PDA

View Full Version : AL's Gloat

Digitalwoodshop
06-09-2007, 04:50 PM
I am starting a post of my projects and the goal is to combine Carving with Laser Engraving, Sublimation, Woodworking, and Color Laser Toner Transfer to make project that hopefully make money.

The project for today was cutting up $700.00 in wood to start making Quilt Racks for a show the end of the month. Thanks to Michael and others, I have some very impressive carving's to put on the quilt sides.

I will make one standard size and put different carvings and custom carvings as requested. The cross pieces will have a shouldered tendon and a tapered pin. They can mix and match to get the sides they like and pick the length of cross pieces to get what they want.

I tried cutting the outline but it takes too long. I cut a plexi pattern and will mount blocks to go in the square holes and run them over my router table with a cut out bit.

Here is the first installment.

AL

Kenm810
06-09-2007, 05:47 PM
Looks like your, jumping in with both feet,
it sure sounds and looks like you've got all the right tools
and know how the make a lot quilters happy http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_biggrin.gifhttp://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_smile.gifhttp://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_surprised.gifhttp://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_razz.gif

Wishing you the best of luck
and lots of sales

Digitalwoodshop
06-09-2007, 07:59 PM
Thanks Ken

Here is the cut out file for anyone to use. I am using 1.25 clear baluster and will cut a tendon and drill a hole for a tapered dowel. The file board size is set up for #2 Pine 1 x 12 (.83 x 11.25).

I was stopping the cut path 90% through and breaking off the square plug to prevent pinching. Now I blow air into the cut from the top clearing the sawdust out and that is easier, no more broken blocks.

I tried carve area but did not like the taper.

AL

Digitalwoodshop
06-10-2007, 09:32 AM
The most fun in the design of the quilt rack was making the outline.

I started by setting my grid to display, then checked the blocks to center the grid, snap to grid, and changed the grid size to 1 inch.

Selected the line, curve and connect tools and starting in one corner just played around until I had something unique and but not too busy.

Remember to connect each line segment as you draw so the cut path will work, you will see the node glow red before being connected.

Even used cut path to cut the tendon square. I was stopping the cut 90% through the cut and popping the square out as I had one explode when it snagged. Unattended the chips could have stalled the axis under a roller. I found a better way was just to blow air into the cut, keeping it clean.

The Carve Region left a tapered square hole. It would be nice if they added a square or rectangular hole option that drilled like the drill function using the cutting bit to carve region like the drill function.

AL

Dan-Woodman
06-10-2007, 11:03 AM
How about doing a carve region and useing the straight 1/8" cutting bit.
If it's not smooth around the edge then add a cutpath.

Digitalwoodshop
06-10-2007, 09:28 PM
I had thought about that but was concerned the side pressure from the very fast wood pecker it does would snap the bit. I like the way it drills holes, wish it could do square.

Anyone tried it?

Just had a thought and went off to designer to try it... Made 3 squares with cut path, all slightly bigger, and put them on top of each other.... I wonder what order it would carve in?

AL

Dan-Woodman
06-11-2007, 04:09 PM
Al
I think it will carve the largest first,thats what it did when I drilled pocket screw holes and then countersunk on top of the hole. good luck and just try it ,if it don't work out then you have another piece of kindlin for the fireplace.

later Daniel

Digitalwoodshop
06-14-2007, 08:35 PM
I made progress today. Yesterday I banged together a router table to do the cut outs. Tried a 1/4 inch spiral bit and guide bushing but that didn't work too well, the brass bushing didn't hold up and bent. It caught a knot and slammed, chewing the side of the bushing.

Went with a 1/2 inch bit and the heaviest brass guide bushing sanded down to size to fit the 1/4 inch pattern.

That went well but I will get some 1/2 inch down spiral so it spits the chips out the top. Hopefully it won't push the pattern up. Did 10 sets today until tonight I cut into my pattern. So I will make another in the morning.

AL

On a side note... I have cut about 30 pieces so far and the cross piece holes have fit my template for 20 pieces. I cut one tonight and did not engage the red lock handle and when I went to cut it out the lower single hole is 1/2 inch long and wouldn't fit on my pattern. I always use it.

So in this case, it made a difference. No knots of imperfections on the brass roller wood track.

Digitalwoodshop
06-15-2007, 09:32 PM
Blew off the craft show in the morning.... Just not ready... This one man show takes time to make stuff... Cut another template and made a jig to cut the shoulders on the cross pieces. Made some tapered dowels and they worked great. There will be another craft show in September. My focus is a 2 day Quilt show in 2 weeks.

Must baby sit the cutting of the blocks, they jump out or fall down. Could cause a axis error.

AL

Digitalwoodshop
06-17-2007, 08:02 PM
I was working on my Quilt Racks and ran to the back storage room and on the Laser Exhaust pipes I see a visitor to the shop....

He was looking for lunch.....

AL

He fell a short time later and headed under the shop to rest. Saw him later under the shop.

b.sumner47
06-17-2007, 10:36 PM
what kind was it and where my gun? No the big gun.do you think it"s a new scanner?

HillBilly
06-18-2007, 12:39 AM
At least I`m glad to say it don`t seem to be you`ll be hav`n any of them pesky rodent problems.

By the way ya don`t happen to be a sell`n the "hatchlings" for a good price would you ?

Some folks might be amazed at just what they can swallow at times... <grin>

Digitalwoodshop
06-18-2007, 10:38 AM
We have about 20 chickens and the Black Snakes go into the chicken nest and sit. The Chicken's hop on top and lay eggs. The Black Snakes eat the eggs whole.... Here 2 Snakes fight over a single brown egg.

Pocono Mountains of Pennsylvania.

AL

Digitalwoodshop
06-18-2007, 10:44 AM
Had a cracked board wedge in the machine today causing a jam and as designed something must give. The plastic gear broke.

Talked to Chris (Bard) and I will get one soon, they have a few in stock.

I am down with this waiting for the part for this machine and the other one at Texas with a stripped square drive.

Here are some pictures.

AL

rjustice
06-18-2007, 11:26 AM
Must baby sit the cutting of the blocks, they jump out or fall down. Could cause a axis error.

AL

Al,
What if you did a couple of offset paths to the inside, so that it would completely cut up the square hole instead of dropping a slug?

Ron

Digitalwoodshop
06-18-2007, 12:39 PM
I tried that placing cut path on top of cut path smaller in the center, but it cut the outside first defeating the purpose.

A drill function doing square would be a nice addition to the tool list.

I am only being charged $5.00 for the gear, a bargain in my book. They only had 5 left so I couldn't get extras this time. It was not fair that Warranty pay for my error.

Chris was very helpful.

AL

Digitalwoodshop
06-22-2007, 09:12 PM
Sometimes the little blocks sink between the belts then jam. I put a wood screw on a dowel to help fish them out.

Progress continues.... Well until a tree near my shop split and took down the power wires 2 poles away. Lost the board in the machine.

AL

Gman_Ind
06-22-2007, 09:57 PM
Nice enterprise Al!
I can do without the snakes, my cats keep the rodents at bay and are nicer on the lap in the winter.
The old tom cat brought me 3 rodents for fathers day. The last chipmonk was still quite alive and I had to catch it myself, nice present.
The chipmonks around here dig under the sidewalk up to the house and cause it to settle and crack.
I use a 1/2" bearing cutout bit not sure if it would be small enough for your detail though.

Digitalwoodshop
06-23-2007, 09:08 AM
I am using a 1/2 inch bit and a oversize bushing to cut the outside. It was too much machine time to do it on the Carver.

Making standard rail jigs to cut the shoulder of the rails so a year from now they are still the same size.

I plan to decorate the front rail with things like "Handmade by ....." Merry Christmas, Easter, etc.... Make them changeable to the season.

AL

Digitalwoodshop
06-24-2007, 08:52 PM
The fun continues and the carve machine is working great. The fans blow the chips away keeping them from getting under the wood piece or template. I was using length to cut both shoulders but found a errors in my length caused different length between the shoulders. I made a new jig for the chop saw with stops so I can cut the same size a year from now. Made a second shoulder cutting jig. The first uses length to cut the first end. Then I use the shoulder in the first side to cut the second shoulder. I will always get the same length between shoulders for a standard. I will print on some rails Merry Christmas and other seasons, the rails will all be interchangeable. With the tapered dowels a quick change.

I picked up another $800.00 in lumber... I hope they sell.... I still have the Solar 911 Signs to do.... My prototypes come on each night.

Sleep... Overated....

AL

pkunk
06-24-2007, 09:28 PM
Al, would you post some particulars on your LED's & how you power them? :)

Digitalwoodshop
06-24-2007, 10:42 PM
I am going to shoot myself in the foot as I wanted to be the first one to eBay with this Solar 911 Sign idea but here it goes....

They are Solar powered LED Christmas Lights. Look at this eBay auction. 130126491828

This is me (igonavy) buying 2 RED LED sets for a Fire House 911 mailbox sign I have in the works.

I have a contact in Kowloon, Hong Kong, Stella, my old Navy Stomping grounds. I am able to get them in Case Lots of 40 sets. The US Suppliers I was working with only wanted to deal in 5000 sets. Stella is shipping a case as I type, it's Monday over there... 20 red and 20 Green. I ordered this eBay auction because I couldn't get in touch with her at first and needed them quickly.

I already have a case of Blue and a case of White.

The white PVC board works great with them and will not yellow per the manufacture.

I am adding 2 additional NI-MH AA batteries to the inside via a Radio Shack holder. I am buying extra batteries at Home Depot and places like that. I make sure to use all the same type batteries in each unit. As in the one's from Hong Kong are paired with a set removed from another Hong Kong light. Then 4 Home Depot AA's goes in the other one. This keeps batteries in parallel from seeing the week set or different manufacture set as a load on the good batteries. Like 2 glasses of water with a connector straw in the bottom... The both seek the lowest level.

I have been getting Reflective Vinyl on eBay too and it works GREAT on the PVC. So not only is this sign LED powered but reflective as well and with the ability of the Carve Machine this is a VERY BIG IDEA. I let them sit 48 hours after sticking the vinyl before carving. I use a protective film from Laser bits. com, a paper Laser mask over the sign to prevent roller damage to the vinyl.

I route out the bottom to make a pocket for the LED's. The hole size of .175 works great for the LED's that I put RTV around as I stuff the back of the sign.

They are 60 LED sets and I designed my signs around this but I am still experimenting with lopping off extra LED's and adding some.... I think the resistor might be built into the LED I have not looked that close yet.

I think that about covers it. Anyone interested in contacting Stella for case lots email me at digitalwoodshop@aol.com I will forward your eMail to her. Never met the lady but I trust her, this is my 3rd order.

I have found the 1 x 12 PVC to be great for the signs but have also used the 5/4 thicker stuff too. I use a router sled to cut the pocket in back.

Light the LED's as you install them as I bent over one and it shorted out the string and it was a bear to find later.

I think this would be a GREAT addition to RC's Sign shop.... SOLAR FRIENDLY Signs.... The pole on the charger is used to stack additional units.

The light dark on off is done by the solar panel, it's charging or it's lit.... If a car headlight strikes the charger plate it will dim or turn off so placement and shielding is important.

I am installing a RCA plug inside the bottom pole hole and will plug the sign in via a RCA plug. This makes service AFTER the sale easy, send them a replacement charging head and they just plug it in. In the picture I had some D batteries hooked up and working. AA work but in the winter when I started this project they would only light about 6 hours after sunset in the cold short days. Longer in the summer sun....

Good Luck everyone.... Post pictures if you do them. Hopefully you will see me on eBay with them first..... I have put a lot of time into this project.

I have learned SO much here, I don't mind sharing.

AL

Digitalwoodshop
06-24-2007, 11:40 PM
I will re post the one picture that is faulting out in the morning. I am on my bedtime laptop computer. In searching for LED suppliers I contacted many companies in China wanting to sell me LED's. Learned a lot and opening the many eMails with attachments, of quotes and pictures I got a worm that killed this hard drive. Had to reformat and start over, lucky I had back ups.

Even worked with www SiliconeSolar com that has an office in San Diego less then 4 miles from where I lived for 13 years... But they want to deal in truck loads not cases. And no colors, white that's it... or mixed colors.

I purchased no less than $400.00 in Solar LED's from different suppliers.... Most turned out to be junk and wouldn't work for my plan. I had been planning the LED signs for a while, planning to hand wire them with my trusty soldering iron. Seeing the Christmas lights in solar LED was exciting for me.

Found some Solar LED's that look like the ones I am using but only have 1 AA battery, NOT GOOD..... Got some also with the big box... and some AC powered to measure the voltages. Use my own solar panel and battery cut off the AC box. Scrapped that idea.

The red has just became available. First it was white, then blue, then green, then red..... They are pitching RED, WHITE, BLUE LED's for the 4th..... The RED will also be used to make Fire Department LED signs like "Fire Scene" or "Coin Drop" and reflective RED and BLUE vinyl plus white PVC board for a sharp sign.

Expect the price to drop in months, they are a bit pricey for now but worth it. Shipping is the killer. Even got some from Australia... Another stomping ground in the Navy visiting Western Australia twice 10 years apart.

For a one man shop I sure do have a bunch of unfinished projects in the works... Sleep.... overrated... it's 1 AM....

That's my gloat and I am sticking to it.

AL

Digitalwoodshop
06-26-2007, 11:08 AM
The fun continues today with drilling the holes for the dowels. I see 2 birds hatched in the nest that the Snake was interested in.

AL

In the bottom left photo you can see a wood side that my router went over the guide and chewed the plastic guide. In a word " BONDO " Car Body putty fixed the guide just like new and QUICK.... It was caused by sawdust build up under the guide.

BoardSilly
06-26-2007, 12:44 PM
I am going to shoot myself in the foot as I wanted to be the first one to eBay with this Solar 911 Sign idea but here it goes....

AL

I appreciate your enthusiasm, but solar powered house number signs have been around for sometime now. There are many manufacturers of them and they are widely and readily available.

Digitalwoodshop
06-26-2007, 09:37 PM
Cleaning up tonight after my machine ran for most of the day today, I was shocked to find way TOO much side play in the carving bit in the machine.

My first machine arrived back today and I was able to compare the two and after some troubleshooting. The result was obvious, the bit holder had worn in the 80 plus hours of carving. My carve motor is at 117 hours, it came with about 20 being an Orphan with a Z Encoder problem.

About 60 Quilt Rack sides with the animals at about an hour each. The cutting bit is good along with the V 90. I have a few new carving bits so I am back in business. Something to look at before changing a chuck.

Here are some pictures as you know me I would be Board Silly if I didn't share.

AL

pkunk
06-26-2007, 09:43 PM
Wow, that last pic looks like you took it under a microscope! Looks like some cheap steel to boot.:rolleyes:

rjustice
06-26-2007, 09:46 PM
Hey Al,

How deep are you carving your designs? I would love to get some feedback as to how long my bit adapters run without showing the wear you have demonstrated here using the stock holders. Mine are made from a prehard material that is significantly harder than the stock ones. If you are less than .6 you can still cut in one depth, and i think you would also see an improved finish.

Ron

Digitalwoodshop
06-26-2007, 10:06 PM
My feeling is something must wear as it is held by the spring loaded ball bearings. 80 hours is a lot to expect of the "Wood Pecker"... I wonder if the bit is getting dull too.... Feels good.

A good use for that Sony macro lens.

Just something to watch for as you swap bits. I am going to be out of
Warranty soon.... But this sure is fun... better than being Board Silly....

AL

pkunk
06-26-2007, 10:13 PM
I'm never bored, but some think I'm a silly old man.:rolleyes:

Digitalwoodshop
06-26-2007, 10:25 PM
I am using 1 x 12 #2 pine. This is how deep I am going. Best Quality. I am doing a few of the tourist towns plus I will take special orders.

AL

Jeff_Birt
06-26-2007, 11:05 PM
I've noticed that when you start gettign divits on the tool holder (bit adapeter) that it tends to be harder to release from the chuck too. I just dressed up one of mine with a fine file (just the ridges around divots NOT the taper) and it was much easyier to release. It seems that a bit harder material for the tool holders would be nice but if it's too hard the chuck will wear instead.

rjustice
06-27-2007, 05:17 AM
You guys make a very good point about wanting the proper thing to wear. I felt the same way. I did my homework, and found that ball bearings are very hard - depending on the supplier, 60-80 Rc... The original bit adapters that came with the machine checked at 15-18 Rc. The ones i made are 28-30 Rc. So, the bit adapter would still be the softer part and the one that would wear, but they are almost twice as hard as the originals. Should hold up much better.

Be cautious about how much you file off of the area where the balls seat. The more material removed in that area, the less spring tension that is pulling the bit adapter into the chuck. I actually left a few thousandths extra here to get a little more chuck tension. It will also allow the balls to seat in a different position inside the QuickChuck (which is no doubt worn as well)

With Al doing this much repetitious work, it is excellent testing grounds. If the depth isnt too deep which it doesnt look like it is. Perhaps trying one of the 4 flute 1/16 tools in a 1/8 bit adapter could provide some good feedback.

Just thinking out loud :rolleyes:

Ron

Digitalwoodshop
06-27-2007, 08:10 AM
Sign me up... I will use them.

Send me a price list.

AL

I ended up retiring the bit holder that was in the middle picture, it was loose too.

Digitalwoodshop
07-01-2007, 09:24 PM
Did the show, made some money. Was worth it.

AL

Unable to get any pictures to upload. Erased all my pictures older than 2 weeks. ?

DSC05876_WEB.jpg:
Upload of file failed.

Matty
07-01-2007, 09:36 PM
Good to here that you had a good show well done,
The forum is having problems with uploading images I believe. I have post a couple of images to the forum but had to use external links from my own web server.

It’s about time this was fixed.

Matty

Digitalwoodshop
07-02-2007, 08:43 AM
Matty,

Thanks for the update..... I thought I was on the bad side of the Forum Gods for being a picture hog....

AL

Digitalwoodshop
07-10-2007, 08:21 PM
Since the picture posting is working again here are some pictures.

AL

Digitalwoodshop
07-10-2007, 08:31 PM
Clock pictures. A twist on the tourist clock. Sold unfinished.

AL

Gary
07-13-2007, 12:33 AM
Hey, All,

Sorry I'm so slow in posting, but I've been offline for the last month with dsl and computer problems. Progress comes really slow in this part of the country!

I was amused at Al's snake pics, as I have an infestation of all kinds of snakes, since they're all over down here (near the Tennessee River). I think Al's snake is a Black Rat snake, common here and in PA, all the way to Michigan. My cat interrupted a 7 footer trying to make love to a smaller rat snake, and got bit up pretty badly on the face, almost losing an eye. I left the back door open the other night because it was cool out and I wouldn't have to run the ac. I wasn't worried because the back porch is screened in to keep varmints out. Wouldn't you know it, I got up after the late movie to go the bathroom, and almost stepped on a four footer just outside my bedroom door. I'm not afraid of snakes, so I didn't panic, but didn't want to pick it up and piss it off, so I nudged it into the basement, where it could go outside under the garage door. If you catch them, they have a tendency to wrap themselves tightly around your arm, then shit all over your arm. The smell will make you puke. They climb trees and eat eggs and roosting birds.

Believe it or not, it's illegal in Tennessee to kill a snake, poisonous or not.

Sorry I'm off-topic, but just had to reply to the snake story.

By the way, Al, your projects are lovely. I hope I can make some projects now that my computer is back up and running.

gary

Gary
07-13-2007, 01:00 AM
I'm never bored, but some think I'm a silly old man.:rolleyes:

Straighten up, soldier! Nothing silly going on here. You get old, you start to feel inadequate. Hell, you start to slow down. You don't have to make any excuses, be proud of what you were and what you did. I was there, know the sacrifices made by all. Never ever make any excuses for what you were and what you did. You served this country to the best of your ability.

Digitalwoodshop
07-13-2007, 02:11 AM
Thanks Gary,

Found a yellow Rattler all curled up next to the path to the back garage yesterday.... Watched him or her off and on for about 2 hours, I took some pictures. Found him at 7 PM and while watching him in full view he did not move. Watching from behind a old chicken coop, he stuck his head up and opened his mouth and yawned.... Wow what a picture that would have made... So at 9 PM I come up from the shop and he is still there.... Next morning, still there.... By Noon the tin roof of the 4 foot high old unused chicken coop shielded him, half sun, half shade.... Then we noticed the Cardinals in the berry tree above him and realize he is just waiting for the cardinal and blue jay's to land next to him for the dropped berries.... Smart....

We fenced off both ends of the path as we have 3 dogs. I just wonder where his buddy is? We saw 1 last year but 8 the year before, 4 at once near the house. That was not fun.... Using a long handled flat shovel my brave step father moved all 4 into the woods...... Like Disney... they enjoyed the ride... We don't kill them... I made some VERY LONG tongs...

He is still there tonight......

AL

Digitalwoodshop
07-13-2007, 02:29 AM
It's 3 AM and I am just getting to bed after completing a rush project for the local Chamber. They needed a set of 3 signs for a tourist info shack and asked me if I wanted to donate the signs?. Sure, I said....

I used 1.029 and centerline text in bold and WOW was I impressed. Used 2 laptops and the RF network to swap the files. If someone could PM me on how to set up both to work on one computer I would appreciate it. Tried on this laptop too last night and only had 1.029.

I sublimated the logo on a aluminum plate to be attached after their painter does the signs. This way his paint matches.

Tried something new tonight. Moving the 40 sets of Quilt Racks around I see the raw wood is getting dirty. I ordered some PVC Shrink plastic in 14 inch wide tube. Seal the end and drop in the wood sign or Quilt Rack. Seal and shrink.... The hair dryer didn't work too well so I stuck it under my 400 degree Sublimation Heat Press. That worked GREAT!!!!!.

Made some Coffee Cups and Yellow pad holders for the Ladies too. They are sublimated too with the heat press and a mug heat press.

The late hour was worth it. Did have a tracking problem with the brass roller earlier today and posted pictures in another post.

AL

BobHill
07-13-2007, 08:48 AM
I hope you don't have small kids that have access to your yard, Al. I've never seen a kid yet that wasn't curious about critters, especially if not immediately with an adult. Rattlesnakes and kids are made for trouble. Normally our snakes stay away from developed areas, but there are so many new construction sited now in this part of Florida, that whenever a new area is being dug, scraped, or otherwise changed, one has to be aware to be sure all rattlesnakes and coral snakes are not changing into your location. Last thing I want to hear is a rattle when going to step into my car, from a visiter resting in the shade under the car. Makes the small hairs on the back of the neck prickly, that's for sure. Or to hear a kid say, "gee look at the pretty snake, with all those red and yellow and black bands."

Bob

Digitalwoodshop
07-13-2007, 09:08 AM
There are no kids here just me and my Step Father. This time of year makes for interesting walks with the dogs to the brook.

There are a few summer kids camps here. My brother worked at one for many years. The only problem was the City Kids wanting to pet the Pretty Kitty with the white stripe down it's back..... No, don't try to pet that kitty....

This week I had a black bear mark a tree between my shop and the house.... Then left a load of poop in my driveway. Last year a baby was killed by a black bear, left on a porch, the Mom inside in Upstate New York. Very tragic.

Pocono Mountains, come see the animals....

AL

The Snake is still there...

Gary
07-14-2007, 12:42 AM
Leave the snakes alone, just be careful where you walk!! We had a serious bear attack this spring, mauled one child, killed another, was on all the news channels. Just a few miles down the road from where I live. There was a cougar in the back yard last spring, the same day the neighbor's dog disappeared. Chiggers are the worst, tho, I'm allergic to them and every bite swells up like a boil. I spent two weeks last summer without wearing any clothes, and it wasn't a pretty sight.

I'm done with the off-topic rambling, I promise there won't be any more. Please don't spank me again.

By the way, I'm planning to scan some of my guns, if the probe doesn't scratch them. If it does, I'll probably make the CopyCarver and see what kind of job it does.

Has anybody been to Gatlinburg, Tennessee? That's a magnet for the kind of carving the machine can do. Somebody should check it out. I can't do it because I can't walk anymore.

Sorry for rambling so bad, but that's what I do best. Good luck to you all.

Gary

Kenm810
07-14-2007, 08:33 AM
Hey Gary,

Thanks for the heads up comment ( magnet for that kind of carving machine ) on Gatlinburg, Tennessee, we have a trip planned to travel there this fall. Well – really my wife Barb planned the trip for one of her Quilting Expo things and I naturally have to tag alone. Now I too have something to look forward to. I’ll do some research on the subject between now and then to see where to go and what to look for. See Gary being a little off subject once in a while can help sometimes, Course Barb says My mind wanders off subject more every day as I get older and that I’m off my Rocker most of time.

And by the way Gary I like your sign off ( It's not a hammer, it's a microadjuster! )
I’ve been known to refer to my 22oz. Hitter as My One Tooth Saw on more then one Occasion! http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_razz.gif

rjustice
07-14-2007, 10:51 AM
Leave the snakes alone, just be careful where you walk!! We had a serious bear attack this spring, mauled one child, killed another, was on all the news channels. Just a few miles down the road from where I live. There was a cougar in the back yard last spring, the same day the neighbor's dog disappeared. Chiggers are the worst, tho, I'm allergic to them and every bite swells up like a boil. I spent two weeks last summer without wearing any clothes, and it wasn't a pretty sight.

I'm done with the off-topic rambling, I promise there won't be any more. Please don't spank me again.

By the way, I'm planning to scan some of my guns, if the probe doesn't scratch them. If it does, I'll probably make the CopyCarver and see what kind of job it does.

Has anybody been to Gatlinburg, Tennessee? That's a magnet for the kind of carving the machine can do. Somebody should check it out. I can't do it because I can't walk anymore.

Sorry for rambling so bad, but that's what I do best. Good luck to you all.

Gary

Gary,
I am working on a solution to keep the probe from scratching items. Should have it early next week, and can start evaluating a solution. I have several ideas going for it.

Ron

Digitalwoodshop
07-14-2007, 11:05 AM
Ken,

Do I see a Quilt Rack in your Wife's future? I made a CD Storage rack version, I still need to cut it out and take pictures.

The Sept 07 WOOD magazine has a break down Baby CRIB that got my attention. After the 911 signs that my next adventure. Stores in a flat storage box, great design. Will try to do it on the Carve machine.

AL

The Snake finally left. But now where is he??? Watching where I step....

Dan-Woodman
07-14-2007, 11:56 AM
Al
There are several good projects in that issue for the cw.

later Daniel

Digitalwoodshop
07-15-2007, 08:37 PM
Today was a productive day. Carved 3 signs at 2 hours 35 min each learning the 1.029 designer options. Since I ended up using the Calisto MT text that is in 1.029 that is not in my 1.120 I used 1.029.

Got an error 24 a few times when I went to load the card. I had found that I had used center both when I got it with 2 different projects. If I manually positioned center both then it loaded no problem. Just thought I would mention it.

In my picture, the one in front was carved first, the letters run together and I used bold. The second one used spacing of 25 but turned bold off. The letters are too thin. The third one is spacing 35, bold on and stretched the letters down to make them bigger. The 3rd one is in PVC board, second one pine, first one plastic coated press board shelf material.

As I mentioned in another post, I put in a new bit and holder and after the first sign carved the bit wobbled.... Used it and did 2 more 2 hour 35 min carvings then tonight after the pressure was off I changed the chuck.

Holding the Allen turn the chuck wrench clockwise to loosen. Heated the chuck 3 times with the hair drier. Couldn't find that posted anywhere when I needed it. Even e-mailed Ron asking him... He got back to me quickly. Great Guy!!!

Can you add font's to the designer?

AL

Lin
07-15-2007, 09:11 PM
AL, When I have Designer open and use text on a board. All of the fonts I have available in my system are available in Designer also. Even the odd ball Woodtrax software font that is in my system. All your fonts arent' available for use in Designer? I also have several fonts that I don't use much so I've never installed them but they can still be used if you open them then just minimize them. They will be availble in your graphics programs and also in designer as long as they are open. I do this all the time with fonts for scrolling. I have a file in my documents for these seldom used fonts.
Lin

pkunk
07-15-2007, 09:27 PM
#1 false belief is that the fonts are in Designer. Believe it or not, Designer uses whatever font in on your computer-Windows or Mac OS.
(Al, you just couldn't find it) :)
#2 i has been running around the forum for awhile. The idea that some sawdust on your pressure rollers will change the dept of cut. Hogwash!:rolleyes:
Think about it. All the rollers do is exert down pressure on the board. There is no depth sensor associated with them. The bit sensor is what tells the software where the surface of the board is. As long as the rollers (sawdust encrusted or not) have down pressure, the board stays down. I at one point last year had close to 1/2" of sawdust on the board for hours and the depth never changed. Clean is good, but not necessary.

BobHill
07-16-2007, 08:58 AM
Al,
To widen a bit on the Font situation addressed by Pkunk, as he indicated, all fonts used in Desiger come from YOUR system, not Designer. Designer has no fonts of it's own. AND, if I, for instance, use any number of my over 3000 font file collection in Designer, then Save that file as a MPC and send that file to you or anyone else, and YOU or that other person doesn't have the font that I used, your system will substitute one of YOUR fonts in place of mine (called "panose" procedure). Thus your carving will not look like my original, unless either I send you the font file I used, or you already have it. The only way that a font can be used without panose being a factor, when it's not common to both systems, is by creating the design in a program that will save it as a raster image file, which you then can make into a PTN file and bring that into Designer. Then it's treated as it does any other raster image. Some fonts, however, do come with all Windows (and MAC) systems, so it's not like there are NO common fonts to all systems.

Font use and substitution, bye the way is not specifically a Designer thing. That's the way ALL programs use fonts (unless they specifically have their own fonts, or require only the use of their specific fonts.

Bob Hill
Tampa Florida

Digitalwoodshop
07-16-2007, 12:56 PM
Thanks for the input. It's a learning experience. That makes sense that the font's are on your computer.

OK now someone tell me how to have 2 versions of Designer on your computer? When I down loaded and installed 1.029 my 1.20 went away at least I could not find a way to open it. Do I need to go in to add programs and re install it or re activate it. DO you rename it prior to down loading?

Did the same on 3 computers. I am confused....

I am using my back up computer for the older designer and don't like hauling it away from the shop every night as it is my business record and program back up.

Just using one computer in the shop would be much better. I know I am just missing something.....

My Analog Computer background just is not any help here... Where is that ball intergerator?..... or 10 turn pot....

AL

BobHill
07-16-2007, 01:14 PM
Al,
I don't believe you can run more than one version of Designer on a single computer, and why would you want an earler version anyway? I'm sure you have a reason for that, but I can't think of one. You should be able to use and open anything made on an earler version, and the machine should also accept those MPC files on your updated Flash card. Your Designer and your Flash card version should match.
Bob

rjustice
07-16-2007, 01:20 PM
I have both versions running on the same computer. You have to install to a different directory.

Ron

BobHill
07-16-2007, 01:33 PM
Thanks, Ron. I would have thought that the installer would search out any other version, but apparently not. Question: why two different versions? My curiosity bug sincerely would like to know.
Bob

rjustice
07-16-2007, 02:02 PM
Bob,

This is top secret.... (1.029 supported centerline)... shhhhh! dont tell anyone.

I actually thought about telling you this information would come on a need to know basis... but i figured you might call me a punk too....LOL :D

Ron

Digitalwoodshop
07-16-2007, 09:11 PM
I finally paid attention to the guys doing Centerline text and loaded 1.029 and was in HOG HEAVEN when I saw how fast I could make signs in Centerline. I have been using Greybeard's Font boards copy and paste each letter. Like writing a letter with postage stamps.... I am grateful for them but typing on the keyboards is better. Plus the distance between the letters is not MANUAL like it has been for me for 4 months. Plus the variety of text available. I only had 1 script and 2 block letter font's. They were all I needed for the Solar 911 Signs and was grateful for them but this is better. I am doing MORE signs now.

SO the reason I want 2 versions is I have a bunch of files in 1.20, and I am sure they will work in 1.029 but for now I just use 1.029 on a different computer and save them on both computers using the RF network to move them. I upload with 1.029 or 1.120 .

Tonight is is letter painting night, Quilt Racks and Clock Signs. Another 1 AM night...... Getting ready for a weekend show if I can pull it off.... I am still not on the official list.... It's a Audubon show, the biggy for this area. I really need to be a vendor.. Been trying to get in since April, being blown off by the guy running it.... Last time we talked it was.... "A possibility".....

Next topic.... I did not see "Print to File" in the quick search of the user's guide. I am looking for a way to get "Screen Prints" of Designer Artwork for Customer Proof's. I have been taking pictures of my Laptop Screen with poor results. I tried to "Print to File" but I cannot find the result.

Anybody?

The CD Rack version of the Quilt Rack is cutting as I type, I will post the file when I work out the square hole cut out details. I think this one is the final change.

AL

rjustice
07-16-2007, 09:44 PM
Al,
There are several ways to do what you are asking.

1. You can simply hit "Print Scrn" button which copies a picture of your screen to a buffer. Then if you go into a word document you can hit CTL V which will paste the buffer into a word document.

2. If you have CorelDRAW X3 it comes with Corel CAPTURE X3 (at least mine did) and it seemed a little cumbersome to figure out how it works, but did fine once i "got it"

3. Download a shareware program called snagit. It does exactly what corel does, but i think its a little more user friendly.

Hope this helps!

Ron

Digitalwoodshop
07-17-2007, 10:21 PM
Thanks Ron,

Did the Screen Print in Designer then Control V in AOL write a e-mail and got the screen print. That is perfect. Learned something NEW. Thanks !!!!

That will make customer proof's so much more readable....

Second problem, loading 1.029 Designer so both are usable on one computer. Tried a few times within C drive with no luck, same problem, 1.120 would go away and 1.029 would give me the 24 day message.

Went in to D Drive where my System Restore is and made a folder and moved 1.029 over and then activated it. That did the trick.... 1.120 is in C Drive and works every time and 1.029 is in D Drive and works every time. 1.029 has all my files from 1.120 too....

If I drag the icon of 1.029 off the D Drive to the desktop it stops working... No big deal just open the D Drive to open it. Desktop must be C Drive?

I get the 24 day message on 1.029. What happens when I use up my demo time? Can I download it again? Can 1.029 be activated?

Thanks guys for the help, I can quit humping my back up computer around now.

AL

rjustice
07-18-2007, 07:12 AM
Al, what is happening with your desktop shortcuts, is that they are simply overwriting one another. Both versions were there and would work when you had them both on the "C" drive. (at least if you gave one of them a new destination directory). If you right click and click copy on your designer Icon that is on your desktop, and then in a blank area on your desktop right click and paste, it will copy another icon to your desktop. At that point you need to name each of them something unique. I simply changed the names to "Des_1.029" and the other to "Des_1.119". Then if your right click on the "Des_1.029" icon and click on properties, it will bring up a dialog box where if you are in the "Shortcut" tab - you need to change both the "Target:" path and the "Start in:" path to be where you loaded the new version to. You now have both versions on one desktop that you can bring up at any time.

Hope that made sense..

Ron

Digitalwoodshop
07-18-2007, 10:08 AM
Ron,

That was the trick.... Thanks !!!. Have both on the desktop renamed.

AL

rjustice
07-18-2007, 10:42 AM
Al,

I'm glad i could help!

Ron

Digitalwoodshop
07-22-2007, 12:38 PM
Didn't get into the Audubon Show this time around, next year.

Made progress with the CD Racks looking to the next Craft Show. Building my inventory over time.

Posted the pattern in the Pattern thread, enjoy. I plan a shelf for the CD Rack too. Mix and match the rails or shelf.

AL

Edit: Both patterns have gouges due to sawdust getting under the pattern and the pattern goes up over the guide bushing. Auto Body Bondo works great for a quick fix of the pattern. Tapered the white PVC blocks this time for the 6 holes, easier on and off.

Digitalwoodshop
08-09-2007, 10:23 PM
I am wrapping up 2 weeks of cutting, making CD Racks and Quilt Racks with the new artwork I acquired. The only machine problems were the brushes wearing out at 300 hours and now the Check Cut Motor inconvenience.

A GREAT Work Horse of a Machine. Thank You LHR.

Turns out the finishing side has the biggest learning curve for me. Tried oil base stain with good results but the fumes are bad. Trying water base stain and we will see what happens. NORM always makes it look SO EASY.....

Here are about 50 CD or Quilt sides. Going to do a shelf for the 6 rail CD Racks so you can have 3 shelves or 3 sets of rails for CD/DVD/VHS, or mix and match.

Just remembered seeing the pictures, I received a ERROR Uploading my project to my card this week. I had seen it before but this one was different.

The First one occurred when I selected Center of Board for a Object in Designer. I found this by deleting an element from the designer and trying to upload it. When it finally worked it was a element that was centered using layout. I manually positioned it to the center and it then uploaded properly. Went back and selected center via layout and it failed again. Something to watch out for.

The Second is a Clock using 4/5 pine at a board thickness of 1.17 inches. When I did similar clocks on 1 inch pine at .77 inches thick the through hole for the Clock Shaft worked fine. When I used the same artwork for my 5/4 board thicker than 1 inch the machine went "TILT"....... I just put a 1/8 inch hole 1/4 inch deep now to mark the drill position.

I used 5/4 for this clock and got the longest shaft Quarts Clock from www.clockit.com I think this will be a nice tourist item. I will RTV Glue the clock in from the back. Got a big 3 inch drill bit today from them to bore out the back. My hand router work was a mess... Time to break out the BIG Drill Press.... on SLOW Speed....

Had to break out the planer this week. The wood that has the "Corduroy" or brushed look is thicker at .83 inch. I wanted the rails to be standard for everything so I ran them through the planer. Alway a fun thing making "Wood Chips"....

AL

Digitalwoodshop
08-26-2007, 10:21 PM
I was sorta Side Tracked into a rush project for the Local Historical Society for a Gravity Rail Road Depot Dedication at the town I grew up in. It is called Waymart, Pennsylvania and was a stop in the Gravity Railroad in the days before the Steam Locomotive.

Coal was stockpiled here for the winter then sent down the Gravity Railroad to the Canal that took it to New York City. The first ever Steam Locomotive got it's start in the area too. I think it had a short career as it was too heavy for the tracks.

Talking to the Leader of the Gravity Railroad Historical Society, I found She needed a Donor Board and wanted Rail Road Tracks to be part of the design. I thought it was a good job for the Carve Machine.

I first tried to move my Rail Road Tracks Clip Art that I used for the plaque, converting it to grayscale. I couldn't get the right size to work and the cut time was 2 hours in Raster.

I wanted to do it in Vector vice Raster so I set out to draw it. Used the 1/8 inch cut bit and after drawing 2 oval tracks started drawing the ties. Using cut and past and using the rotation feature to make the turns. Took me about 4 hours to do it, next time it would go faster. There is a mistake in the ovals, if you move them one oval stays in the center but the drawing worked so I did not spend much time troubleshooting it other than checking attachments. I think it was the way I drew the ovals.

Here is the file and some pictures. There are 2 tag errors on the second board with black bar centering, but when I finished it at 3:30 AM a few hours before it was due, I will replace them when I add new names. Used bottom plaques to cover knots in my wood. I used water base Rust-Oleum Painters Touch paint and had very few problems with bleeding.

AL

Gman_Ind
08-26-2007, 10:33 PM
good effort, I had to look twice I thought you glued up model rails for the oval.

Digitalwoodshop
08-26-2007, 11:00 PM
This dedication included the local Senator Lisa Baker, driving a Gold Spike to the track that will hold the future Train Car Sled still being built.

Here is a 2 sided sign that I bet would be FUN to make with the CarveWright. I believe it was made with a Shop Bot.

Time to get back on track.... tourist products.

AL

BobHill
08-27-2007, 09:06 AM
Al,
My sister is very much involved with our hometown (Maine) Historical Society and has been wanting the directors to take on a very similar project (membership plaques) and your photos might just be the imputus to have this done, Their meeting place and museum is also the old railroad station (no tracks any more though). I'd even volunteer to do some of the carving if they go for it. Thanks for the photos.

Bob

Digitalwoodshop
08-27-2007, 12:17 PM
I also did license plates and small plaques for Life members to purchase. Sublimation is a good way to do picture stuff.

A poor picture but it gets the idea across.

I am working with contact@go3d.us on a depot carving but it is on the back burner today for future development.

AL

Digitalwoodshop
08-30-2007, 09:32 PM
I set up a cheap sled with a 5 1/5 block of 1 x 12 pine on it nailed in place. I designed my artwork with a 6 inch blank area on the right side as you look at it in Designer. I put Bears in 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 8, and 10 inch in files on a card. I put a scrap board on the sled and a strip of masking tape on the top joint and 2 strips on the end. I have cut 20 plus boards like this making little bears. They will become refrigerator magnets, candle holders, Lawn Ornaments, Christmas Ornaments, License Plates..... and more.... Just let your imagination be your guide. Any .ptn will do..... Trout, Bass, Deer.... Your choice.... Use your scrap WOOD safely.

AL

I now use Option 3 place on end, vice Center of board or Jog to position. Saves wood and uses scraps....

mtylerfl
08-30-2007, 09:36 PM
I set up a cheap sled with a 5 1/5 block of 1 x 12 pine on it nailed in place. I designed my artwork with a 6 inch blank area on the right side as you look at it in Designer. I put Bears in 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 8, and 10 inch in files on a card. I put a scrap board on the sled and a strip of masking tape on the top joint and 2 strips on the end. I have cut 20 plus boards like this making little bears. They will become refrigerator magnets, candle holders, Lawn Ornaments, Christmas Ornaments, License Plates..... and more.... Just let your imagination be your guide. Any .ptn will do..... Trout, Bass, Deer.... Your choice.... Use your scrap WOOD safely.

AL

I now use Option 3 place on end, vice Center of board or Jog to position. Saves wood and uses scraps....

Hello Al,

Great suggestion and clever method to save wood. Good going!

www.go3d.us
08-30-2007, 10:32 PM
Look fantastic AL
Btw, what did you do to the snake? :)

Digitalwoodshop
09-01-2007, 09:47 PM
Let the snake go, never saw him again after that day. Did have a Rattle Snake stay in the same place for a few days along a path to the Garage. We fenced it off from the dogs and after 3 days he left. Was under a berry tree and we think it was waiting for a bird to drop down for a berry snack.... Or it was starting to shed it's skin and it's eyes were cloudy.

Had a few PM's about my Bear Sled and questions about the side rails.... Well it should be called a Carrier Board vice Sled as it has NO Sides. Your artwork must be in from the ends as the rollers will ride the top board.

The Carrier Board I used has a 5 1/2 inch block of the same thickness wood nailed to the top of a 3/8 inch piece of Plywood.

The Plywood is the same 11.25 width of my scrap wood.

I measure the thickness of the Carrier board and the scrap and enter that as board thickness in Designer.

I place the artwork 6 inches from the right side of the artwork AND set the depth to a few tenths up from the scrap board thickness. Then I get a almost cut out Bear.

For boards that are short I used a second board to stay under the right roller. No need to worry about the length as it's reference is from the other end.

Good Luck,

AL

Dave-Carve
09-02-2007, 10:33 AM
Al Here's One for You !!!
Waymart:D

Digitalwoodshop
09-02-2007, 12:12 PM
Dave,

Very Nice.... Should never overlook the obvious draw to the tourists and life members....

Gotta do something with the Waymart Wind Mills too... Tourist love them, locals hate them... Mess up the TV reception and kill Bats and Birds and "Not in my Neighborhood"... I love them.

Thanks,

AL

Digitalwoodshop
09-03-2007, 06:06 PM
Thought Labor Day would be a great day to have a Stain Off... Kinda Like a COOK OFF.... The results are stunning with 3 coats.... I have 85 sets..... Each board gets 3 coats, kinda like 3 full body massages for each board.... A few more days work.

The Minwax Stain works good.

AL

BobHill
09-03-2007, 07:33 PM
And they do look great, Al.
Bob

HerbO
09-03-2007, 07:58 PM
Hey Al,
They look Great!!
I think you have the hardest working machines and since you were staining did they get Labor day off :)

Digitalwoodshop
09-03-2007, 09:36 PM
My Carve Machine has been carving one Bear after another for over 12 hours today. Cutting the last one now. Did have a Air Carve with that last carving.... All I got for the finished product was a 1/8 inch outline of the bear... Done by the Carving Bit..... It sounded normal, but started in the air above the board and worked it's way down so only the outline showed in the end.... Looked everything over and this time watched the bit flag and touching the board. Everything normal this time. It's half way through the same bear now and it looks good. I will watch it more.... It's SO DARN DEPENDABLE.... Set it and forget it...... I am staining on the deck in front of the shop so I can hear it work.

Problem is, I am running out of Scrap wood..... The short pieces from the quilt and CD racks and any mistake carving that I can get bears from.....

Almost 450 hours now..... Anyone at the 500 hour mark? Should start a 500 Hour Club.... Get LHR to send us a Coffee Cup, Plaque, License Plate, Mouse Pad, Bumper Stciker..... Hey.... I make all them TOO.... Like the Hunting Club stuff.....

Almost quitting time.... 11 PM..... 9 AM to 11 PM.... 7 days a week.... The commute is tuff..... 2 minutes at a slow walk..... Some days I am SO excited to start I get here at 7 AM..... Do you just hate a Kiss UP to the BOSS...... O' I am the BOSS.... Me Myself and I..... It's just 14 hours of MinWax fumes.... And I wear a respirator as I use compressed air to blow the excess stain out of the carved animals into a rag.

When I look at the Quilt Racks and CD Racks I have made..... 85 in all so far..... That's over $10 K if I get my asking price.... Plus the Bears, Clocks, Signs, and more.... Let the fall Craft Show Season begin.... on the 15th.....

AL

mtylerfl
09-03-2007, 10:40 PM
Thought Labor Day would be a great day to have a Stain Off... Kinda Like a COOK OFF.... The results are stunning with 3 coats.... I have 85 sets..... Each board gets 3 coats, kinda like 3 full body massages for each board.... A few more days work.

The Minwax Stain works good.

AL

Al,

You do such fantastic work - those look great! Your seemingly endless talents amaze me!

Digitalwoodshop
09-04-2007, 06:18 AM
6:45 AM the Birds are Chirping, Coffee is hot, Carve Machine is humming... I feel like Norm walking in the shop and saying "What shall we build today?".... Endless possibilities... Life is GOOD..... Only one thing ranks higher on my list.... Walking out on to the deck of a Navy Destroyer in the middle of the ocean before sunrise, with the cool fresh salt air hitting your face waiting for the sunrise. Back in the days before Satellite Pay Phones, Satellite TV.... Where the Care package from home was in the mail for 30 days or more trying to find you.

Breaking News: This Just In.... The Z just drove into the board and stalled..... A reset and the same..... A few good cuts and then the Z started SLAMMING into the board......

More Later.... Z Encoder.... or Z Cable......

I live for this.....

AL

Kenm810
09-04-2007, 06:53 AM
Morning AL,

My machines been carving for about an hour now.
When I was setting it up for its first carve this morning, old butter fingers dropped the bit and adapter down the slot between the traction belts. Drat, couldn’t reach it or even find it with my magnet probe, so my first hour today was spent taking the machine apart to retrieve the adapter and bit, then reassembling it. Normally I have the project board in the machine to avoid this exact scenario. Daa should of had my Coffee first.

Digitalwoodshop
09-04-2007, 09:50 AM
Looking at the problem...

Z Encoder looks to be good... Cable looks to be good... Used Test to call up the Z Data and moving the Z up and down there are no skips in data... Same when I move the cables looking for a bad cable with a broken wire.

Took the Z motor apart and will post the pictures in the Troubleshooting Section under "Anatomy of a Z Encoder"

Waiting for a call back but would you believe I think it is a failed bearing..... The clue is moving the Z up and down I hear some clicking in the bearings. Remember I had a problem with a loose bearing and replaced one 60 hours ago....

Three clues to that being the problem.

First Clue is the board has a line where the Z did not come up high enough to clear the board and drove through the board from left to right between carved areas. Should have gone up and over....

Second clue is the clicking in the bearings.

Third clue is when the Z is at the bit flag it goes down about a inch and stops before hitting the Z flag TWICE.... Like the motor drive is seeing the resistance it is expecting touching the bit flag..... Did it 3 times with a complete power off reset.

Put a call into LHR to ask about the Z problem but I think it is binding because of a bad bearing. That would explain the Air Carve last night. This started last night with the Bit Flag stall before the bit touched the bit flag.

Just got my UPS delivery from LHR. Requested the Board Detector as I lost the window, got that. Also requested the 1 inch thick flat cable that plugs into the Z that moves back and forth. A broken wire in that could cause Z Problems... They sent the wrong one... They sent the one inside the Z that is 4 conductors wide.... Bummer...

I am going to move this to the troubleshooting section.

AL

Jeff_Birt
09-04-2007, 10:27 AM
Take a look at the counter gear in the Z drive gear box, you can see it through the plastic window. Is there a chipped tooth?

Digitalwoodshop
09-04-2007, 11:14 AM
I posted pictures in the troubleshooting section, but that was one of the things I looked for too. No missing teeth that I could see. Looks like it is a bearing issue.... When the top left bearing was loose 60 hours ago it must have damaged the other bearings.... The banging around it took.

Replacing bearings but another day.... Need to get the Staining done while the weather is good. I have enough bears cut.

Project for a rainy day...

AL

jlpemberton300
09-04-2007, 12:00 PM
The staining looks wonderful. I do have one question for you though.... How do you get the coloring into the carves or lettering? I have been struggling mightly with that part of the process and can not come up with anything that looks remotely as good as yours.....

Thanks!
Jim

Digitalwoodshop
09-04-2007, 12:17 PM
I paint with some Home Depot Rust Oleum Painters Touch LATEX paint in the text and keep cleaning out the text so it is not filled up. Wait a day and sand flush with 120 sand paper. Tried the Planer but took TOO much off. Doing the text in BOLD and using a 60 degree bit while selecting 90 degree in designer. Works for smaller text good. Don't forget letter spacing for text too.. Play around with the spacing between letters too.

I stain then use a air hose to blow out the excess stain while wearing a respirator.

Good Luck,

AL

Watch your brush cleaning water to not dilute the paint as thinner paint wicks up the grain. Thicker the better.

jlpemberton300
09-04-2007, 12:53 PM
Thanks for the reply. I bet I have been using too thin a paint as I am getting the wicking into the grain as you have described.

Jim

Digitalwoodshop
09-04-2007, 02:57 PM
I had bad wicking with spray paint, it was quicker but the thinness of it made it wick very badly.

Good Luck,

AL

Digitalwoodshop
09-05-2007, 10:59 AM
This morning I replaced the 3 other Z bearings from the one I damaged 60 hours ago. My Z is at the bit flag position but stops 1 inch above it as if it touched it. Thought it was a bearing issue because the stopping is as if the computer saw a increased current. Took off the dust caps on the bearings too. The rails are smooth, the Drive Cable is not hanging up, I am at a loss as to why it is still doing it. The first time I ran the machine it worked fine, the second and 3rd time it stopped.

So... I have on order the thick flat gray cable feeding all the info to the Z pack, they are still waiting on a price to send it. The lady that decides out of warranty prices is out of the office today. I ordered a replacement Z pack motor too while I am doing this, only $40.00 plus shipping.

I ordered this cable last week but they sent the wrong one, the probe cable inside the Z.

I miss the hum of the machine...

AL

Digitalwoodshop
09-08-2007, 02:01 PM
Here is the results of many hours of work.... This is about 3/4 of them.... Still have 25 to sand and stain the raw wood. And I need to handle each one at least 2 more times.... Wipe down and either paste wax or poly...

Got a call from LHR Friday, they are holding my order for the flat cable that brings all the data and power to the Z truck. They and I think it is causing my AIR CARVE on the bit flag.

She said there is a redesigned version due in next week...... That is a GOOD THING.... Like the redesigned motor magnet holder.... Another GOOD THING....

I feel like the Karate Kid in WAX ON WAX OFF...... My arms hurt.....

AL

BobHill
09-08-2007, 02:10 PM
All that on one machine and one man? Whew !

Bob

Kenm810
09-08-2007, 02:41 PM
Good news and info AL, on the new design for the flat cable.
Sounds like a slow but sure on going process of reengineering the machine,
from the ground up. As you say, redesigned version That is a GOOD THING ….

And the Photos showing your inventory of carved products is mighty impressive!
Does the term workaholic ring a bell, with the cutting, carving, sanding, cleaning, staining, sealing,
and wax on wax off, plus God knows what else. ----And you say your arms hurt …. I’m surprised they haven’t fallen off.
I know mine would have …. along with my tired A**! http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_wink.gif ---------- Good Work AL.

Digitalwoodshop
09-08-2007, 03:29 PM
And to think.... If I never ventured into this business foolishness...... I could be living on my Navy Retirement Check and relaxing and going fishing at the brook behind out house everyday......

But NOoooooo. I had to get a wild hair and start with a Laser Engraver and build a business to the tune of about $80K with the buildings and equipment..... Edit.. Too much information......

On the bright side.... I think I have some good products... The quilt racks / towel racks have limited appeal but the CD / DVD / Shelf racks will have a bigger appeal. Next add a Clocks, Bears, tables, table lamp, mirror, wall lamps, wood chest, cradle and more.... A whole product line designed around the Carve Machine.

I will use my Laser Engraver or Star 912 Rotary Engraver to mark my business name on the back of each item in 14 point text.

Fun time was had by all..... Honestly.... I wouldn't give it up.... NEVER. It's just TOO MUCH FUN....

AL

pamjmayo
09-09-2007, 02:00 AM
Hi DigitalWorkshop, I have the same problem with my flag and what I do that works all the time is clean out the flag with compressed air, put a small amount of 3-1 oil on the area and then wipe it. I also run the y truck manually back and forth a couple of times. Watch, it'l work like a charm. Let me know. Pam

Digitalwoodshop
09-09-2007, 08:35 AM
Pam,

My bit flag is all the way out but the Z head on the way down to touch it stops 1 inch before touching the bit plate then does the up and down and does it again stopping 1 inch above the plate. LHR thinks it is a bad flat cable feeding the data to the Z.

AL

Digitalwoodshop
09-10-2007, 08:34 AM
I started putting poly on the boards yesterday after one more final detailing of the finish... The results are better than expected. I hung them in my back room of the wood shop to dry.

This is really too much fun to be called work....

AL

Digitalwoodshop
09-14-2007, 11:34 PM
Well I gave it my best shot but I am going to pass on the Craft Show Saturday. They are calling for Rain and Wind early. To top that the first batch of stained boards are dry to touch but not cured. I would sure hate to ruin someone's family Quilt with sticky stain... Also had to scramble as the slip fit rail Tendon's do not fit after the moisture of the finish. The wood swelled so a quick fix was a tapered tendon. A quick jig and the Belt Sander and I put a 2 degree pitch on all 4 sides of the tendon. I screwed the sander to the jig for safety. I have 4 from my Garage Sale days in San Diego.

Making progress in clocks too, here are some pictures. On the 6 rail CD / Book racks it will have an option for a sliding book end. Here is a prototype not quite ready for prime time.

Going to need to stain some of the rails too for the 6 rail as the white color is just too much a contrast. Tuff call on the Quilt Racks.... getting stain on a quilt. One customer said a cloth sleeve over the rail would be good and since the rails come off it would work.

Still to be determined....

Going to shift gears to building a 5 station Electronic Jeopardy Game next week, a rush project...

AL

Digitalwoodshop
09-15-2007, 08:15 PM
I dug up all 5/4 boards in my stock and cut them into blanks for clocks. Using the carrier board I get great yield from the blanks only trimming less than 1/4 inch.

Digitalwoodshop Tip of the Week: Next time that pesky bit refuses to release from the Quick Change holder try using the "Sling Shot" technique. This involves using both hands to pull back the spring loaded sleeve then just let go.... The Sling Shot will shoot that bit out every time.... Make sure you have something soft for the bit to hit as to not damage it on any metal.

AL

dpowli
09-15-2007, 09:27 PM
Thanks for the Sling Shot tip Al. I spent 20 minutes on a stuck bit yesterday. I always lightly oil the adapter and chuck when I chuck it up, but it didn't help yesterday. Finally had to spray some WD40 on adapter. I'll try your "Sling-shot" next time!

rmacke
09-15-2007, 09:45 PM
:confused: WD-40 is bad :confused: It is not good around sawdust-- will gum up --- Use a dry-lube spray or a spray called tri-flow which doesn't atract sawdust.

rmacke

Digitalwoodshop
09-15-2007, 11:07 PM
I think my Carve Machine is MAD at me...... For posting the Sling Shot..... I carved a bear for a clock tonight, it was bit change time and for the V60 text I turn off the Dust Collection. I put in the V60, watched it do it's bit check and walked away for my Laser Shop. All of sudden I hear the Cut Motor come up to speed then BANG THUMP and the Cut Motor shut off. I walk back in and the message said. Close Cover to proceed.... Cover was down but the V60 bit was GONE..... It gouged the wood, hit the cover, opening it enough to shut the machine down..... Ladies and Gentelman.... Elvis Has left the building...

I looked everywhere.... NO idea where it is.... I have 2 more so I can continue.... Unplugged the machine and tilted it around and no bit in the machine...... It's not in the Dust collection pipe..... It has left the machine...... So tomorrow it's clean the shop day.... Just want to see where it went.... Pay back..... That machine just earned it's new Nick Name.... "Christeen"..... Only 60 hours on Christeen....

Another HOT tip.... Digitalwoodshop's SECOND Great tip of the week.... Was lurking over at the CNC / Laser Engraving forum at Sawmill Creek. One of the guys posted a topic about a laser cutting grid. They use a metal grid to sit plastic and acrylic on when Laser Cutting 1/2 inch off the table. If not, the acrylic laying flat on the metal table lets the beam cut through the plastic then hits the metal table and reflects back on the underside of the plastic causing burn damage under the plastic. Cutting grids are nothing new, one guy paid $600.00 for one..... Here is the TIP.... One guy used Corian and his CNC and a V90 bit and made a grid that has 1/4 inch spaced points that the plastic sits on.... And the beam absorbs into the corian doing very little damage and will last YEARS.... I need to make one... Anybody doing Corian could make a FRIEND of the Local Laser Engraver making a sample say 6 x 6 to try..... I will call this my HOT TIP of the DAY.....

And with all the V Groves, a piece of Corian can be cut and placed upside down and act as a stop for squaring the plastic.... WOW is all I can say..... This is BIG......

AL

RanUtah
09-16-2007, 12:43 AM
AL, maybe you have a little alien in the house?

Digitalwoodshop
09-20-2007, 09:33 AM
I spent 2 days soaking the rails, 3 at a time in a old chicken feeder. Much better look for the rails. Doing the long ones today.

Can you tell I built my shop in a overgrown Christmas tree patch.....

AL

Edit: Got the long rails done.

Digitalwoodshop
10-14-2007, 03:46 PM
Did a great show this weekend at a local Ski Lodge, Ski Big Bear. Things sold well and it turned out to be a good show. The previous weekend show at a Winery was a bust not selling a thing.

A big seller was the cut out Bears selling a set of 5 sizes for $20.00 all made from scraps. Signs and Clocks did well and sold my first Multi Rack in a Wine Rack configuration.

Met local artist and Forum Member "ChiselMeTimbers" at the show. If you look at his project pictures at the LHR site and see the work in person, it is a 15 on a scale of 10.... EXCELLENT work.... Puts my work to shame..... Great Job.

Saw one too many kids eyes light up seeing the bears, followed by Mom saying "Don't Touch That".... So I started giving out the smallest bear with a magnet and you should see the kids eyes light up.... For the Refrigerator Homework.

Need to come up with an acronym for B.E.A.R.... Something uplifting... Bright, Enthusiastic, A....., R...... . Any Ideas? Make the Bears from Scraps.

Here are some pictures. Need to carve the quilt rack and multi rack display boxes next.

AL

The Pumpkins were made by a friend.

Kenm810
10-14-2007, 04:01 PM
Al, Glad to hear you had a good show,
you certainly put a ton of work into getting you carvings ready.
By the way your display stands look great as well as your table set ups. http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_biggrin.gif

mtylerfl
10-14-2007, 07:14 PM
Hello Al,

That's a great looking display of your excellent work! So happy that the show did well for you!

You make us all proud!

Digitalwoodshop
10-15-2007, 12:37 PM
Came up with a acronym for BEAR. Bright Enthusiastic Academic Report or Reward

So I will make the small bears with magnets and give them out at Craft Shows to kids free with the saying "Show me your BEAR" for Bright Enthusiastic Academic Report.... Make the kids proud and build self esteem.

This is getting FUN.... Now to cut more BEARS.....

AL

Acronyms are easy for me, Military is full of them..... NAVY.... Never Again Volunteer Yourself....

Digitalwoodshop
10-18-2007, 08:58 PM
Made a Double sided Bear and added text numbers with Centerline. Had to raise the carving depth to about .35 vice .77 for almost a cut through both sided to make the text work.

New product.... Bear House Number signs.

AL

Deolman
10-19-2007, 12:04 PM
How about American or Attitude instead of Academic?

Digitalwoodshop
10-21-2007, 08:54 PM
Had another successful show and the bears were again a hit including the ones I gave away to the kids.

The Bear address sign was a hit too. Set the Text than raise the artwork until you get the look you like. First tried this but the carving depth of the bear was too deep.

Did this double sided.

AL

oldjoe
10-22-2007, 07:59 AM
Nice looking work like always Al that was awfully nice of you to do the address bear with my house numbers when can I expect to see the UPS man deliver it. :rolleyes:

Digitalwoodshop
10-29-2007, 11:57 PM
I have been working on this Jeopardy Game and had the basic game done. Then I needed to build an interface to drive 115 volt light bulbs. The first step was easy, the game output was a LED light. I put a LED light from a Optical Coupler in series with the first LED. Now both light up but the second was inside a Optical Coupler where the light caused a transistor or switch to come on when the LED Lit. Great.... Next step add a relay to this driven by the transistor inside the opto coupler. Worked except the relay coil was drawing 140 milliamp with a opto coupler rated at 100 milliamp. It worked but wouldn't last long.

So I put a Transistor between the 100 milliamp and the heavy relay. Well, I didn't get the right transistor, it worked but the transistor got hot with the 140 milliamp draw. Scrapped that idea and got some small Reed Relays that you can see in the picture, the little 6 blue tubes.

When I fired this circuit up, the very sensitive reed relays were all activated by one relay... They all came on.... That turned on every big relay at the same time.... 140 milliamp x 6 = 840 milliamp plus the other circuits caused a voltage drop. This dropped out all the relays and as soon as the power supply recovered it would turn on all the relays again over and over.... Hence the Halloween Chatter.... The 6 relays in the picture sounded like the "Chattering Teeth" of a Halloween Skeloton....

And FAILURE of my circuit design.... Then I went to Plan B.... Relays that require 60 milliamp that are in the left side of the picture.... They work.... Now to have them drive the big relays....

I will be glad to ship this project.... I believe with this design it will work well for a very long time. Now to stuff the box.....

At 1 AM it just seamed funny..... All this to light 6 bathroom type globe lights..... and ring a buzzer.

To link this to CarveWright.... The box carved very nicely....

Digital Woodshop.....

AL

Had a (Not So) great Craft Show this weekend.... Sold one $2.00 bear..... Up at 5 AM drive 60 miles.... Two Thumbs Down....

Digitalwoodshop
11-04-2007, 11:21 PM
Had a fair 2 day craft show at my old High School (32 years ago) and learned a lot. Got Best Booth in show and a Free booth next show.... WOW.... Didn't even know about that.

The Cut out Bears are still a HOT item with a magnet, wall hanging clip, Christmas Ornament String and NOW..... Introducing the POTTY BEAR......

A lady came back Saturday with an outline of her Toilet Seat and was Sizing the Bears for the best fit and decided on a 8 inch bear. Today she came back with a picture of the Bear on her Toilet seat and got more bears to decorate the Bathroom.... Intreuged... I saw I had forgot to pack the Shrink Wrap so I made a quick run to the Big BOX store and picked some up shrink and on a whim.... a Oak Toilet seat from China..... See first picture..... It was a Flushing Success..... Sold out of that size Bears..... Unbeliavable....... Couldn't sell the seat as it was made in China but for $10.00 the bears flew off the shelf.... Un Bearable..... Used double stick tape...... Even sold a Eagle for a "Seat" Project....

Remember the Bears are cut from Scrap pieces from the Quilt and CD rack sides cutoff's.

The neighbor booth had Scroll saw work and sold a bunch of wood ornaments...

I made a new hanging frame for my booth that worked out great.

Most likely sold about a dozen guys to add the Compucarve to there Christmas Shopping List......

AL

Kenm810
11-05-2007, 07:01 AM
Really Great Display Al,

I know that sometimes,
half the sales at a show like that come from how the products and projects are presented.
Plus as you said a rack of wooden Christmas Ornaments wouldn't hurt this time of year either . http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_smile.gif

oldjoe
11-05-2007, 09:00 AM
AL
You know if the bear wouldn't have stopped to use that he would have caught the rabbit. ;) Just kidding I am jealous of your work as well as a lot of other artisans on this forum. Great looking work like always.

Digitalwoodshop
11-14-2007, 11:27 PM
This machine is SO MUCH FUN...... Using a 1/2 inch Bull Nose bit I made a test board making little squares with .005 overlap to .500. I did that to give me a quick real world measurements to what you type in the computer. Granted the board moisture content will change everything but it gets me in the ball park.

Tonight I cut some rails with slots to hold fishing rods, giving the Quilt Racks or the Quilt Rack Sides more life..... Working on a Ski and Snowboard Rack, Gun Rack, Pool Que, Umbrella, and what ever a customer asks for....

Had a thought today for another product. Using the 10 inch Santa's and other stuff I will make a rail with slots cut to hold Christmas Cards. Thinking of how to mount it I had another thought.... Put a metal plate on the rail or Velcro and be able to change the top for the season.... Pumpkins, Flowers, Easter Bunny..... And you have a Bill or Letter rail....

Had a thought the other day to just sand U shaped slots in the Wine Rack rails to keep the bottles in place so I added a Delta BOSS sander to the club.

Like I said.... SO much fun.... Too little time.... It's after midnight....

AL

Thanks to Ken and the others who made the Xmas files avaliable. NO LEAD PAINT from China.... My selling point.... Plus have the kids color the ornament for more Christmas memories.... Cut them to .5 inch then outline, then cut path.

Digitalwoodshop
11-14-2007, 11:33 PM
Here is the file if someone finds the idea interesting. Much faster than raster.

AL

BobHill
11-15-2007, 07:57 AM
I'd say that once again your creative side has produced a winner for you, Al.

Bob

Digitalwoodshop
11-15-2007, 10:07 AM
I go in the shop this morning and set up a toilet seat bear to carve. I see the bull nose bit is missing from the holder still in the chuck.... Then I see it on the sand paper belt at home position. It carved properly last night but overnight the cool weather shrunk the steel and the bit just dropped out of the holder..... Note to self.... Re Check all the bits on the set I bought from LHR....

The sled I made to do the rails will also do walking sticks called "Pocono Trackers" made of the same rail material and have Animal foot prints laser engraved on the side of the shaft for the kids. There will be a "Catskill Tracker" for the New York people too.

Need to cut a hole in the side of my Laser Engraver to pass through the rails....

Too many projects too little time....

AL

Lucky13
11-15-2007, 12:38 PM
Also it is a good idea to check the set screw on the bits, I have to QC chucks ruined by loose set screws that fly out and puncture a hole in the QC chuck. To the point where it will no longer hold a bit.

FYI