PDA

View Full Version : photo help

smalltowngirl
05-28-2007, 01:52 PM
I would like to be able to carve this picture, but everytime I try it, it turns out about 2 inches in size and very bad quality. Can someone tell me how to fix this please.

VtBlues
05-28-2007, 03:19 PM
If you attach your .mpc file I'm sure that someone here would be able to help. Would seem that it would have to do with you board size settings and pattern size. Patterns should be able to be stretched in designer to almost any size you like. In designer if you click on the pattern you shouold see a toolbar that has depth, height, angle and dimensions. I would check that and see what it says. Should be what you get given the board size is good to fit the pattern and you don't let the machine scale it for you. that can give some unexpected results.

meat
05-28-2007, 08:16 PM
I would like to be able to carve this picture, but everytime I try it, it turns out about 2 inches in size and very bad quality. Can someone tell me how to fix this please.

Well, your picture is too big for the board to start with. the CW is going to want to resize the carving to a more managable size.

To fix this, I'd recommend getting a bigger board, or making the carving a bit smaller (a good rule I've come up with is about .75" on each side ... then again, all I do is cut parts out with minimal cutting so YMMV).

The reason you're coming up with less than optimal quality is that the bottom of the image is really busy. A better plan would be to use Corel or Photoshop to cut out the image you want to print and just import that.

Hope that helps!

Your pal,
Meat.

VtBlues
05-29-2007, 12:34 AM
Meats right. Your pic is too big for the board you are using. Should be an easy fix. Just drag the colored balls at the edge of your pattern(with the pattern selected) and you can change either horizonal and vertical together(corner dots) or either horizonal or vertical using the midline dots. meat is right also that the bottom half of the pic is too busy and would need some cleaning up. Almost any photo editing software should be able to help you out with that. I'm running designer 1.12 and when I open your project and select the pattern I get a toolbar in the upper group of toolbars with all of the mentioned dimensions. Working with photos is actually more of an art than science. A lot of variables to play with in both setting up the pattern and carving parameters. Good luck.

meat
05-29-2007, 10:51 AM
Meats right.
Not really a response to the above post ... I just like seeing "Meat's right" as often as possible, and wanted to point it out to anyone reading this.

Not just because it's true ... but also because it's so often the case. :D

Another thing you may want to consider doing is letting the CW machine measure the board you're planning on carving first. This way, you'll know the exact dimensions of the wood, and you won't run into any unnecessary 'jiggling of the handle' (so to speak) when you go to carve.

Your pal,
Meat.

pamjmayo
05-29-2007, 11:32 AM
Everyone has given you the answers but I have found that if I put a piece of wood in the carver it should be around 20"L to stay under the rollers. You can then tell the machine to carve on edge, etc. to save wood. If I do what you are doing, the picture comes out about a postage size because the CC is going to grab the first 3" on each side and then scale to size. Try a picture on a cheap piece of longer wood to se how you like it. In future, if you want to use smaller wood, you will need a jig.

Pam

meat
05-29-2007, 11:42 AM
Everyone has given you the answers but I have found that if I put a piece of wood in the carver it should be around 20"L to stay under the rollers. You can then tell the machine to carve on edge, etc. to save wood. If I do what you are doing, the picture comes out about a postage size because the CC is going to grab the first 3" on each side and then scale to size. Try a picture on a cheap piece of longer wood to se how you like it. In future, if you want to use smaller wood, you will need a jig.

I don't know about that; the general rule of thumb is about 4" on each end (I include a fudge factor, just in case). Using up 20" of wood to do a 6" carving seems kind of wasteful...

...just my opinion.

Your pal,
Meat.

VtBlues
05-29-2007, 12:02 PM
There is, I'm sure a minimum length that will stay under the rollers. I don't think its 20 though cause I have used some 18 and I believe 15. Does kinda depend on your pattern dimensions also. I usually do practice carving on cheap pine a .25 depth. If you leave 1/2 inch from the edges of your design to the board edge, you can flip it over and carve the other side. This is assuming that your board is 3/4 thick. Does cut down a little on the waste.

rpringle
05-30-2007, 03:30 AM
I use a sled with 3.5 inch boards on each side which are equal thickness to you carved board.
Double sided tape will hold all in place and can be used several times.

Russ

pastime106
05-30-2007, 06:28 AM
As much as it pains me to say it I believe he may be right on the money again!
Not really a response to the above post ... I just like seeing "Meat's right" as often as possible, and wanted to point it out to anyone reading this.

Not just because it's true ... but also because it's so often the case.

I had also ran into the issue of the postage stamp carving. I found out the easiest way for my carving to be carved exactly as I see them is to measure the board first. (Option 7 from main menu). Then using a caliper I mesure the thickness of the board. Then enter the information in designer under board settings. (Also easy to do with "New Project"). This way,what you see on your screen will maintain the same size ratio and the machine will not try and re-size your project. I also carve at times without the "stay under rollers" option. Generally when I am cutting a very shallow depth project. (Yes, to everyone out there "Under the roller is better...........) but you can still get some very decent results if you do not carve too deep.

Hope it helps
Tom

Gman_Ind
05-30-2007, 08:33 AM
I don't usually 'stay under the rollers' I have stared using up my shorter scraps for plaques. I will use a slightly wider board and not let it scale to width, the extra material on the sides keep the project held fine. I have cut several oval pieces and left a full thickness piece on each side and have had good success.
one possible issue I have seen that might be a result of the board passing out from under the rollers is a faint line when the board leaves the roller, not sure but I have seen a line in a few carvings and this might be why.