PDA

View Full Version : Boat project

Julie Coffey
06-05-2007, 12:02 AM
Recently I got a '72 Starcraft for my daughter and I to go fishing in. The radio in it was dead so I opted to put a new one in- and well I was not very happy with the dash board. So.....

I'm replacing both sides of the dash- today was the easy one over the next few days I'll get around to doing a mirror image of the bass I got from CarveBuddy - unless anyone has a really nice catfish out there!

Happy Carving!!

Julie and Tara

mtylerfl
06-05-2007, 12:19 AM
Julie,

You did a fantastic job. Looks great!

PS - If there's a bunch of folks that could use a catfish pattern - we'll make one, by golly!

HillBilly
06-05-2007, 02:53 AM
Dang Ya, you`s ask`n a bit there, ain`t ya ?

Needless to say, it`s a mighty fine thought ya got with it. "Imagination", is a wonderful thing. Need I emphasize, That`s what it`s all about ?

Who really knows? Next thing "we`ll have men on the moon". Kind`a odd when ya take the time realize that the "ladys", more then likely understand these things more then some of us do. (that one ya`ll Have to read twice).

It`s still a great job, "thinking outside the box".. IMO.

BoardSilly
06-05-2007, 01:28 PM
Good job... but I would have used Teak to take the weather better. ;-)

Julie Coffey
06-05-2007, 04:45 PM
If I could have gotten my hands on it I probably would have but thats ok- I saved the design so I can redo it when the opprotunity presents itself OR I add more bells and whistles to the boat.

J
CWM

Gman_Ind
06-06-2007, 10:46 AM
Nice custom job. Teak and boats go together well. I am experimenting with Lyptus (http://www.weyerhaeuser.com/ourbusinesses/buildingproducts/lyptus/) for exterior use as well.
You got me thinking on re-doing the dash in my ski boat.

Greybeard
06-06-2007, 12:56 PM
Nice custom job. Teak and boats go together well. I am experimenting with Lyptus (http://www.weyerhaeuser.com/ourbusinesses/buildingproducts/lyptus/) for exterior use as well.
You got me thinking on re-doing the dash in my ski boat.
Thanks for the Lyptus link. I assumed that because eucalyptus grows so quickly it would be a rather open grained wood, even though classified as a "hardwood".
I'll watch out for your comments on it when you've had a chance to fully try it out.
John

oldjoe
06-06-2007, 02:51 PM
Gman
I was at a wood show one time and there was a fellow turning some wood that smelled a lot like Vicks Vapo rub or something simalar to that when I asked him what it was I could have sworen he told me Lypmus. Did he tell me the right wood or was he wrong and in fact something else, Or was it just because it was green. This guy only liked turning green wood.

oldjoe
06-06-2007, 03:10 PM
I was just checking on line and found that Lyptus is close grained and is compaired to maple as far as hardness I used Wilkepedia for all my answers. I would post the link but was not sure how,
They showed a picture of some Purpleheart Maple and Lyptus edge glued together and it was beautiful looking. Just have to find out where to get it Weyhauser is the only importer at this time I think.
By the way great job Julie on the project.

Kenm810
06-06-2007, 03:35 PM
oldjoe,

Next time try high lighting just the part that you want, then copy and paste in your post. Most times it works.

Properties
Lyptus has mechanical properties similar to many hardwoods, and is most often compared to maple (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maple). It is a closed-grain wood, and is harder than oak. The high hardness and closed grain structure make it popular for cabinetry, millwork and flooring. The coloration varies from a light salmon to a deeper red. With exposure to UV light (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultraviolet_light), the pigments darken slightly
Workability
Though lyptus is largely marketed as a viable alternative to mahogany (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mahogany), it is much harder to work with. The density of lyptus makes it extremely heavy. It also doesn't machine very well as compared to the majority of commonly used hardwoods in cabinetry, millwork and flooring. While handling this material, the worker tends to be quite vulnerable to splinters, more than with most hardwoods. Most of the saved cost in choosing lyptus over other common hardwoods can be made up for in the extra labor required to move the material, and later repair tear-out due to poor machining.

DocWheeler
06-06-2007, 04:57 PM
oldjoe,

Rockler has it at http://www.rockler.com/search_results.cfm?filter=Lyptus

oldjoe
06-06-2007, 05:41 PM
Doc that wood will cost about $8.80 Per square foot, if I did the calculations right from the Rockler Website correctly That puts that price way out of my budget, However Thanks for the info anyway.:confused:

Ken I will try that next time I find some info to share,

pastime106
06-06-2007, 07:30 PM
I think it looks great just the way it is, and to be honest with you I am even more impressed that you went out and got a boat for you and your daughter to fish on. Then used the carvewright in a way I had not thought of!!!!
There will always be "better wood choices" , but you work with with you got and if it needs a little sanding in a year or a coat of clear to keep it from splitting then that's no big deal. You had an idea, thought about it, designed it, and made it. Perhaps a couple coats of primer and some paint to match your boat :-) Might be the ticket!

Good Mom you are!!!
Tom

Sarge
06-06-2007, 09:02 PM
Doc that wood will cost about $8.80 Per square foot, if I did the calculations right from the Rockler Website correctly That puts that price way out of my budget, However Thanks for the info anyway.:confused:

Ken I will try that next time I find some info to share,

As has already been said, it is close grained, dense and heavy. I get mine from Woodcraft http://www.woodcraft.com/stores/, they've got stores almost everywhere. It does run about $8 - $9 per BF.

Gman_Ind
06-08-2007, 10:42 AM
OLDJOE is right only one importer, but several places carry it, Like Sarge I get mine from Woodcraft, they have a local store.
I bought an eleven inch by 8' piece for a road/house sign project so my customer gets to buy the stuff. It is real heavy and comes kiln dried.
I like the idea it is plantation raised, and totally renewable. I wish it was available from my local sawmill guys, I prefer $2 a BDF for my wood. ;)

Julie Coffey
06-11-2007, 07:55 PM
Here's the finished stereo side. I'm pretty pleased with it.

http://www.jmcoffeyknives.com/dashfinished_sm.jpg

mtylerfl
06-11-2007, 09:27 PM
Here's the finished stereo side. I'm pretty pleased with it.

http://www.jmcoffeyknives.com/dashfinished_sm.jpg

Hello Julie,

WOW! What a great finish job. What stain and clearcoat did you use? Nice, nice, nice!

Julie Coffey
06-11-2007, 09:43 PM
Thanks, the letters are done in 18k gold leaf pen and I ran it through the planer to shave off any overages on the face. The stain was a combination of min wax pecan and hand rubbed Fiebing's mahogany leather dye gone over the top of the letters and then the letters were wicked out with a dry piece of terry cloth. I let it all dry then hit it with Spar Varnish.

I think she'll weather just about anything we throw at her. I wouldn't normally put that nice a stereo in it but it came from my old 1970 dodge I sold. And had no where else to put it.

All in all I'm pretty happy.

J

And yes if you noticed the fish IS facing opposite then the first example- why you ask? Simply put, I blew the cut for the stereo hole and made it a bit too large. It was simple enough to fix, another board and 57 min on the CC.- done. I love my machine.

Julie Coffey
06-11-2007, 09:56 PM
I think it looks great just the way it is, and to be honest with you I am even more impressed that you went out and got a boat for you and your daughter to fish on.

Good Mom you are!!!

Awww thanks Tom, I'm pretty pleased with all my 'chilluns' but now that the oldest are grown and mostly gone its just the 9 yr old and me. We're buddies and do everything together.

I'll have to post photos of her working on her own anvil in the forge- the little 70#, too cute by half. She's cute as all get out in her welding safety gear too.

J

eagle1
06-11-2007, 10:57 PM
Julie,

Beautiful job on your radio panel for your boat. and yes I also take my hat off to you for what you have done and are doing with your 'chilluns'.

I am just about ready to restore a 21 ft starcraft I bought a few months ago. Your Idea really got me thinkin'.

Keep up the great work and keep those pictures coming.

Dean

Gman_Ind
06-12-2007, 07:53 AM
Nice looking dash Julie, the young 'un looks like a chipper of the old block!

Julie Coffey
06-18-2007, 09:02 AM
Next project is either the kitchen or Pennsic- medieval camping furniture.

I learned a lot from this project, mostly steering wheels are NO FUN TO take out or put back in.

Ropdoc
06-18-2007, 09:21 AM
I really like the way it all looks together. Wait until the other boaters see your work. Who knows, maybe there is a side biz for you.

Good luck

Julie Coffey
06-18-2007, 09:56 AM
Thanks but ONLY if they take the steering wheels off themselves <g>

Kenm810
06-18-2007, 12:05 PM
J
I'll differently give you a big http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif up for your work on the dash,
it makes your boat look much richer http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_biggrin.gif

b.sumner47
06-18-2007, 12:39 PM
It is sure nice to see you take pride in your boat.Tight lines,from and old charter boat capt.39yrs.

IM2HAPPI
06-20-2007, 04:24 AM
That is just so sweet. Sorry I have been so busy, should of responded earlier. Ya know young lady you post these diffferent ways of using that CC you may give them fella's ideas. They'll be out fixing their boats, old cars, rv's up real fancy now.
Ok so now your thinking of moving back to your medieval camping furniture ? I hope you dont get mad at me but have a question for all of you. Here's just one pic of Julies hand carved furniture. Do you really think she needs carver when she does this by hand ? She has more neat stuff but I dont want to totally embarrass her...hehehe
PS Ask to see her teepee (awesome)

Julie Coffey
06-20-2007, 06:31 AM
AWWW major blushes going- ya lil stinker!

Actually it was a hand carved viking tent that was featured in Woodcraft magazine back in '05. Here's some photos. It was a gift for a friend, and yes I sewed the canvas as well.

The 'thrones' Barb's referring to are the Tanist/Tanista (Prince and princess throwns) for the Middle Kingdom of the SCA (Society for Creative Anachronism) modern day medieval re-enactors and researchers, this was a huge project and I was honored to be asked to assist. Made of light mapleI want to clarify, I did not make the thrones I only made them 'prettier'. They were carved the week after my mom passed, I have 97 hrs into them between painting and hand finishing. I was my 'grief therapy'.

Julie

DocWheeler
06-20-2007, 07:20 AM
That is truly terrific stuff, very impressive, you both should be very proud of yourselves.

mtylerfl
06-20-2007, 07:34 AM
Hello Julie,

I really admire your skill and dedication. It's great to see photos of your beautiful work!

eagle1
06-20-2007, 08:39 AM
Hey Julie,

Your hand carvings are just beautiful. I can see why you have a CW now. You are very talented. I belonged to S O L A R: SOUTHERN ORGANIZATION for LIVE ACTION RE-ENACTMENTS for a while but nothing like the SCA.

Again very nice work

Dean

Julie Coffey
06-20-2007, 10:36 AM
Thank you for the compliments, while we were stationed in the UK I apprenticed under a master Woodcarver who lived in Ipswich, UK for 3 years. My parting gift from him was a set of 1880 Henry Taylor chisels (that the ex took in the divorce). I now own a new set of flex cuts and love them.

Whether your SCA, LARP , black powder or Civil War- I have a HUGE amount of respect for the dedication and level of expertise you find in those respective groups. I fell in love with the middle ages while stationed in the UK, 4-600 yr old pubs and castles in the back yard did it to me <g>.

That being said- actually SCA stuff was an afterthought, I do several wooden 'things' for lack of a better word. And am trying to take the edge off the work time- even I have only so many hours in a day. If I can spend a quiet evening at the computer designing- load the prepped wood up in the morning hit 'enter' and walk away so I can work in the forge or with the dogs I'm by far money ahead. Currently the learning curve has been a bit steep on the software. I've got a couple of really good friends here on the boards who have helped. I figured I'm going to knock out the projects I have pending then see if after I know more of what I'm doing how the machine will perform. And may as well learn while doing things for me (finally). And also this is the ultimate motivation, the more time I save in the shop the more time that gives Tara and myself to go fishing! ::winks::

Here's an example of what I mean. I made this hope chest for a friends daughters birthday. I got orders for 7, these were all hand carved. Just a simple 6 board chest nothing to write home about, but nice to see the smiles on the girls faces.

Julie

Kenm810
06-20-2007, 11:38 AM
Julie,

I stand ( a light shy ) and applaud a true Artisan

Very nice work