PDA

View Full Version : scanning a round, or turned object?

bdsearle
06-13-2007, 06:23 PM
Has any one tried to scan anything like a small baseball bat? I am waiting on my CC to come in and I have a few things that I have turned that I would like to scan. I would like to scan the piece, open the file up in the software, and put a logo on the scaned image to be engraved on the piece. Has anyone tried this, if so, do you have any tips for doing something like this? I know that I will have to build the scanning sled, and will probably have to make some sort of support to hold the piece while engraving the logo. Thanks

Dan-Woodman
06-13-2007, 08:58 PM
That sounds like a marvelous idea.
I have cut names through the small bats with a scrollsaw for customers years ago,but I like your idea. keep us informed. I don't have a scanner or I'd help you.

HerbO
06-13-2007, 11:37 PM
I am not sure if this will help but here is a Bat and Ball pattern.
This pattern will be free on my website. My pattern website is slowly coming together and will be up soon. If you would want me to take the ball out of the pattern give me a pm and I'll try to help.

HerbO

bdsearle
06-14-2007, 11:20 AM
I am not sure if this will help but here is a Bat and Ball pattern.
This pattern will be free on my website. My pattern website is slowly coming together and will be up soon. If you would want me to take the ball out of the pattern give me a pm and I'll try to help.

HerbO

Thanks, I will use it. Did you scan the bat your self? I got my scanning probe in today, so all I need is my CC machine. Once I get it, i am going to try and scan one of my turned pieces. I think if I can get it to scan it, I should be able to write what ever I want on it. I know that I will not be able to engrave "around" the piece, but I should be able to write vertical or just in one area, ...on the face. My only thing is I am worried that I might break something on the machine. Thanks again for the pattern

BobHill
06-14-2007, 02:13 PM
Hmmm, HerbO, a two sided carve (with tabs, of course) might just be neat to carve for some scale ball and bat purposes.

Bob

HerbO
06-14-2007, 11:37 PM
I scanned the mini bat and ball and came out OK. I have alot of noise in all of my scans and I am not sure if that is normal. As simple as the bat and ball it still took a couple of hours to clean it up for use. I opened the probe and cleaned the contacts that seemed to help but still alot of noise.
The bat would be an easy two sided carve. At least there wouldn't be any appendages to line up :)

Jeff_Birt
06-14-2007, 11:50 PM
Herb,

The probe will pick up all the little surface imperfections in the original too, including the grain of the wood in some cases. The other thing that has help me is unplugging the flex drive shaft. The flex shaft will actually rotate teh probe slightly as the head moves F-R becuase the flex shaft itself rotate in the head. Also make sure your original is REALLY clean so the probe tip does not pick up any dirt.

HerbO
06-15-2007, 11:52 AM
Hi Jeff,
I also unplugged the flexshaft before scanning. That is one of the great things of this forum finding tips like that.
Here is a screen shot of the antlers on a moose that I scanned. The antlers on the original is 4" wide x 2" high and are very smooth. You can see all of the noise. I have a artist creating scenes for me to scan and this moose was a test. If this is normal I will take the time to clean the scans up for use.
I just didn't want to take all the time and find out later that I was having a problem and didn't know it.

Jeff_Birt
06-15-2007, 11:57 AM
No, that looks like crap. Are you scanning on the high-quaility setting? Sure looks like the probe is 'sticking'. When you cleaned it did you apply a very small amount of silicone dialectric grease to the contacts and pivot points?

HerbO
06-15-2007, 12:23 PM
That is what I was hoping to hear. I called CW asking and they said there would be some noise but I could not convey how bad it was. When I opened the probe there was no grease on the contacts. I cleaned them with alcohol and there was nothing on the Qtip. I am assuming I can get that at an auto store and give that a try. I do scan on high-quaility. It was taking between 8 and 10 hours cleaning up a scan to make it carve ready and thought this can't be right.
Thanks!!
Herb

pastime106
06-15-2007, 12:41 PM
Herb,
I would have to agree the results there are far less then they should be. When scanning you will get a little bit that needs to be cleaned up but a non-scientific gues would be that your scanner is only working about half as good as it should. If I were in your position I may consider sending it back for exchange if a little bit of silicone will not fix the problem.

Tom

mtylerfl
06-15-2007, 01:36 PM
Herb,

So sorry to see that you are having problems with your probe.

What is the surface made of (for the antlers)? Is the surface creating friction with the tip so that the probe cannot track along smoothly across it?

My guess is either the probe is defective (or something in the wiring of the machine transferring the data is bad), or the item itself is causing the probe to "glitch".

Please let us know when you find out what the problem was.

HerbO
06-15-2007, 03:44 PM
I gave CW a call and the tech was pretty new. He had to keep asking someone my questions. He had me open the sensor option and the probe would say status closed and when you would move the probe it would switch between closed(not touched) and open when you would move it. Then it would stick in the open state once in awhile. He said that should not be a problem. Someone suggested to level the roller trays on the front and back.
I checked them with a straight edge and they do need adjusted. I still think it is the sticking probe. I will run tomorrow and try some grease and adjust the rollers and see what happens.
Thanks
Herb

mtylerfl
06-16-2007, 09:11 AM
I checked them with a straight edge and they do need adjusted. I still think it is the sticking probe. I will run tomorrow and try some grease and adjust the rollers and see what happens.
Thanks
Herb

Hello Herb,

If your scanning sled is 36" or less, try lowering the outfeed panels so that the sled doesn't ride along the rollers at all. For a short length (less than 36"), I find that the outfeed rollers are not necessary and you eliminate all possibility of "lift and fall" of your sled and/or wood.

HerbO
06-16-2007, 10:11 AM
Both of the outfeed rollers are down about an 1/8". The sled is 36"
My big question is when your probe is straight and not pushed the status registers closed. When I push mine in the different directions it shows open then let go it registers closed again. Sometimes when I let go the status stays open. Not sure if that is sticking part giving me the problems.
Thanks
Herb

rjustice
06-16-2007, 10:27 AM
Herbo,
It sure sounds like a problem to me. The way the probe works is simply moving till it opens, then it backs away till it is closed, makes a move and repeats... If it isnt giving you a crisp open and close when you test it, it sure doesnt sound like it could give you an accurate scan.

my 2 cents...

Ron

mtylerfl
06-16-2007, 10:29 AM
Both of the outfeed rollers are down about an 1/8". The sled is 36"
My big question is when your probe is straight and not pushed the status registers closed. When I push mine in the different directions it shows open then let go it registers closed again. Sometimes when I let go the status stays open. Not sure if that is sticking part giving me the problems.
Thanks
Herb

Hello Herb,

That does sound like it could be a problem alright. You may want to call CW again and see what a Tech advises.

HerbO
06-16-2007, 11:17 AM
My nephews wedding is today and in between the wedding and reception I going to try to get some grease at the auto parts store. One thing I noticed when I had the probe apart was the spring at the bottom was bent over. I straighten it a little(afraid to break it) but I am thinking the square nut on the buttom of the probe might be sticking in the spring since it is not centered proberly. Just another thought.
When I called yesterday the new tech said he ask an engineer and should not make a difference. After I explained my problem twice about the noise in the scan he ask me to turn the machine on so he could hear it. :)

rjustice
06-16-2007, 01:27 PM
LOL... did you tell him he might have to turn up the volume a little?... :)

Funny!

Also, I dont know if you caught this or not, but the grease you need is dielectric grease meant for electrical connections.

Ron

Kenm810
06-16-2007, 05:05 PM
Hi Herb,

Like Ron just mentioned, dielectric grease for electrical connections.
I picked mine up at the local True Value hardware store.

rpringle
06-17-2007, 12:00 AM
Ken,

Excelent picture, now I know what to look for.

Thanks,
Russ

Gman_Ind
06-18-2007, 09:15 AM
Some really good info here. My probe had debris in it and the spring was crooked as well, I loosened the screw holding it and was able to rotate it until is straightened out. the screw was hlding the spring in too high up on the spring and it bent over to one side. Buy backing the spring out I was able to level it out.

use the sensor menu to test it for proper function, the slightest movement should open the probe and it should close as soon as the preassure is released.
Good luck.

Kenny
06-18-2007, 04:28 PM
I scanned this golfball by cutting it, gluing it to my sled. It's just a matter of sawing it to the thickness you would lik. In the case of the tube of lub, glue it down, place a piece of wood to set the "thickness" and off you go.

HerbO
06-18-2007, 05:23 PM
I picked up some SD grease and took the probe apart. Put a small amount on all of the contacts and straighted the spring. Still sticking open. Took it apart again and put a little grease on the corners and the nut were in contacts the spring...still sticking open. Called CW and explained everything and they think it might be a wire probem. Sending a new one out. Also when the probe sticks in the open position and you turn the CW on it shows that your probe is unplugged. The main menu comes up like you are going to carve. If you push on the probe it will display Scan area.

benluz
06-18-2007, 05:52 PM
My nephews wedding is today and in between the wedding and reception I going to try to get some grease at the auto parts store. One thing I noticed when I had the probe apart was the spring at the bottom was bent over. I straighten it a little(afraid to break it) but I am thinking the square nut on the buttom of the probe might be sticking in the spring since it is not centered proberly. Just another thought.
When I called yesterday the new tech said he ask an engineer and should not make a difference. After I explained my problem twice about the noise in the scan he ask me to turn the machine on so he could hear it. :)

wait...I did hear the noise that shows up in the scans as little dot's...it's called Rap music.I've heard it not only makes niose show up it, can cause your cw to stop and shut down
Ben

HerbO
06-21-2007, 09:19 PM
Benluz
Reminds me of a Bruce Willis movie were the guy asks Bruce how can I cause him pain...Bruce - play some Rap music:)

Received the new Probe today and just finished a scan. The difference is like night and day. No more noise. DHL delivered in 3 days thats fast from Texas to Pa.

benluz
06-22-2007, 04:47 PM
Benluz
Reminds me of a Bruce Willis movie were the guy asks Bruce how can I cause him pain...Bruce - play some Rap music:)

Received the new Probe today and just finished a scan. The difference is like night and day. No more noise. DHL delivered in 3 days thats fast from Texas to Pa.

Glad your noise is gone....and the Bruce Willis line fits me pretty well.Also as you get some time on your machine and the sandpaper belts begin to wear and get less bite will also causome strange error,so when they start gettin gthat worn look just replace,better than them breaking and bunching up breaking the main drive gear,which is not hard to replace,but why do it if you can avoid it. Happy scanning !
Ben