PDA

View Full Version : Axis stall, belt tension?

RC Woodworks
06-02-2007, 01:31 AM
Gee, I kind of wonder what will happen when I ask for help for this? I read through the back forums to see if anyone else has had this problem. I found a couple, but not a cure. Now I am having Y axis problems. I go through the process and sometimes have bit finding trouble. It is like something is restricting the movement and it very jerky. Then when it does start and I restart after the CCM it will stop again with an axis stall.

I turn the power off and by hand move the cutting head left to right and it is really tight. I have tried blow the dust out, spraying some lube and wiping it off. Then it moves ok, but near the center it seems tighter.

Then I noticed the movement belt was loose. I did recently replace the motor and the tension plate is on the top of the motor. So I loosen the screw and tighten the belt and re tighten the screw. It still seems tight, when I get it move side to side some what smooth I try to carve and towards the end of the project it has an axis stall.

Any thoughts, anyone else had this trouble? I hope I don't need to send it in for repair, I have a show next week and really want to use my CC! Well I am glad CW is open on saturdays now!

Rick

rjustice
06-02-2007, 05:30 AM
Rick,
I know you have probably already tried this, but i had a stall on the Y axis a couple of times when i first started carving. This was before i got the downdraft table going. In both cases I simply had a bunch of dust build up inside the track that the Y axis belt is housed in. It was packing into the cogs of the belt badly.

To fix it I simply shut off the power to the machine, and took a air hose in one hand and a vacume in the other and blew it out, sucking the dust as i went.... after i got the majority out i then started pushing the Y axis back and forth by hand while blowing air on the belt... It eventually started moving smoothly and i would again stop and vacume while puffing air into the track again... did this probably half dozen times, and it has been fine ever since.... I would bet you are just needing a good cleaning...

Good luck fellow carver!!

Ron

Kenm810
06-02-2007, 07:43 AM
The last time I had a Y axis stall was after an aspen project that I had set up to carve with the wood grain aliened with the Y axis, in several parts of the carving the bit shaved off rather large curls of wood as you would see when you’re hand plainning with a block plainer. Even after cleaning and vacuuming the machine I had to remove some of the curls by hand from around the cogs and belts, the truck movement went back to normal with no more errors.

benluz
06-02-2007, 08:36 AM
The last time I had a Y axis stall was after an aspen project that I had set up to carve with the wood grain aliened with the Y axis, in several parts of the carving the bit shaved off rather large curls of wood as you would see when you’re hand plainning with a block plainer. Even after cleaning and vacuuming the machine I had to remove some of the curls by hand from around the cogs and belts, the truck movement went back to normal with no more errors.

Also ,if you use a good quality dry lubricant on the rails, like silicone with one of the additives..I think ptf is .it will dry but leave a slick film the dose not attract dust.I use this on all the moving part where dust is likely to build up.
Ben

RC Woodworks
06-02-2007, 12:17 PM
Thanks all, I have cleaned it, but after I replaced the motor switch it started acting slow and jerky. The Z truck that is and when I put the old one back on it carved a sign. I did noticed the pulley belt was loose since I replaced the cut motor and have used it for about 6 or more hours I thought maybe the the tension plate on the motor came loose.

So I loosen the screw and held the plate tight and retighten the screw. With the power off I moved the Z truck side to side and it was not smooth. I did get it to move ok and tried another project that stopped towards the end of the job.

I am going to check the left gear to see if it is clogged up. If that won't do I will call CW. I have a feeling it is going to make a trip to Texas and I need it for a show next week. UGH!!!!!!!!!! :(

Rick

RC Woodworks
06-02-2007, 05:13 PM
Well by the time I replace all the parts I will have a new machine! I need a Z pack for my Y axis stall. I called CW and thought I was in trouble a new tech Christina didn't want to help me. She told me I was on a note in her computer to talk to Deidre or Rawls. I asked why? She didn't know why and of course Deidre or Rawls was not there.

So I asked could you help me I am having problem with a Y axis stall. She wanted to wait until Monday. Not what I wanted to do so I asked who else was there? She told me Hope, my old friend! She helped me and she found out what the note was about.

She had a supervisor call me and the to let me know since I have been having so much trouble they wanted to see what they could do. How is that for service!!!!

After taking the cover off ( thanks again for those who help me remove it correctly) I took out the Z pack and it looked ok, but after a good cleaning and connecting everything. I ran a test and still got a Y axis stall. So I called the supervisor Shane and she told me she would get one sent to me on Monday.

I asked if I could pay the difference for overnight shipping so that I have my CC for my upcoming show. No problem and she hopes to solve my CCM issue also!!! Believe it or not I am trying to get my wife to let me buy a back up CC!

Rick

Digitalwoodshop
06-02-2007, 10:01 PM
I needed my back up this weekend. I was doing carving in the wood shop and listening to it on the intercom in the quiet laser shop next door. All of a sudden I hear a unusual noise and a grinding. My V60 popped out of the chuck. Ruined the board and spit the bit out to the bit flag area.

Set back up, cleaned the chuck, back running and I go back to the laser shop and the same thing.... This time it broke a wing of the chuck....

I have a wrench and square drive and removed it. Bad damage.... Called CW and one will be on the way shortly, out of stock. THANKS !!!!!

Back up machine is now making my stuff for the show I have in 2 weeks.

Note to self... Finish the E Stop and camera setup. Could have prevented the damage with a quick slap of the E stop.

That was a long 20 foot walk to the wood shop.

AL

mtylerfl
06-02-2007, 11:59 PM
Al,

Those bears look great!

What is the finish you put on the bears and in the lettering?
Is it a stain / dye / paint?