PDA

View Full Version : Observation on scanning probe/drive cable

Jeff_Birt
05-25-2007, 11:54 PM
After I installed my probe tonight the cut motor did it's little jerky thing and promtly unplugged the probe for me . I rememberd reading a post a while back where some one mentioned that they removed the drive cable from the head when scanning to prevent this. As I moved the Y-axis I noticed that the acble pivots in the head, which it needs to do to prvent twisting the cable, I also noticed that this also twists the probe. It made we wonder if this external twisting of the probe might be the cause of the occasional 'scratch' seen in some scans? So, I unplugged my drive cable, now i guess we will see ;)

mtylerfl
05-26-2007, 08:42 AM
Hello Jeff,

I too had the probe "spin problem" so I pull out the flex shaft before I do any scanning to prevent possible damage to the probe wire (from twisting violently out of its socket). I have not witnessed any quality difference, better or worse, by doing so.

One thing I noticed though - used to be that if I was scanning and lifted the cover (to answer the phone usually), the probe would pause until I re-closed the cover (normal).

Now that I scan without the flexshaft connected, the machine no longer pauses scanning when the cover is opened (not normal).

Not that big a deal, but I thought the cover switches would cause the machine to stop regardless whether the flex shaft was connected or not.

pkunk
05-26-2007, 09:19 AM
Hello Jeff,

I too had the probe "spin problem" so I pull out the flex shaft before I do any scanning to prevent possible damage to the probe wire (from twisting violently out of its socket). I have not witnessed any quality difference, better or worse, by doing so.

One thing I noticed though - used to be that if I was scanning and lifted the cover (to answer the phone usually), the probe would pause until I re-closed the cover (normal).

Now that I scan without the flexshaft connected, the machine no longer pauses scanning when the cover is opened (not normal).

Not that big a deal, but I thought the cover switches would cause the machine to stop regardless whether the flex shaft was connected or not.

That IS odd! I wonder???