PDA

View Full Version : Attention Loose Bit

Hank
06-04-2007, 06:52 PM
After appox 10 hrs of carving the carving bit supplied by CW came loose from the holder. I noticed rough cuttings on the piece I was carving and removed the bit. The bit was tight in the holder but loose enough to be slid up and down on the flats and the set screws were loose. I had assumed that CW used locktite on their set screws. Please be aware of this and check each time you install the bit. Grasp the bit holder and pull very hard (wearing gloves) on the bit.

Hank

Kenny
06-04-2007, 07:00 PM
While carving this week I had a set screw come out of the adoptor, causing the entire adaptor and bit to wobble. It made a lot of noise and sparks before I could get it shut down.

I should not that this occurred with an adoptor I purchased from CW and one of my own 60 degree V-bit. When I first placed the bit into the adapter I made the set screws tight but must have come loose while using.

Lesson: I now check ALL set screws before turning on the machine.

pastime106
06-04-2007, 08:12 PM
Thanks to both of you, I had also assumed that the bits were set by CW with some type of loctite as well. I will be sure to check. As a matter of fact it would be just as easy to just locktite them as it would to check. Thanks for bringing this up. In my world it always seems to be the little things that I don't stop to think about that cause the big disasters.

Thanks
Tom

pkunk
06-04-2007, 08:23 PM
I put a 60° in for a sign yesterday and noticed it was loose in the adapter. It was one I had installed 10 hours of operation previously & used locktight. Can't even trust my own installation. Check them often.

Digitalwoodshop
06-04-2007, 10:02 PM
Yes,

I butchered my Quick Connect when my V60 came out of the Quick Connect and broke a wing of the Quick Connect. The outside ring must not have been down all the way.

AL

n1wcf
01-18-2009, 10:29 AM
My Quick connect was destroyed the day after I got it back from repair. :( Does any one out there sell an after market quick connect or chuck?

Reply to joel_miller@mac.com