image is over the accuracy and smoothness of the final cut of a "part" with the CarveWright system. Would increasing the resolution of a piece of vector art from, say, 300 dpi to 600 dpi, that is translated to a .png image, (via CorelDraw X3's export function), make the final cut part more accurate and smooth? I can't compare since I still have not purchased the machine but am only testing the software.

Does this imported .png image need to be converted to a "cut path" within "Designer" or do I adjust the cutting depth so that it is greater than the thickness of the wood, itself?

Thanks,

Greg Smith

rgant05
06-15-2007, 02:32 PM
I'm just passing through the forum today. Don't frequent it much any more, but noticed you post hadn't been answered yet. Any time you do a cut out with the carvewright, you should do a cut path. Reason being that it adds little tabs to hold the cutout pieces from dropping and the bit grabbing on it and breaking a bit or damaging the machine. If you lower the cut depth to greater than the board thickness you loose this "safety" feature and risk the above. I will leave the resolution part of the question to someone that may know for sure. Accuracy, I would say would be good either way but the "pixelization" might leave some ragged curves with lower resolution, but I don't know for sure to what extent this would happen with the carvewright.

roger