PDA

View Full Version : Wild Bit

jdrof
05-26-2007, 08:11 PM
After a carving was complete, it asked for the 60 deg vector bit to create and oval around the carving. It went thru the bit find process, spun up and started to its beginning location only to drag across the carving leaving a 1/16" groove. It went thru the vector route but I was afraid to let it continue the cut path.

Any ideas on what the problem might be? I just had the z-pack and z-truck replaced 3 weeks ago and just put in a new board sensor today. All checked out fine.

Any help would be welcome.

Thanks,

Jeff_Birt
05-26-2007, 09:02 PM
It sounds like it had some sort of issue with the bit find proceedure. If the bit plate did not come all the way out or if for soem reason you put in a diffrent bit when it went to carve than when it did the initial bit test (when it bring the bit doen to the board) that could have cause problems. It might be good to do a couple of simple tests with vector paths to see if it OK.

Digitalwoodshop
05-26-2007, 09:06 PM
Sounds like a bit find problem too. Watch the bit flag and be sure it comes out all the way. My bit flag was not even coming out and it was the cable from the right cover motor power switch wires in back. The Z pack cooling fins were hitting the cable preventing to head movement far enough right to trip the bit flag.

Good Luck,

AL

jdrof
05-26-2007, 09:38 PM
Yes. Thankyou both.
I do remember the V-bit hitting the flag with its side and not the tip.
This would account for the added depth. A build up of sawdust was probably the problem.

Thanks again

Jeff_Birt
05-26-2007, 09:41 PM
You really have to watch for any sawdust build up around the bit plate during bit changes. I also (after a good clening) a bit on bicycle chain wax on the contact area between the bit plate cam and truck. It will not collect dirt/saw dust when dry and helps to get that bit plate out there.