PDA

View Full Version : Shiped 20 plaques

Gman_Ind
06-11-2007, 09:20 AM
Good news my machine is running great now and I shipped 20 plaques to my sister's store. Most are Centerline text carved through painted chipboard. Super fast to make. I had to put 2 layers of mashing tape on the Navy plaques or I would get the clear board sensor error. One is center line text carved into popular then the letters painted dark. A few are raster carves with fish for background. I stapled rope around one for a nautical effect. I will post photos as soon as I have then with me.

Dan-Woodman
06-11-2007, 04:15 PM
Hey Gman
I like the little swirls on the cabin plaque. haven't thought about using spiral for that .

Gman_Ind
06-12-2007, 07:47 AM
Thanks I just wanted something simple and quick so I made a full vector centerline text and vector detail. The fish plaques are raster cut, the white and blue 'Relax' and 4 fish welcome plaques are poplar.
The blue and red plaques take only about 8-10 minutes to carve.
I have a couple more photos.

Kenm810
06-12-2007, 09:33 AM
Mike,

I really like the crackle effect on a few of the Blue signs,
but they all look great http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif

Gman_Ind
06-12-2007, 09:59 AM
Mike,

I really like the crackle effect on a few of the Blue signs,
but they all look great http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif

Thanks Ken,
It was an experiment, I painted with glue/water first, let dry, quick sand, then painted with milk paint.

Kenm810
06-12-2007, 10:46 AM
Mike your experiment is a success,
I often work with and mix my own milk paints and I know their are several commercial
crackling agents and products available, but I too like the fun of expairamenting
it's another way of learning. http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_wink.gif

eagle1
06-12-2007, 11:51 AM
Mike your experiment is a success,
I often work with and mix my own milk paints and I know their are several commercial
crackling agents and products available, but I too like the fun of expairamenting
it's another way of learning. http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_wink.gif

What do you use to make milk paint?

Thanks - Dean

Kenm810
06-12-2007, 12:21 PM
Dean here's couple I found and used, there's a ton different recipes you can use online http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_biggrin.gif

Basic Milk Paint Recipe:

For approx. 1.5 Gallons Milk Paint
One Gallon Skim Milk
Two Cups Builders Lime also called Hydrated Lime ( Do NOT use Quick Lime)
One Quart Linseed Oil ( the boiled type )
1/2 Cup of Salt
Dye (Color) add in as needed
Strain with cheesecloth or fine mesh screen wire
Use within Two Days of mixing

Very Durable Weather Resistant Paint
5 parts cottage cheese or dry curd cheese
(Dry curd cheese is cottage cheese without cream or flavoring added. You can make a similar cheese by putting cottage cheese into cheesecloth and hanging it until it stops draining. Use cottage cheese if you’re in a hurry.)
1 part hydrated lime or slacked lime
Mix hydrated lime with water to make a paste. Add to cottage cheese and stir in well. Leave for few hours - the cheese lump will dissolve completely. Select some powder pigments and add to solution (Pigment powder must be lime proof). Add more water if too thick; powdered skim milk if too thin. Strain if you want a fine paint (old nylon stocking works well).

ps. Or you can go to most good art or paint stores and just buy it. --- not nearly as much fun
pps. Sorry Mike this is really your thread.http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/icons/icon11.gif

Digitalwoodshop
06-12-2007, 01:16 PM
Very nice work. I bet Greybeard is proud of the Font boards. The trick with the Script is to copy all your letters into your new sign and then select all of them and resize as a group. My error the first time was setting all the lower case text to say 2 inches high. They are not all the same height due to the style of text. Since I learned that, they group nicely. You can also select all of them and use the align left, right, top, bottom too. something else I learned. Was setting the restraint to get them lined up.

Again, Nice work.

AL

Gman_Ind
06-12-2007, 01:22 PM
Ken thats fine by me! I like sharing ideas, the crackle and milk paints are all part of this latest project, thanks for adding the info. As long as we are using with the CompuCarve (they pay the bills for this site) I think it is OK.
My wife actually paid a premium $ for the milk paint. It is my fault she was picking up parts for me at woodcraft and did some shopping for herself on the side.

rjustice
06-12-2007, 03:17 PM
Mike,
Very nice work. did you carve first and finish 100% after they were carved, or did you paint the faces, and then carve through the paint?

Ron

Gman_Ind
06-13-2007, 11:15 AM
The red and also the blue were painted first, then carved through the paint for a clean look. I used 100% vector Centerline text and graphics for a short carve time.
I painted the edges after carving and routed the bevel on a router table last.
I borrowed this idea after strolling through some tourist type stores. Someone else did similar plaques but it looks like they used a router and a sign template kit.

BTW I love watching the CC cut 3d centerline lettering!

rjustice
06-13-2007, 11:36 AM
I have been experimenting with the centerline vector cuts quite a bit lately as well. It certainly works well for what you are showing as your recent work...

Again very nice collection Mike. My daughter has a small retail shop that i am working to fill with things similar to these.. I have had a good bit of interest already.

Ron J.

Gman_Ind
07-10-2007, 02:04 PM
I sold a quite a few signs from my sisters store already. I was experimenting again this time with scrap drawer fronts, some were white prefinished ones, did the same centerline text and they look great, I had a somewhat damaged one with John Wayne's 'courage quote' so the Mrs talked me into distressing it to cover the damage. I whacked it a few times with a screw driver then scraped the edges through the paint in a few places, it looked old. It sold a few hours after placing it in the store! I didn't even photograph it, darn.
I did a maple one with painted centerline text that also sold the same day it was placed in the store. A couple hundred more and the CW will have paid for itself, not bad for a hobby. ;)
I received a call from Dedra @ CW and some of these signs might make it onto the LHR web site! they are starting a user project section and will have a user of the month section some time soon.
Everybody, post your best stuff here. Get on the web page. :)

just a test to see if we can post photos again: Yea it is fixed, this is the Lyptus house sign.