PDA

View Full Version : Anything But Wall Art!

New2U
05-21-2007, 10:35 PM
So is anyone using this machine for cabinetry or fine furniture or mouldings?

We're thinking of purchasing to enhance our kitchen cabinets and add to our house's trimwork, can this machine hold up to that?

benluz
05-21-2007, 10:51 PM
So is anyone using this machine for cabinetry or fine furniture or mouldings?

We're thinking of purchasing to enhance our kitchen cabinets and add to our house's trimwork, can this machine hold up to that?

yes, it can do all that ,and they are constantly upgrading the machine to make it more reliable...there are cabinet door carving on there main website you can look at.
Ben

New2U
05-22-2007, 12:16 AM
I was concerned that the warrantee is only for 200 hours and some are saying it takes 5 hours to do a small box.
Seems as if one would have to buy multiple machines to do one house.

Or is this one not going to fall apart in the 201st hour? :lol:

pastime106
05-22-2007, 06:28 AM
This machine is not going to replace a good skilled carpenter, but, it is going to really set the work of them (or you) apart from the crowd. People are making all kinds of things outside of signs and the list is growing. Some things to consider. 1) This thing is slow 2)There are some issues with repairs. (But,The tech support is second to none! I would say it would be great for cabinets and such, but probably a little slow for a stack of trim molding. For "one of a kind" projects it is hard to beat!

Gman_Ind
05-22-2007, 07:57 AM
This is a great low cost intro tool for us looking at cnc for production. It is expensive for a home hobbyist but really cheap for a 3d router. I plan on using it in cabinetry for architectural details. I.E. one woodworker I know has added a wheat pattern by hand into all of his furniture and decorative work, his sconces and fireplace mantle etc all have a wheat pattern carved into the work as his trademark or at least a unifying theme. I know a few chip carvers and they spend days on a carving, I honestly don't have the talent nor patience to become proficient at chip carving. One talented friend placed a 3d eagle carving in a flocked pocket under a glass top on a desk he made out of black walnut. I'd say that one detail alone made the desk unique and probably increased its value 50% or more.
I was discussing making inexpensive MDF faux raised panel doors with a good friend who runs a cabinet shop, and he flat out said if someone wants a cheap set of cabinets they can go to a big box chain store, but if they want a truly unique custom cabinet they come to us.

oldjoe
05-22-2007, 11:48 AM
I just finished the bottom portion of a computer desk for our home office. I used carvings on all the drawer fronts and door front,( I will be posting when the pictures come back) The carvings really give a unique touch to an already unique desk. I don't sell my work because I do no advertising or look for outside projects Honeydew keeps me plenty busy ;) , But as a lot of people state on this forum Although the machine is good at a lot of things it is especially good for carvings and so I use all my other tools for the routine things and the CC to carve. So if your going to enhance a door great but to make moldings not sure I would do that.
As far as holding up I don't think anyone can answer that number 2 is still running fine. All the bugs are being fixed and from what I understand tech help is great. But I don't run my machine for more that 1 1/2 hours at a time.
I hope I this makes some sence.

New2U
05-22-2007, 11:49 AM
This machine is not going to replace a good skilled carpenter, but, it is going to really set the work of them (or you) apart from the crowd. People are making all kinds of things outside of signs and the list is growing. Some things to consider. 1) This thing is slow 2)There are some issues with repairs. (But,The tech support is second to none! I would say it would be great for cabinets and such, but probably a little slow for a stack of trim molding. For "one of a kind" projects it is hard to beat!

What can a skilled carpenter do that this machine can't? (real question not backbiting) :lol:

Oh, the trimwork already exisits, was just thinking about adding overlays.

mtylerfl
05-22-2007, 12:09 PM
What can a skilled carpenter do that this machine can't? (real question not backbiting) :lol:

Hello,

The answer is probably "nothing". However, if you have an elaborate carving that takes the machine, say, 4 hrs. to do, then it would likely take much, much longer to do by hand for most of us (4 days?);) .

So, in a nutshell, the machine will save time overall, and (in my case) enable woodcarving projects to be accomplished that I simply haven't tried to developed the skills for to do "by hand".

I do have three projects in mind for something other than wall art...my fireplace facia and mantle, carved cabinet doors for an aquarium stand and a foyer table with discreet, decorative carved accents. (Actually, I have a "jillion" projects in mind, but those are probably the first ones to be done.)

Reset
05-22-2007, 12:33 PM
yeah, what they said :D

I too have plans for my fireplace surround, cabinet doors, and a couple pieces of furniture (not to mention all the plans my wife has for me to do with it!). The capabilites of this machine are still in it's infancy, limited only by our imagination. All in all, it is just a tool...and were're only begging to learn how to use it.

Tommy

New2U
05-23-2007, 01:27 AM
I really think I'm getting hooked on the idea of owning one of these! :D

Hmmmm a desk huh? I need to do one! and a mantle, need to create one of those too ;)

pastime106
05-23-2007, 07:36 AM
Outside of hang a door there is not much this machine can't do LOL. I guess what I was driving at was that if a skilled carpenter was going to build an entertainment center they would have the skill to make most all the pieces using a varity of machines. The put them all together. This machine can preform many task, just some would be so slow that it might be better left to a non-automated processes (As a skilled carpenter can do.) (Like ripping or routing edges). The thing that is fantastic about this machine is that it allows me to design projects and not be limited by my carving skills. I have carved many things by hand but will probably never master the skill to carve that this machine can. As the last couple of post point out this machine really enhances the value of just about antyhing it touches!

I really think I'm getting hooked on the idea of owning one of these!

I think you should!