PDA

View Full Version : help needed.

betacrash
05-22-2007, 05:09 PM
i am trying to make a sign for my aunts salon. please do not grill me for how goofy the name is. i dont really know what to do here. i have made the design in corel draw. i just wanted to cut this out with the letters raised and possibly put some kind of stock leaf or something on each side to class it up. I have no idea where to begin. how would you guys do this? The sign should be about 14 3/4 x 24 1/2.

http://img71.imageshack.us/img71/2649/graphic2jv0.jpg

JOHNB
05-22-2007, 05:34 PM
Hi Betacrash; I'm Not Trying To Be A Wise Guy But They Say Jon Over At Allcw Has Some Great Tutorials I Believe For Exactly What You Want To Do Here???

betacrash
05-22-2007, 05:44 PM
no offense taken. i just did a search for allcw and found out that it is a website. i will check it out. thanks.

Jon Jantz
05-22-2007, 05:58 PM
Thanks JohnB....

Betacrash, you can look under tutorials on the site... I used Corel X3 Autotrace to trace your angel and did this up in a few minutes using the basic functions of Coreldraw...

I'll attach the pattern if you want to use it...

Later, Jon

pamjmayo
05-23-2007, 02:19 AM
Joh, do you think it's worth the money to buy Corel if we are going to use the CC? Pam

betacrash
05-23-2007, 04:42 AM
Jon that is exactly what I was needing. Is the tutorial that everyone's talking about the $10 one for makeing address signs? If so, I will be buying it. Thanks!

JOHNB
05-23-2007, 06:50 AM
Jon, That Sign Is So Pretty I Might Carve One Myself. Hehe

Gman_Ind
05-23-2007, 09:35 AM
Hey Beta I like the name! A really nice, simple layout . JJ is great at this and makes it look easy.
I gotta like the helpful members, I think he (JJ) beat sarge to it this time ;)
Good luck on your carving.

Gman_Ind
05-23-2007, 09:47 AM
Joh, do you think it's worth the money to buy Corel if we are going to use the CC? Pam
Pam this subject happens to have been discussed in this other thread (http://carvewright.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3268) as well.
If a program could be devised to auto greyscale an image to create a 3d carving from a 2d image I would be first in line to purchase it. And it would have to be super easy to use of course. ;)

betacrash
05-27-2007, 08:26 AM
Hey Jon! I purchased your tutorial and I now know how to make the sign just as you did. But I have one problem. I have to change the wording at the bottom to say "A Full Service Salon" instead of "Jo Ann Messer Salons". I have to so some other tweaking and the contours are absolute memory hogs and whenever I move the parts or do anything it takes about 10 or more seconds to re-render the drawing. Im getting a new PC on Tuesday but that will be too late since I need to have the sign done early tuesday for a commercial that they are shooting. Just wondering if you would be so nice as to send me the .CDR file so I can just change the wording at the bottom. I hope nobody in this thread is ready to throw a rotten tomato at me for being needy and ungrateful. I really do appreciate your help. Have a great day. -shawn

Jon Jantz
05-28-2007, 05:49 PM
Hey Betacrash...

Sorry, was running around today and just got a chance to shoot this over to you. I'm hope it isn't too late.

Your new computer will speed things up a ton... one thing you can do too that will help quite a bit is adjust amount of memory Coreldraw uses... I have 2 gigs of ram on both my computers so I have my memory percentage set at 65%... this means Coreldraw is allowed to use 65% of the memory and the rest is used by whatever other program you have open...

It's easy to change... just go to Tools>Options>Workspace>Memory and bump the percentage up...

Anyway, here's the file with the change....

Later,
Jon

betacrash
05-28-2007, 07:33 PM
Jon, thanks for being so nice and doing that for me. I toughed it out early this morning and redrew it. I had some issues and I need some more help. One, the angel was very thin and doesnt look so good. Second, I cannot figure out for the life of me how to make the design take up the entire board. I layed it out on a 14.5 x 24 board in carvewright. The piece I used was 14.325 x 24. The machine said that it did not fit so I said scale to the width and then center on the width. When it carved it had a 2 inch gap at the top and bottom. what is the deal?

betacrash
05-29-2007, 11:36 AM
I found my own answer in another thread.

"You will need to put this project on a sled or add a couple of boards to the sides for the upper rollers to ride on.
When you upload the project it warns you about this. You have a choice to manual jig , let the machine autojig, or ignore.
Carving time 2 hrs. 21 minutes. If you choose autojig ,it reduces the size of the project to leave extra wood on the sides for the rollers.
If you ignore thers no way to hold the project down."