PDA

View Full Version : Brand new Machine, What should I mod before I turn it on.

redlegchevy
06-03-2007, 12:40 PM
Greetings,
I just bought my first Carvewright. I have unpacked it and assembled it. Other than downloading the newest software, what mods should I do before I turn it on.
I read about sealing the board edge sensor.

Can someone post a sticky called "So now you own a Carvewright. What you should do before you turn it on."

Thanks

Ryan
0 hours on machine

Jeff_Birt
06-03-2007, 12:45 PM
There are two parts to upgrading the software. The 'Designer' software on your PC and the machines firmware. When you download the new software (1.120) from CW you will actually get both. After installing the update on your PC, launch Designer and with your memory card plugged in go to File -> Flash manager. Select update firmware from teh screen that pops up.

rjustice
06-03-2007, 02:21 PM
Ryan,

I would also go ahead and lube the flex shaft before using it. A repaired unit went up in smoke recently as soon as it came back. Not worth risking in my opinion.

It wouldnt hurt to check your roller pressure with a set of bathroom scales. should be about 85-90 lbs.

Check your support roller heights to the sandpaper belt - mine were off almost 1/4 inch.

Dont wait long to build yourself a downdraft table... It has been one of the best investments in my time so far. A clean machine is a happy machine..

Welcome aboard, and happy carving !!

Ron

oldjoe
06-03-2007, 04:18 PM
Welcome to the wonderful world of CC dust making, the only things I did was made sure out feeds were aligned and made sure everything was tight. I ran a couple of small projects before I lubed the shaft.

redlegchevy
06-03-2007, 04:58 PM
Thanks for the advice. I lubed the the flex shaft and checked the out feeds. I need to invest in a bathroom scale I guess to check the pressure.

I ran my first project on a piece of 20"x4"x3/4" stock. Just prior to the final cut, gave me a "clean Y track" notice. I clean it all and changed my bit, the it proceded to carve the last part almost an inch too high. The bit never even touched the wood. A little free hand with the router and I was able to finish the project. I think the down draft table is a good idea. I am off to the store to get a small shop vac before they close.

Thanks for the help,

Ryan
Carve time - almost 38 minutes!!!

Digitalwoodshop
06-03-2007, 07:36 PM
As the Robot on Lost In Space would say at a time like this.... DANGER DANGER WILL ROBBISON...... DANGER..... Shop Vac and Carve Machine = DANGER.... Read the posts that start out..... "I just finished carving my first board and cleaned up with a SHOP VAC and now the unit WON'T TURN ON...." Static on the Vac hose picking up wood chips creates high voltage static electricity and will KILL YOUR Carve machine.

Proceed with caution, search dust collection, static, dead machine....

I use a ground wire between my 2 HP dust collector and the Carve Machine and even use dryer foil hose that is grounded.

Even the small 1 HP dust collector was effective before I hooked up the bigger one. I made a hood to catch dust up top but as I watch the carving the dust gets sucked down the center in great quantities.

Good Luck,

AL

redlegchevy
06-03-2007, 11:11 PM
Thanks for the warning about the static dangers. I have modified my setup to compensate. I belive I am fully grounded now.

I did get a "fatal error 2" tonight on my 4th project. Luckily it was when it was cutting the edges. I think from now on I will use the table saw and router to do my finishing cuts anyway. I just wanted to see how it worked.

Thanks again for the advice.
Ryan

Jeff_Birt
06-03-2007, 11:30 PM
Ryan, the Fatal Error 2, when doing a Cut-Out, is caused by the machine getting confused about the height of your board. Make sure you have the correct board thickness set up in Designer, that you are not trying to cut-out a board more than 1" thick, and you CANNOT use cut-out is your board is on a sled.

redlegchevy
06-04-2007, 01:06 AM
Sure enough,

My project was .75 inches, but my practice scrap was 1"

Thanks