PDA

View Full Version : Best Bit For Cutouts

Hawg_man
05-23-2007, 05:58 AM
I need advice on the best bit to use for cutout projects............I only have the 1/8" straight bit that came with my machine. Most of the projects will be 3/4" pine and average 18" long, the bit seems a little small for this.

Bob

JOHNB
05-23-2007, 06:38 AM
That's One Heck Of A Bit And I'm Sure That's The One. Although I Have'nt Done Any Cutouts, I'll Take It Close And Finish On The Bandsaw. Sometimes With A Wider Bit(1/4). My Eyes Have Gotten A Little Crooked. Be Careful Of The Loose Piece (spinning Or Floping) Unless It Is Set-up With Tabs..

Aaron B
05-23-2007, 06:50 AM
If you use the 'cut-path' method it automatically selects the 1/8" cutting bit. They have been know to break but that is the size needed because that is what size the software is looking for. Doing cut path will leave tabs so it wont flop around.

Charles M
05-23-2007, 07:19 AM
Bob,

I have cut many things larger than what you describe with the 1/8" bit using the Cut Path and had no issues. Even if you made the paths larger to accommodate a larger bit keep in mind that you would be creating a LOT more chips and dust.

Gman_Ind
05-23-2007, 09:19 AM
I have used the cutout function and unless it is a very detailed cutout your time might be better used utilizing traditional tools.
The 1/8 bit does a fine job, it makes multiple depth passes to cutout the design. and as mentioned before when you use the cutout feture it leaves tabs automatically they don't show up in the designer software but they remind me of the plastic runners that a plastic model airplane is held onto the runners/sprues with.

liquidguitars
05-23-2007, 11:21 AM
I use the 1/4 round nose to cut parts sometimes, this saves the 1/8 bit..
make your own tabs in designer as a work around.

LG

Gman_Ind
05-23-2007, 12:45 PM
I did not see the 1/4" bit in the bit selection. Are you manually accounting for the extra bit size?

Hawg_man
05-23-2007, 12:46 PM
Thanks all for the input.............I've ordered another 1/8" bit in case one breaks and I'm going to try my first cutout tonight.

Bob

Gman_Ind
05-23-2007, 12:49 PM
The only time I had a bit break was when the collet slipped and the bit and adapter fell out at full speed during a cut.

liquidguitars
05-23-2007, 03:15 PM
I select the 1/4 ball nose under the pattern bit option if need be, and then wait a sec, Designer will show us the 1/4 bits results. the ball nose bits are good for larger path cutting and 3D milling of parts overall.
LG

benluz
05-23-2007, 04:27 PM
I did a few cut paths in hard maple and used the standard 1/8 bit and it did fine,I expect as it starts to dull you will hear the machine screaming for help in Hard maple or other hard dense woods,but with a sharp bit, these small diameters seem to work fine.
Ben