PDA

View Full Version : Roses and Tall Ship

Ted Grinnell
06-08-2007, 08:01 PM
Cut these out this last week. My wife Judy helped with the painting. Because of the detail in leaves and butterflys, she used color magic markers.

The patterns were from allcw.com patterns.

eagle1
06-08-2007, 08:22 PM
Ted,

The ship makes me want to get to the water looks good ... I really like the roses, they would make a nice present to that special one in your life. ......what a team you and your wife make, you carve she paints, what a concept. Keep the pictures comming, isn't this fun.

Dean

Bill
06-08-2007, 08:42 PM
Very nice, I did not know magic markers would work that well nice job and well done http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif

ljdm
06-08-2007, 09:21 PM
Very nice, I did not know magic markers would work that well nice job and well done http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif

The paint markers work really well. Not sure if thats what was used there. The fine point are really useful, I have used acrylic and oil based, and either spray poly or lacquer over for a clear coat. Regular magic markers should be just as good, give a thin clear coat first, let it dry well, then coat again. I usually give a quick coat of clear first to seal the wood so the colors don't bleed too bad.

oldjoe
06-08-2007, 10:33 PM
Great Job I am trying to get my wife to do some painting on some of my projects but she is afraid to ruin them. So I went out and bought some good quality paint from Walmart loved there prices, Someone posted that info. Even bought new brushes.

Kenm810
06-09-2007, 09:03 AM
Great Carving,
My wife loves your rose carving and says the coloring is perfect, and offered to do the painting if I’d hurry up buy the patterns, lay them out and carve some. She’s been in my den three times this morning asking if I started yet. -- I prefer the oval Tall Ship carving, it has inspired me to scan and redo a carving as an oval with a rope from Vector Art around it that I think saw Sarge do on some of his carvings, I’m sure it well give it a little more nautical look.

rjustice
06-09-2007, 09:24 AM
Ken,
Very nice collection you have shared with us. It is wonderful how we can recognize our military friends and relatives with the CW.

I am curious if you would you be so kind as to share your finishing techinque on the ship in the first picture?.. I love the way you obtained the contrast of the carving. Very sharp! I have seen programs that explained many finishing techinques many years ago on HGTV (has been our main station for some time), but they dont seem to be covering things like this any more. Focus has moved more towards house flipping....anyway, our kitchen cabinets are cherry with a chocolate glaze that highlights the distress marks, and all of the corners in the raised panels, and the grooves in the crown moldings etc. I would really like to be able to get a handle on these kinds of finishes.

Recently my Daughter has been asking about painted, distressed, and pearlescent finishes as well. If there is anyone out there that knows of a web resource for How-To's for us DIY people like us, it would be great to share that.

Thanks,

Happy carving everyone!

Ron

Kenm810
06-09-2007, 10:02 AM
Ron thanks for the kind words, But I feel this is Ted's thread and I was just commenting how his work and patterns can and has inspired us in our carving. I'll repost the photo and finish in techniques

rjustice
06-09-2007, 10:12 AM
Ted,

Sorry, I forgot to tell you that I do admire the color technique used on the rose... Very nice. Thank you for sharing the methods used to obtain it. Of all the things i have done in my life, I never really got into the finishing techniques, in an artistic sense. This is really nice. Sorry to get off on a tangent!

Very nice work indeed!

Ron

Ted Grinnell
06-09-2007, 12:51 PM
You are right, in order to use magic markers you need to seal the wood first and put a good coat of clear over the top once painted.

By the way I get the magic markers at K-mart pack of 12 colors cost about $8-$9.

My wife does use paint also, but for stems and other detail work the markers seem to work fine.

Old Cop
06-17-2007, 10:15 AM
Really like the carving of the tall ship and the Army emblem.Would appreciate it very much if you would tell me where I can get those two patterns.Finally got my machine back after 2 trips to the factory and I think it is working good now.

Thanks,

Old Cop

e-mail bmdraw@earthlink.net

Jeff_Birt
06-17-2007, 10:18 AM
Ted's patterns are available here: http://allcw.com/Patterns.html

eagle1
06-17-2007, 10:38 AM
Jeff,
I really like the "Indian Chief and Family" of yours. Have you carved this in MDF? If you have, how did the detail come out?

Thanks,

Dean

Jeff_Birt
06-17-2007, 10:45 AM
Dean, I've carved the set of Indians in both pine and figured soft maple. The set in pine were small and had typical pine fuzzies, the set in maple were larger about 12-13" tall and maple also tends to be fuzzy. I have a picture of the pine samples, as they came off the machine, in my gallery (link in signature). The set in maple were awsome (the grain worked well) but I gave them to the inlaws when they were visiting and have not recieved a photo of them finished yet. I have not carved these in MDF. I do a lot of samples in MDF, which has the advantage of being inexpensive and it does not chip out, but it also does not hold fine detial as well as white oak or other woods.