PDA

View Full Version : Teak?

Hanna
05-24-2007, 09:26 PM
Has anyone ever used teak wood or know how it carves?

swhitney
05-24-2007, 11:06 PM
How about IPE (Brazilian Mahagony I think...). Anybody carve a wood this dense?

pkunk
05-25-2007, 09:15 AM
While I haven't tried either, the machine would rout them with ease. I believe the rpm sensor is the key. While it takes very small bites per pass, if it senses that the rpm's are dropping from difficulty in cutting, it lessens the depth of cut to increase rpm's. I've watched it do this in deep centerline cutting.

pamjmayo
05-25-2007, 10:17 AM
I went to a specialty wood store last week and wanted to buy some African wood and other really unusual woods. He has a large CNC ($75,000) and told me it would never carve. Now I wonder if it would route???

Anyway, just my 2 cents worth.

Digitalwoodshop
05-25-2007, 11:30 AM
Learned something new... Thanks !!!!
"While I haven't tried either, the machine would rout them with ease. I believe the rpm sensor is the key. While it takes very small bites per pass, if it senses that the rpm's are dropping from difficulty in cutting, it lessens the depth of cut to increase rpm's. I've watched it do this in deep centerline cutting."

edp
05-25-2007, 11:34 AM
It has been my experience (limited) that teak carves very well. Ipe on the other hand would concern me as it is extremely hard. Wouldn't try this without an ultra sharp bit.

swhitney
05-26-2007, 08:35 AM
Thanks for the info Guys and Gals. When I find a suitable project for the IPE, I will post the results with a report. I figured that it would make durable outdoor signs.

pkunk
05-26-2007, 09:38 AM
It has been my experience (limited) that teak carves very well. Ipe on the other hand would concern me as it is extremely hard. Wouldn't try this without an ultra sharp bit.
Is (in your exalted opinion) Ipe harder than Corian? :confused: