PDA

View Full Version : Freedom Reigns Eagle and Flag

mtylerfl
06-04-2007, 03:14 PM
Just took this off the CC a few minutes ago. Plan to leave a 5/8" wood border surrounding the plaque recess area - except for the wings and flag which intentionally extend beyond the border for a more dramatic effect.

Dimensions: 18" x 10.75" Rectangle (after triming)
Carved from: 3/4" Pine
Time to Carve: about 3 hours

Now - how to finish... paint? stain? both? Gee, that's the hardest part!

rjustice
06-04-2007, 03:24 PM
Michael,
In a word, WOW.... i think you are getting this down to a science. Very nice creativity... I would give it an A.... LOL

Seriously, very nice work! (or is it getting to be play now???) :)

Ron

BoardSilly
06-04-2007, 03:31 PM
J
Now - how to finish... paint? stain? both? Gee, that's the hardest part!

Very nice design for all us patriots! <hint hint>

I vote paint, stain, AND gold leaf.
Stain the wood of the branches/tree, paint the flag per spec, detail paint the eagle and use gold leaf on the letter faces to give it that 'pop'.
But thats me....

Digitalwoodshop
06-04-2007, 03:38 PM
Michael,

Ran not walked to your Website..... Not up yet but I can wait. Being retired Navy I really LOVE IT.

Will just the Eagle be avaliable for doing things like lamps and plaques? Love the Eagle.

AL

Bill
06-04-2007, 03:38 PM
Very nice, well done http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif

MrFTAMan
06-04-2007, 03:52 PM
Very creative!!!
God bless the USA!

BobHill
06-04-2007, 05:48 PM
Excellent Eagle. Had to download that one, thanks. The flag won't download from the "free" site. WTP site error or wrong URL it says.

Bob

pkunk
06-04-2007, 05:48 PM
Michael,

Ran not walked to your Website..... Not up yet but I can wait. Being retired Navy I really LOVE IT.

Will just the Eagle be avaliable for doing things like lamps and plaques? Love the Eagle.

AL
The eagle has landed-it's there. i want one! :cool:

mtylerfl
06-04-2007, 07:17 PM
Excellent Eagle. Had to download that one, thanks. The flag won't download from the "free" site. WTP site error or wrong URL it says.

Bob

Hello Bob,

Fixed the link for the free flag. Thanks for the heads up...should download fine now. (It is also posted in the Pattern Sharing Depot here on the forum)

Enjoy your Eagle!

mtylerfl
06-04-2007, 07:23 PM

Stain the wood of the branches/tree, paint the flag per spec, detail paint the eagle and use gold leaf on the letter faces to give it that 'pop'.
But thats me....

Thanks BoardSilly. Your ideas on finishing are great! I think I'll probably do what you suggested (I especially like the gold leaf idea on the letter faces).

Thank you all for the kind words on the Freedom Reigns project. It is definitely one of my personal favorites.

BobHill
06-04-2007, 07:47 PM
Thanks, Michael. Got it.

Bob

eagle1
06-04-2007, 09:13 PM
This one touched the heart, very well done. Gold Leaf on the letters ...

Digitalwoodshop
06-04-2007, 10:07 PM
Michael,

What is your background? If you don't mind sharing. Your work is Fantastic.

AL

mtylerfl
06-04-2007, 10:58 PM
Michael,

What is your background? If you don't mind sharing. Your work is Fantastic.

AL

Hello Al,

Thank you for the nice comment. I have had an artistic "bent" as long as I can remember. Seems I must create things to be happy. OK, you asked for it!...

Most of my "official" professional background is in retail sales, although I originally pursued a music major degree. While attending ASU in Tempe AZ, I made wood-carved wall mirrors and planters for extra moola. Made 20 mirror/planters a week in a cheap 10x10 metal shed and sold them each weekend at a local Park-n-Swap. That was the start of my working with wood...

Fast forward >>>...I managed several TV / Stereo /Appliance stores in Arizona for many years. I am also a musician and composer and played (keyboards) professionally since I was 15 years old. Now I play exclusively at our church and for a ministry called Do Not Fear Ministries along with my wife who is a musician/composer as well. (She is also still Active Duty (over 28 years) in the USPHS as a Commander)

In the early to mid-1980's I became interested in music software and MIDI (Musical Instrument Digital Interfaces). I obtained Atari, Commodore and Apple II computers, (then later, my first IBM) to record and compose music and to teach myself how to use computer graphics software. I then quit my job and partnered with a 13-store music store chain to become their so-called computer music "expert". I conducted at least four Music Technology Seminars each month for a couple years, then began to travel a bit and conducted MT seminars for J&J Music Corp. along with Roland Corp.. I finally settled down and started a mail-order company specializing in music software and hardware in 1987 (http://www.musicmall.com/cmp/)

Along the way, I took art classes at night, learned both methods of stained glass - Tiffany and traditional cathedral lead came construction, taught myself the art of sandblast carving in thick glass (but had to give that up after two years due to silica finding its way into my eyes!) and took classes for tole painting and ceramics and various other artsy type stuff.

After moving to Florida, I freelanced as a graphic artist/designer in Sarasota FL for awhile on the side whilst running the mail-order music software business, just to keep my chops sharp working with graphics software. Moved to Georgia...

Holy cow, this is getting way too long. Sorry. Anyway, I do a lot of arts and crafts stuff, record music each Tuesday and Thursday night in my home recording studio, mow the lawn every now and then, and then to relax, I help run the CarveBuddy site, make patterns and carve wood!

Edit - since you took me down "memory lane" I found some old pics of when I was making and selling the mirror-planter carvings waaay back when! (see the crude hand-drawn ad I made - gee, it's kinda embarassing) The "kid" you see in one of the pics is a high school kid I hired to help me "mass-produce"!

Ropdoc
06-05-2007, 09:53 AM
The eagle has landed-it's there. i want one! :cool:

Where did you guys find the Eagle? Or is it a proprietary file?

Thank you,
Dave

Digitalwoodshop
06-05-2007, 01:45 PM
Thank you for the background. An interesting life.

I downloaded the file, the fun continues....

Thanks !!!

A ruffed out Quilt Rack....

pkunk
06-05-2007, 01:52 PM
http://www.carvebuddy.com/birds.html

Where did you guys find the Eagle? Or is it a proprietary file?

Thank you,
Dave

Ropdoc
06-05-2007, 02:38 PM
Thank you for the background. An interesting life.

I downloaded the file, the fun continues....

Thanks !!!

A ruffed out Quilt Rack....

Your cutting from Plywood? I thought that we were not able to cut it in the Carvewright because of the glue in the wood.

Dave

Ropdoc
06-05-2007, 02:39 PM
http://www.carvebuddy.com/birds.html

Cool, thank you.

Dave

Kenm810
06-05-2007, 03:52 PM
Dave,
I'm not sure and could be wrong, but I don't think that's plywood, I seem to see knots in the project and the board it was cut from.

The edge of the project looks layered, but the carved bear doesn't :confused:

Digitalwoodshop
06-05-2007, 07:52 PM
Dave,

It's not plywood but South Eastern White Pine 1 x 12. I did a board position vice center of board and was less than 4 inches from the end. Mid cut out I had a board fault when the board got stuck on the inside of the roller. Pressed enter lifting the far end of the board to fix it. But it was off slightly and hence the stair step edge.

Thanks,

AL

Ropdoc
06-06-2007, 08:06 AM
I apologize for saying it was pine. I miss read the picture. But great job on the carve. Is there a big market for Quilt racks?

Dave

jspringertx
06-07-2007, 09:05 AM
I downloaded the flag and the eagles. Outstanding, I can't wait to try them out!

mtylerfl
06-07-2007, 09:34 PM
I downloaded the flag and the eagles. Outstanding, I can't wait to try them out!

Hello jspringertx,

Thanks! I'm getting ready to start finishing mine (this weekend?). Here's a pic after I trimmed the border of my carving...
(closeups tend to have the "fisheye" lens effect from my camera) - I did cut the rectangle straight!:)

pkunk
06-07-2007, 09:42 PM
That is VERY nice, Mike. I had to do a 'quicky' for an old vet friend yesterday (D-day), so couldn't spend the time to do better (like yours), but he was thrilled. Hope he has a few more years, as he's still got a smile from this!

Digitalwoodshop
06-07-2007, 09:49 PM
Could be a market for the quilt racks. A 2 day show with custom quilt racks, orders being taken at the show. We will see. Would like to do the Eagle on wall lamps and desk lamps.

Cut a Quilt rack today, I will post a separate post about it with pictures and file tomorrow. i don't want to clutter this post.

AL

mtylerfl
06-08-2007, 08:26 AM
That is VERY nice, Mike. I had to do a 'quicky' for an old vet friend yesterday (D-day), so couldn't spend the time to do better (like yours), but he was thrilled. Hope he has a few more years, as he's still got a smile from this!

Hello pkunk,

Great job! (Doesn't look like a "quickie" to me!) I'm sure your friend will treasure that for many years to come. God Bless him and his service to our country.

PS - The red lettering is fantastic - nice and sharp and clear. How did you do that so neatly?

pkunk
06-08-2007, 08:42 AM
Hello pkunk,

Great job! (Doesn't look like a "quickie" to me!) I'm sure your friend will treasure that for many years to come. God Bless him and his service to our country.

PS - The red lettering is fantastic - nice and sharp and clear. How did you do that so neatly?
Centerline. Spray project w/ sanding sealer, then spray letters w/ color. Sand off overspray. Quick, clean, easy.:)

mtylerfl
06-08-2007, 09:48 AM
Centerline. Spray project w/ sanding sealer, then spray letters w/ color. Sand off overspray. Quick, clean, easy.:)

Great tip! I'll have to try that. (...can only do raster and outline for now, but your technique would work for those as well...wish the Centerline feature was included with the newer software versions, but that's another topic:( )

Gman_Ind
06-08-2007, 10:12 AM
Outline is almost as fast as centerline, it is a vector cut anyway. I prefer to use the centerline for my tourist shop plaques. Paint, then centerline in some lettering and a vector graphic, bevel the edges and keyhole the back and done.:)

eagle1
06-08-2007, 10:21 AM
pkunk ----> Centerline. Spray project w/ sanding sealer, then spray letters w/ color. Sand off over spray. Quick, clean, easy.

Great Tip this works well -- Thanks

Dean

Digitalwoodshop
06-08-2007, 11:17 AM
Plunk,

What are your depth settings? VERY NICE!!!

AL

eagle1
06-08-2007, 12:52 PM
Take a look at this week-end project (one of many) .... what do you think? I use the no grain background so I can see detail better

Dean

mtylerfl
06-08-2007, 01:03 PM
Take a look at this week-end project (one of many) .... what do you think? I use the no grain background so I can see detail better

Dean

Dean,

What a GREAT idea! Every school classroom, business, and governmental office, etc. should have one of those proudly displayed IMHO!

Not sure if the text around the circle will carve legibly, though. Please let us know how the actual carving comes out.

BoardSilly
06-08-2007, 01:54 PM
Dean,

I think you should share the MPC for that project. That is something this country needs more of hanging in every visible area.

Gman_Ind
06-08-2007, 02:22 PM
I made that pledge many times. Never carved it though.

rjustice
06-08-2007, 02:24 PM
boardsilly,

AMEN!

eagle1
06-08-2007, 02:48 PM
I will post the file when I get home later tonight. Thanks for the comments.

jspringertx
06-08-2007, 03:12 PM
I am looking forward to your posting the mpc for the pledge. I have paid for the eagle and have the flag to I won't be copying anything for free....just what you have done. It is outstanding!

eagle1
06-08-2007, 05:37 PM
Thanks everyone for your input and here is what you all have asked for, I have not carved it yet so I don't know how it really is going to come out. On the center point text I designed it to use a 60 degree bit. If you carve one please post it so all can see the results.

Thanks

Dean

pkunk
06-08-2007, 08:40 PM
From Michael..........
"Hello Paul,

Thank you for looking out after us! You do a great job.

The mpc with the flag and pledge of allegiance is ok for public posting, since no commercial pattern is included on it. The flag pattern is a freebie I posted awhile back in the Pattern Sharing Depot.

Just wanted to give the official "ok" so that Dean would be in the clear for posting that particular mpc.

Thanks again for watching out for us!

leesheridan
06-09-2007, 03:30 PM
Hey, nice job. Our flag deserves a place of honor not just in the hearts of us who have served. But each and every day we need to be reminded of her price that's been paid by our friends and loved ones. You have done her honor.

bernie
06-10-2007, 02:18 PM
I Like It A Lot I Like To Know Where You Got The Patton From I Like To Do One

eagle1
06-10-2007, 04:38 PM
bernie,
Thanks for the complement.... Look at my post # 40 for the Carvewright pattern and the flag was from CarveBuddy. Take a look at their site they really have some good patterns to use ... http://www.carvebuddy.com/free_stuff_page_2.html

Haqve fun,

Dean

mtylerfl
06-14-2007, 11:03 AM

But thats me....

Hello,

I finally got my "Freedom Reigns" project finished. Special thanks to BoardSilly for the finishing ideas!

eagle1
06-14-2007, 11:08 AM
mtylerfl,

Very well done, I like the detail in the flag.

Dean

rjustice
06-14-2007, 11:11 AM
Very sharp!.... I am going to have to bite the bullet, and take some art classes i think.

The paint makes an already great piece look so incredible! I think i would have the eye for it, just dont know where to begin. Very nice work indeed!

Ron

mtylerfl
06-14-2007, 11:38 AM
mtylerfl,

Very well done, I like the detail in the flag.

Dean

Thanks, Dean and Ron.

The flag was definitely the hardest to paint - especially the stars! Used a toothpick, white paint, steady hand and a lot of eye strain!

Bill
06-14-2007, 01:03 PM
Excellent ! Very very nice indeed http://www.carvewright.com/forum3/images/icons/icon14.gif

BoardSilly
06-14-2007, 01:14 PM
Michael,

That is one smokin' piece... ya done good!

Kenm810
06-14-2007, 01:49 PM
Michael,

WOW, Great project and just in time for Flag Day http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_wink.gif

BobHill
06-14-2007, 01:59 PM
Great piece, Michael, and in color it's terrific.

Bob

Gman_Ind
06-14-2007, 02:09 PM
I like it. I gold leaved a plaque with a natural maple background, A darker background would have made the gold stand out more. There was not enough contrast.
note to self: dark backround when gold leafing.

pkunk
06-14-2007, 03:20 PM
Thanks, Dean and Ron.

The flag was definitely the hardest to paint - especially the stars! Used a toothpick, white paint, steady hand and a lot of eye strain!
That's why I didn't paint the one I did. :D You did good, I like.:cool:

eagle1
06-14-2007, 06:46 PM
Here is an update on the Pledge Of Allegiance plaque I posted a few days back. I carved this in MDF and it came out very good, now the only thing I have to do is get mtylerfl to come to Mississippi and paint mine like he did his. LOL

Took a few shots of the work, thought it wouldn't carve the letters around the flag. This machine is simply amazing....

Havin' fun making sawdust

Dean

Bill
06-14-2007, 07:15 PM
hello Dean,
Very nice work I like them :D http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif

rjustice
06-14-2007, 08:02 PM
Dean,

Gorgeous work! Nice crisp lettering too! A piece to definately be proud of

Thanks for sharing!

Ron

swhitney
06-14-2007, 08:10 PM
Nice job Dean!!

Curious, what are the plaque dimensions, and what bit did you use for the fine lettering? and was it using centerline???

thanx

Scott

Digitalwoodshop
06-14-2007, 08:45 PM
Excellent work. Please tell us about the lettering. Did you do it in Corel? Fit Text to a path? For the circle. Centerline Text? from the Font Boards or True Centerline. Or Raster? Details Please.......

I am VERY Impressed.....

AL

mtylerfl
06-14-2007, 09:38 PM
Here is an update on the Pledge Of Allegiance plaque I posted a few days back. I carved this in MDF and it came out very good, now the only thing I have to do is get mtylerfl to come to Mississippi and paint mine like he did his. LOL

Took a few shots of the work, thought it wouldn't carve the letters around the flag. This machine is simply amazing....

Havin' fun making sawdust
Dean

Hello Dean,

That is a simply fantastic project you have there. And the small lettering... How on earth did you pull that off? Superb!

(PS -ya know Mississippi ain't too far from us here in Georgia!)

eagle1
06-15-2007, 09:21 PM
I was a little concerned that she would not carve the letters correctly, but like I said she is amazing. All of the letters were created using the CW old beta centerline program. The circle text was completed using the 360 degree wrap setting. I found that if I select the 60 degree bit and bold for the letters they will go a little deeper for small text. When I imported the text into the project, I then created the Circles and the squares to fit the board and also the text.

The size of the board is 11" X 23" piece of scrap MDF I had in my shop. After carving I sealed it with a sanding sealer to keep the MDF from absorbing all of the paint. It is like a sponge....

Currently I am finishing the plaque with a granite type fleck paint, gold raised letters, and black in the pledge text. I am still waiting for Michael to come over and paint the flag. LOL As soon as I finish I will post some final pictures.

This project has been real fun and worthwhile.

Thanks again

Dean

eagle1
06-15-2007, 11:31 PM
Well here it is. It looks a lot better in real life. The granit effect really makes this real.

Dean

Kenm810
06-16-2007, 05:55 AM
Dean,

Your efforts have definitely shown through in this project.
Between the skill, imagination, and abilities with your machine
you have produced a fine piece of art that I'm sure anyone would be proud to display.

rjustice
06-16-2007, 08:37 AM
Dean,
Very nice. I really like the granite effect on the MDF.. Amazing what you can transform a piece of scrap into huh?... again very sharp!

Ron

mtylerfl
06-16-2007, 09:19 AM
Dean, what a great finishing job!

I really like the granite effect. I have a couple projects in mind that I thought I might want to attempt a "stone-look" as well - you have inspired me to go ahead and try it for myself. Thanks for sharing your excellent project! (You did a great job painting the flag, too!)

eagle1
06-20-2007, 09:30 AM
Here is on of my upcoming projects. Haven't figured out what I want to put on the scroll yet. I am open to any and all suggestions, hope it inspires y'all.

Thanks Dean

eagle1
06-20-2007, 09:34 AM
Here is an up right - sorry

BobHill
06-20-2007, 10:31 AM
Man, I do like that one. This is one I believe I'd do centerline cutting to for better looking text, using something particularly strong to your liking. You have a winner.

You do know that if you post and wish to change the image (or it's orientation) you can do an edit; remove the one you wish to change, then put in the new and SAVE. No need to post another message at all.

Bob

eagle1
06-20-2007, 11:14 AM
Bob, I do now, Thanks...... What do you think about this ?