PDA

View Full Version : General Questions CW vs CC

Paul Wheeler
06-14-2007, 07:16 PM
Hi all,

I'm new to the form and about to take the plunge.
I've been following for about a week now and have some general questions.

I hope that I'm posting in the right form, my Apologies if I’m not.

Is there any reason to purchase from Sears or form CarveWright other then the time it takes to get a delivery?

Is the software the same from Sears and do you still get the same updates as if you bought from CarveWright?

Is the software the same as the download from CarveWright or is there more to the library then what is in the trial download?

I also heard that there a new software release due to be out this year and was going to cost $500. Does anyone here know what the new features are and when it will be released?

If i purchase the CC form Sears can I then purchase the scan heads from CW?

Any answers would be greatly appreciated

Julie Coffey
06-14-2007, 07:31 PM
Is there any reason to purchase from Sears or form CarveWright other then the time it takes to get a delivery?

Its my understanding that the arrangment with Sears gives Sears a greater number of machines sooner, before CW gets theirs. So your chances of getting one through them faster is better.

Is the software the same from Sears and do you still get the same updates as if you bought from CarveWright?

Yes they are the same.

Is the software the same as the download from CarveWright or is there more to the library then what is in the trial download?

Same software nothing more is added.

I also heard that there a new software release due to be out this year and was going to cost $500. Does anyone here know what the new features are and when it will be released?

Last time I was on the phone with LHR they told me they didn't have a release date in mind for the Library yet, now that doesn't mean perhaps one of the moderators here may have more updated information. Little has been made available concerning the new 'bells and whistles'.

Yes they are interchangeable. I got my machine from Sears but my scan probe from LHR- they work swell.

Best of luck in your research- using the Search option will answer a good many of your questions.

Julie :)

rjustice
06-14-2007, 07:35 PM
Hi Paul,
In my opinion the benefits of purchasing from Sears is the unconditional satisfaction return for 90 days. Otherwise the machine is covered for 1 year or 200 hours whichever comes first.

Machines are identical, and the software that you download as a trial is the full version of what you get with the machine, you simply cant upload a file because you dont have the reader yet.

Software upgrade was on the CarveWright store for an "comming soon" item, but they pulled it back off for some reason. It was actually highlighting the centerline font cutting capabilities. not sure what is in the works now.

By scan heads, I think you are probably talking about the probe, and it is available from both Sears and CarveWright. Again, i tend to go with sears from the satisfaction guarantee.

Hope this helps!

Ron

swhitney
06-14-2007, 07:42 PM
to save time, my resposes to your questions are in these things >> ok? <<

hope that I'm posting in the right form, my Apologies if I’m not. >> yep <<

Is there any reason to purchase from Sears or form CarveWright other then the time it takes to get a delivery? >> Same machine, different label from my understanding <<

Is the software the same from Sears and do you still get the same updates as if you bought from CarveWright? >> yep again <<

Is the software the same as the download from CarveWright or is there more to the library then what is in the trial download? >> same software, but the CW software is probably more up to date... You can download it and it is the same as the "trial" software <<

I also heard that there a new software release due to be out this year and was going to cost $500. Does anyone here know what the new features are and when it will be released? >> is an "advanced" version due late 2007 (which means mid 2008 probably, hehe) and so far I do not know specifically what enhancements will be available <<<

>> if you are referring to the probe, yep once again, same probe, also available from Sears (and it is truely amazing!!) <<<

Welcome to the forum. One hint to save many hassles... read the manual!! Really, it has tons of important stuff. Then if you have additional questions, do a search here on the forum as many folks have made the same mistakes I made, and potentially you will too!! Then, read and post away on the forums to learn the special stuff. I have been here for about six months, and I am still learning. I love this machine so much that when it had to make the trip to the motherland (back to texas for repair) I ended up with a winning bid on eBay for a fully functional machine... soooo now I have two (that was a real difficult thing to explain to my wife. hehe)

Later and Happy Carving

Scott

meat
06-14-2007, 08:08 PM
Hi all,

I'm new to the form and about to take the plunge.
I've been following for about a week now and have some general questions.

I hope that I'm posting in the right form, my Apologies if I’m not.

The machine is the same.

I have bought my machines from Sears for two reasons:

1. 90 day return policy.
2. As a Craftsman Club member, I get the discount price when the machine goes on sale. I've purchased my machines for $1699 and $1449 through Sears, and I'm very patient and willing to wait for the machine to go on sale.

Yes. When you get your machine, it'll probably ship with older software. Once you update it from this site, it'll be the latest version.

Yes, there are more items in the library. Or, at least there was whan I got my machines.

Don't hold your breath. It'll be out eventually.

They're all the same. Sears occasionally puts them on sale so they're less expensive to purchase through Sears.

Any answers would be greatly appreciated

Okay.

Your pal,
Meat.

Paul Wheeler
06-14-2007, 08:24 PM
Just want to thank all of you who replied.

I'm going to order from Sears, They are telling me they can get on in by the 21st. I hope to learn allot from this form.

I'm a software engineer who has been busy with work and remodeling a 1960s rancher (just about finished with the remodel) and am looking forward to having time to do some woodworking. I've accumulated a small shop of the basic tools but time is always short.

I'm pushing 50, so its time to learn some new tricks

Thanks again

rjustice
06-14-2007, 08:32 PM
Paul, to keep you from being dissapointed, It has been normal for sears to run 2-4 weeks from when you order. (Mine was promised in a week, but took 4) If it gets to you in the one week it would be a bonus! I wish you a trouble free machine, and nothing but great carvings!

Ron

ljdm
06-14-2007, 09:11 PM
Paul, to keep you from being dissapointed, It has been normal for sears to run 2-4 weeks from when you order. (Mine was promised in a week, but took 4) If it gets to you in the one week it would be a bonus! I wish you a trouble free machine, and nothing but great carvings!

Ron
There's always hope.........I ordered one beginning of June, was supposed to be 15 days, got it in 1 week. Sears definitely the way to go, easy to return first 90 days - no problem, no questions asked. Just bring to nearest UPS center, use supplied return label.

oldjoe
06-14-2007, 10:27 PM
Just to let you know I ordered my first machine back in about March was able to pick it up at the store where I ordered it 8 days later. When that one went down I took it back and the only thing they asked me is what it actually is capable of doing. Second machine took about the same amount of time. It was at the store for a day before they got around to checking it in. If they gave you a promised date Sears is really working hard to stick to it. Too much compitition out there. Gotta keep the customer satisfied. :D
Have fun with your new toy Oh I mean enjoy your new tool.
And look at it this way you have a power tool that Norm A doesn't have. Bet he wished he did. Or does he and I just missed that episode :rolleyes:.
Hope I didn't offend anyone by mentioning a name.

Dan-Woodman
06-15-2007, 03:35 PM
I don't think Norm has anything with Sears on it .

swhitney
06-15-2007, 06:25 PM
Yeah, Bob V got it all by contract I think!!

rjustice
06-15-2007, 06:59 PM
I'm sitting here cracking up. I will fill you in on a little secret between my dad and I. We were sittting talking one saturday morning, and out of nowhere he blurts out "I hate him"... as we are sitting watching the new yankee workshop... I look over at him kind of shocked. This is very out of his character to say something that blunt. So of course i said who?... he says "NORM"... why i ask?.... "That man has every tool known to man, and your mom sits here and asks why cant i build her something like that!! ".... I thought i was going to crack up.

Now I will have to let dad know that i have something that Norm doesn't !

Funny stuff that Dads say!

Happy Fathers day this weekend guys!!!

Ron

eagle1
06-15-2007, 07:45 PM
When I brought my CW/CC home and carved my first project, my son was just mesmerized with how it worked and carved the wood. He stood there and watched the whole event and turned and said, “Tim the Tool Man does not have one of these!” I just laughed and thought that Binford Tools missed the boat on this one. LOL

Have a great Fathers Day --

Dean

pkunk
06-15-2007, 08:58 PM
When I brought my CW/CC home and carved my first project, my son was just mesmerized with how it worked and carved the wood. He stood there and watched the whole event and turned and said, “Tim the Tool Man does not have one of these!” I just laughed and thought that Binford Tools missed the boat on this one. LOL

Have a great Fathers Day --

Dean
Heheh, Happy fathers day!:D
Here's ont to put on your 'Carving Centers'. :cool::cool:

eagle1
06-15-2007, 09:07 PM
Paul,

My goodness Binford Tool Company has struck again.....ROFL

Dean

pkunk
06-15-2007, 09:48 PM
Paul,

My goodness Binford Tool Company has struck again.....ROFL

Dean
Ya know....there really is a 'Binford Tools' :D http://www.binfordtools.com/ (http://www.binfordtools.com/)
BUT, they don't have any tools. :confused:

eagle1
06-15-2007, 11:36 PM
Ya know....there really is a 'Binford Tools' :D http://www.binfordtools.com/ (http://www.binfordtools.com/)
BUT, they don't have any tools. :confused:

Paul,
That is really a strange site, no products or information... could have been made up for tooltime ????

Have a good Fathers day

Dean

rjustice
06-16-2007, 02:15 AM
I think im gonna over clock the CPU on this baby.

Add a 500 Gigabite hard drive

Add a 54 mb per second wireless networking card (to eliminate the memory card)

Replace the LCD with a 42" plasma screen (that will play DVD's of tool time once the carving begins)

Add the Binford 1275 turbo deluxe mini jet motor with 60,000 RPM for the spindle drive. (mounted from the ceiling, using a drive shaft from a 69 chevy Impala, with a 400 turbohydromatic transmission yolk, coupled direct to the spindle. Eliminating the need for the flex shaft)

Add an automatic dispenser for "Gunk industrial chain lube with Moly" to lube the U-joints on the driveshaft. - simply place the can upside down in the dispenser with the little red tube aimed in the general direction and your all set.

Rewire the servo's for 240 volts (to double the carving speed)

Replace the cog belts and pulleys with timing belts off of a 98' lexus ES300 (mine has almost 200,000 miles on it now so i can attest to the durability)

Strategically place (10) Binford high intensity Quartz Halogen lamps inside the cover to see.

Add a dorm room fridge to the side of my downdraft table (to provide cooling for the overclocked cpu, and spindle bearings) also alows for 24 cans of your favorite beverage.

Caution - make sure you are wearing your safety gear when applying power and hitting start. High voltage gloves, hardhat, safety glasses, steel toed boots, and if you are carving MDF be sure to have the Dust masks on !!!

Aaaaarggg aaaarrrgh aaaarrrrrrggggh aaaaarggg !!!

yeah, thats what i'm talkin' about !!!!

OK, its 3:15 am and i cant sleep..

Ron

Kenm810
06-16-2007, 07:47 AM
Ron, Don't forget!! http://www.carvewright.com/forum3/images/smilies/icon_razz.gif

rjustice
06-16-2007, 08:05 AM
Ken,
yeah, when that turbine starts winding up, it will be deafening!... thanks for pointing out what i obviously missed!! LOL :)

Also, I know you are pretty good at the mock up pictures. feel free to show what my machine would look like :D
I loved the exploded view of the machine:D

Ron

eagle1
06-16-2007, 09:19 AM
Ron ..... with a few modifications you can make this work. Just be sure your moly lube injection system is full. You can get this at Home Depot - you can do it, they can help !!!!!!

Dean

rjustice
06-16-2007, 09:50 AM
Lol !!!

This Is Great!

eagle1
06-16-2007, 11:23 AM
Ok all CW design engineers, we need to keep in mind while cutting the MDF, the 1/32 bits we are getting from Ron might get a little warm, so attached is the proposed cooling system to go with the other modifications. The downdraft system would be more efficient with this attached. Ken see if you can make the mods required to fit OK

Dean

Kenm810
06-16-2007, 04:28 PM
Sorry for the delay guys, but the yard work was calling me.

Here's a start, it looks like this one might remain a work in progress for a while.
Feel free to chime in with your add ons. http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_wink.gif

Ps. As per your requests I’ve changed the power source to straight nuclear electric and added a larger plasma monitor screen, adjustable of course. I also added a color Liquid crystal touch screen, audio GPS just above the key pad for continuous tracking of the carving bit at all times. The GPS unit can be programmed to answer to the name of your CW/CC machine. Also installed a new string of extra bright internal Led lights, dimmable if necessary, Dust Collector, Down Draft Blower, and a Twin Muffler Automatic Exhaust System. Plus just for good measure I threw in a few extra bells and whistles. http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_razz.gif

eagle1
06-16-2007, 06:21 PM
Well this project is coming together. It’s amazing what great minds can produce.

Ken, when I saw your design (*), I felt that it was going to require an adequate power source to prevent any interruption while the carving was taking place. I feel the attached power system should be capable of this; what do you think? May need a little tweaking to insure an uninterrupted supply of electricity. See if you can you incorporate this into the design.

Ron, you being the project engineer that started all this, what do you think so far. We need some high level management input.

Paul, Binford should have had us on their payroll......

Dean

(*) the truth is I laughed my butt off) :) :p

rjustice
06-16-2007, 11:04 PM
Dean,
Still need the 50" plasma Readout to replace the LCD.:rolleyes:

HerbO
06-16-2007, 11:35 PM
When I started reading this thread it popped into my mind ...Tim would try to add a 15 horse Briggs & Stratton. Boy was I thinking small. :)

eagle1
06-17-2007, 08:52 AM
Ron lets step up to this

We are talking about preformance here .....

The Japanese maker of the Panasonic brand has developed a prototype of a 103-inch (2.6 meter) plasma display panel with 1080p (progressive) HDTV resolution. The prototype can deliver more than two million pixels (1,920 x 1,080) of performance.

yeah, thats what i'm talkin' about !!!!

With a few modifications Ken can make it fit!!!!

Dean

nicobie
06-19-2007, 07:30 PM
I love this machine so much that when it had to make the trip to the motherland (back to texas for repair) I ended up with a winning bid on eBay for a fully functional machine... soooo now I have two (that was a real difficult thing to explain to my wife. hehe)

Later and Happy Carving

Scott

Would you like another one? I can't get mine to work.

nicobie@yahoo.com

swhitney
06-20-2007, 08:14 AM
Ohh, that might cause a marrital nightmare.. Sorry to hear you are havung a problem with your CC, what's wrong with it??