PDA

View Full Version : Fatal error 3, reboot???

BearlyRich
05-25-2007, 11:25 PM
Seems I'm starting down that nasty path. Bad chuck, check cut motor, and now I get a Fatal Error 3 during a carve. does anyone know what this error means?

The machine was just cleaned & lubed and it's about 25 hours old or so. Other than a CCM after 5 minutes on every carve, it runs just fine. I had just carved a project and decided to try another. Full cleaning before it started. It stopped half way through with a CCM. Hit enter, it carves away. While I'm working on somehting else, it just stops. The error displayed on the LCD and the bit still touching the piece.

I can't share the project because it's Ted Grinnel's Aztec Calendar so not free...

The only possible suggestion I may have is that my board was a bit small so I let it carve without staying under the rollers. It did get the error after the left side of the board had cleared the roller. Maybe the board picked up a tiny bit???

If anyone knows better, please let me know. I have enough firewood without making more.

And yes I did do a search for all "fatal errors" Only one mention of a "3" and all it said was "thanks". Not much help...

Oh, and I should mention that the Aztec Calendar looks great carved, or at least the 3/4's of it I got :p . Thanks Ted!

Jeff_Birt
05-25-2007, 11:30 PM
I think you may have figured it out, the board tipping sounds plausable. The only 'Fatal Error' I've gotton have been from my own making, trying to use 'Cut-out' with a board on a sled (Fatal Error 2 as I recall). Shame there is not a better expanation of the eror numbers (Yet). Have you tried another project since?

BearlyRich
05-26-2007, 12:03 AM
Thanks. No, this carve was the last of the night and just a test while I worked on something else. Since it's a holiday weekend, I should be able to run another test or two before I panic and call for help.

Yes, it would be nice if there was a listing of all the erros and possible causes/remedies. We can hope for them...

And thanks for telling me about cutting on a sled. I was just wondering about that tonight. Guess it's not a good idea ;-)

Jeff_Birt
05-26-2007, 12:40 AM
You can just use the 'Select Bit' tool and cut down 'till you leave only 0.030" or so. That will hold the piece in and is still easy to cut out by hand.

Semper Fi
05-26-2007, 06:24 AM
Rich, I've not experienced the Fatal Error messages yet, but I will tell you the CCM motor message into the first 5 minutes of the carve isn't a software glitch. I explained mine away as that until it went belly up and needed the surgeons down in Texas. After the rebuild...... no more CCM messages. In fact, no more problems after about 15 hours of carving............. life is good!!

Ernie

BearlyRich
05-27-2007, 02:36 AM
Thanks Jeff. Good idea about the cutting depth. I've used that for toher projects and it seems pretty accurate.

Ernie, boy that makes me feel a whole lot better ;-) I'll just keep my fingers crossed for a while. I'm having too much fun with it now to lose it for a real fix...

Unfortunately, with the holiday weekend and the schedule my girls have set up, I won't be able to get anything done at all. Hopeful for Monday ;-)