PDA

View Full Version : Lyptus Sign

Gman_Ind
06-12-2007, 08:06 AM
I carved my first piece of Lyptus. The dense hard wood carved good once I edged it with masking tape and flattened it.
I was having quite a hard time getting it to carve. I was getting the clean board sensor error then a check board error. After taping it and fusing around with it I eyeballed it in the machine and noticed a crown in the board. I carved most all of the surface off so I was not going to sand it at all but In order to get it processed I ran it through the sander a dozen or so times and it almost polished up with just 120 grit.
Note: run light cuts with Lyptus, I overheated the sanding drum on pass 3. and burned the back a bit.
The Lyptus is hard and brittle I had no chip out but I am making outdoor signs with it so it has large blocky details.
I peeled the center masking tape off for the photos.
One photo with flash on the other without, shows more contrast.
We will have to see how it takes paint, sealer and the Michigan weather. I will update this thread once I get it painted.
The Lyptus sawdust has a reddish color to it and it stains clothes!

Dan-Woodman
06-12-2007, 04:26 PM
Thats beautiful wood.
Did you order the wood , or get it at a hardwood dealer .

Gman_Ind
06-13-2007, 10:55 AM
Dan,
The wood was picked up by the Mrs. at Woodcraft. They have a store near where she works, they see more of her than me down there.