PDA

View Full Version : What did I do wrong ????

Ropdoc
05-28-2007, 12:37 PM
Wow.....The carving looks nothing like the program. In Designer it looked great. I was cutting it out of 3/4" x 5-1/2" x 20" inches long pine. I set the carve depth to 3/4". I let run thinking I could save it but just gave up.

Did I screw up my machine or what did I do wrong? When I up loaded to the card I set it to the best setting I could. Can anyone help me?

Dave

bladesmith
05-28-2007, 01:14 PM
Dave,

I am sure others will offer their thoughts as well, but I would recommend not carving to the full depth of the board. Leave an eighth or sixteenth at least, and then use the outline pattern, and cut path options to let the cutting bit actually cut the part from the board. It will leave you with only a little cleanup to do, mostly where it leaves the tabs to hold the piece in place, and will, I think, help your carving by allowing the rollers better purchase to drive it through properly while carving.

Cheers,
Bladesmith

mtylerfl
05-28-2007, 01:29 PM
Dave,

I am sure others will offer their thoughts as well, but I would recommend not carving to the full depth of the board. Leave an eighth or sixteenth at least, and then use the outline pattern, and cut path options to let the cutting bit actually cut the part from the board. It will leave you with only a little cleanup to do, mostly where it leaves the tabs to hold the piece in place, and will, I think, help your carving by allowing the rollers better purchase to drive it through properly while carving.

Cheers,
Bladesmith

Hello Ropdoc,

Bladesmith is correct - your carving depth should not be set at the full depth of the board. About the most depth I would go is .65" and even that is "pushing it" on 3/4" stock - especially if the board is not perfectly flat.

Safer to go less deep (.5" to .6") to be sure your cutout tabs will have enough wood to hold the wrench in place during the actual cutout procedure.

Dan-Woodman
05-28-2007, 01:31 PM
Also, was your board the same length as called out in the mpc.
It looks like you might have told it to size to the board and it stretched the carving.

mtylerfl
05-28-2007, 01:40 PM
Also, was your board the same length as called out in the mpc.
It looks like you might have told it to size to the board and it stretched the carving.

Good observation. Yes, it looks as if the project board was not set to stay under rollers either (hence the missed spots likely from the board moving during carving).

Ropdoc, you should always try to keep your project under rollers for the best and most consistent results, especially when you are still getting familiar with the machine. Remember to add at least 7" length to the actual board you intend to carve on to keep the project under the rollers at all times.

Example: If you make the board 12" long in the Designer software, cut your REAL board to a length of at least 19" before placing on the machine.

Ropdoc
05-28-2007, 04:44 PM
Thank you guys. I did set the baord to stay under the rollers and cut it to 27 inches long but I did not make any cut paths. I am still learning.

So I changed the depth to 1/2" and made to cut paths. I just started the new part.

I really apreciate your knowledge and help. If it wasn't for you guys I would have given up.

I will post the finished (hopefully) part pics.

Dave

dcurrysr
05-28-2007, 08:32 PM
Ropdoc
You can try this one, It carved nicely for me. It is two sided and I carved it out of 3/4" pine. The lettering can be changed as you see fit.
Dave

Ropdoc
05-28-2007, 10:10 PM
Boy I wish I would have seen that earlier. But I did finish the one I was working on. What do you think? What a difference a little knowledge makes.

Thank you for all the help guys.

Dave

cajunpen
05-28-2007, 11:07 PM
Dave, the wrench looks great - nice job, and glad you learned something new.

mtylerfl
05-29-2007, 09:33 AM
Boy I wish I would have seen that earlier. But I did finish the one I was working on. What do you think? What a difference a little knowledge makes.

Thank you for all the help guys.

Dave

Ropdoc,

That looks fantastic -Great Job!

Bill
05-30-2007, 06:11 AM
Quite a contrast, ;) nice job http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif

Gman_Ind
05-30-2007, 09:00 AM
It looks great, and it was a valuable learning experience as well, for you of course and hopefully for others just getting started as well.
the big lesson is not to give up! come here and someone will try to help.