PDA

View Full Version : Quilts?

Digitalwoodshop
06-03-2007, 08:43 PM
Is anyone making Quilting Racks or holders? Untapped market here.

AL

Kenm810
06-04-2007, 07:08 AM
Hi AL,

My wife Barb has been a quilter for several years, so at her (request) I have made quite a few racks and stands for her and her friends, most are similar to these pictured below. Sorry to say but the market here is on the low side. Nearly every fabric, craft, or department store around here sells them or kits to build them. -- I could see a possible market for the racks and stands if they were embellished with designs or personalized using the CW or CC machine and sold through consignment or arts and crafts shows. We do have at least 2 very large quilters shows near us each year that could be looked into.
Just a thought.

Digitalwoodshop
06-04-2007, 09:14 AM
Snicker snicker.... Ken, your right. I copied the very same pictures and about 30 more doing research for this. You just need to see the excitement in the little old ladies eyes when you say "Custom Quilt Rack". Yes embellishment is the way to go... Between the Laser Engraver, Carve Machine, Sublimation, and just added CLTT this could just work.

CLTT is Color Laser Toner Transfer or using a Color Laser Printer and special paper and a heat press to put color on wood, plastic, glass and more. I already had the heat press and you can get a printer for as little as $300.00.

It has some limitations but for some applications is better then Sublimation I am now using.

Rick, this might interest you for your sign business. More info on CLTT at

http://www.worldofengraving.com/

The picture is taken from the web site and is a example of a color laser printer, special paper, and a heat press on wood. For the Carve Enthusiast with a creative flair this could be a real plus.

It prints on T shirts too....

AL

Kenm810
06-04-2007, 10:24 AM
AL,

As you say, its fun to watch their eyes light up, if I can find them I’ll post some pictures of their quilt squares I photographed, then carved on my CC with a canvas texture from Photo Shop, I finished them by added the colors lightly with colored pencils and gave them an antique top coat with a key slot on the back for hanging them on the wall. I had cookies, muffins, and cakes for a month. Barb asked when I had time to carve several of her 12” and 16” quilt blocks to hang in her craft studio loft up stairs.
Hmmm not talking cookies and cakes this time. :p

Digitalwoodshop
06-05-2007, 01:51 PM
Zipped out a quick design of a quilt rack with the designer. Used cutout and hole drilling.

Just got back with a trailer load of wood, the fun continues....

AL

Had to cover the old wood with newsprint as it was too dark. The new wood should work.

Kenm810
06-05-2007, 04:06 PM
Al,

Very nice, they'll love them, just saw it in different post,
in the side view photo the grain or ring lines look incredibly straight
making it appear as plywood in the picture.

Ps.Never mind, Matty your right

Matty
06-05-2007, 11:47 PM
Al,

Very nice, they'll love them, just saw it in different post,
in the side view photo the grain or ring lines look incredibly straight
making it appear as plywood in the picture.
Can you imagine how big that tree had to be to have such parallel growth rings.

I could be wrong but that looks like a stepping problem with the cutting

dongear@earthlink.net
06-06-2007, 05:55 AM
Al,

Can you elaborate more on what equipment is needed to do this, and where it might be found? Any place or type of equipment you would recommend?

It sounds really neat.

Thanks,

Don