PDA

View Full Version : Editing Existing Pattern

Dirtydan
05-21-2007, 12:27 AM
Is there a way to edit an existing pattern. A file that has been imported into CarveWright Designer? And where does Designer store all the patterns including the ones that came with the program and the ones you import?

Charles M
05-21-2007, 07:36 AM
Dirtydan,

As far as I know, you cannot edit patterns unless you have the scanner and its software. The patterns that are included and imported are stored in a proprietary format. The ones that you imported can be exported as ptn files but the ones in the library cannot.

Dirtydan
05-21-2007, 12:06 PM
Thanks Charles,

But how do you edit a .ptn? I don't have a single graphics package that will either open or import a .ptn file including Coreldraw X3. Any Idea's???

Charles M
05-21-2007, 12:09 PM
You can't edit the ptn files. They are a proprietary format also. I think that you can edit them a little in Designer if you have the scanning probe.

Dirtydan
05-21-2007, 01:04 PM
You can't edit the ptn files. They are a proprietary format also. I think that you can edit them a little in Designer if you have the scanning probe.

That really sucks... Stupid me didn't keep the .jpg and .png files I used to import into Designer. There has to be a way to do it. Guess I'll do a Google Search on .ptn file creating/editing...

Thanks again Charles

Dirtydan
05-21-2007, 01:18 PM
Well I did the Google search and found out a couple of things.

1. *.ptn files are CarveWright proprietary fiels. Guess Charles told me that, but I was to thick to pick that one up.... BG
2. Company's like Vector Art 3D have been Licensed by CarveWright to produce *.ptn files.

I don't know if anyone has asked CarveWright about adding a *.ptn editing feature to their next software revision, but I for one would sure like to see it.

mtylerfl
05-21-2007, 01:22 PM
Hello Dirtydan,

What you will find in a web search is that ".ptn" files are editable - - but NOT for graphic purposes!

The .ptn file format is one that has been used for many, many years for MIDI music applications (which has nothing to do with our purposes as far as editing our "graphic" .ptn versions for Designer). Pattern files (.ptn) for MIDI are used in music sequencers and such.

Thought I would let you know before you 'thought' you found a way to edit Designer .ptn files during any web-searching. Unfortunately, a direct way to edit our .ptn files does not exist yet, except via the CarveWright Pattern Editor software that comes included with the Scanning Probe.

Sorry, 'bout that.

Gman_Ind
05-21-2007, 01:58 PM
The probe software also allows us to edit imported images as well, So everyday editing of imported images should IMHO be able to be edited by anyone using the CW.

Greybeard
05-21-2007, 05:49 PM
Is there a way to edit an existing pattern. A file that has been imported into CarveWright Designer? And where does Designer store all the patterns including the ones that came with the program and the ones you import?

Open any project board, and click on the pattern icon to open the pattern library window.
Double click on the pattern you wish to edit, and you should get a two pane editing window.

John

Gman_Ind
05-21-2007, 06:06 PM
Open any project board, and click on the pattern icon to open the pattern library window.
Double click on the pattern you wish to edit, and you should get a two pane editing window.

John
IF you have they scanning probe (and registered and unlocked the software) that works.

kyeakel
05-21-2007, 06:30 PM
I also found that .ptn files were used in CADKEY as pattern files. I don't know if the carvewright file and the cadkey file are the same format or just the same file extension. I did start to disect either the ptn or the mpc file, the file format of which ever one I looked at had a combination of header info, PNG formatted icon, more header info, and a compressed image of the design in binary format (I think). I have some starter C code that attempts to decode the file. I have not had time to complete it yet. One of the files contains a database file (probably the mpc).

Kipp

Dirtydan
05-21-2007, 09:42 PM

John

Sorry John, that no workie... It sounds like I have to have the probe & probe software.... No Workie GI with normal Designer...

mtylerfl
05-21-2007, 10:14 PM
IF you have they scanning probe (and registered and unlocked the software) that works.

That is correct. Greybeard's method is, of course, the method all of us who own the scanning probe/editing software use.

(I think if Dirtydan owned the Scanning Probe, he wouldn't have been asking how to edit patterns!;) )

BearlyRich
05-22-2007, 11:44 AM
Thank you for this thread. I just received my probe and haven't seen any documentaion on the editor program at all? At least I now know how to access it...

Does anyone know if there's a way to get a pattern out of a project? I was hoping to clean up some projects like the us map that I don't have the pattern files for. I could find no way to do this?

ramlin
05-22-2007, 03:32 PM
Gunny,
I downloaded a program called Quick View Plus, which allows you
to open a .ptn file. I open a .ptn carving file, and the format of
the file is compiled (Not editable). From past experience as a
software engineer, it is probable the the program (CW) used to
create, or edit these files uses the .ptn extension, knowing that
this kind of file is not openable by the programs we use. i.e. if
you had a program that creates and opens files, you can give them
any extension you desire i.e. .moe. jim etc. As long as the file has
the extension you assigned it, it can be opened by your program,
and not able to be opened by another program. I have used this
method in the past.

mtylerfl
05-22-2007, 04:16 PM
Hello Ramlin,

Not sure I understood what you are trying to tell us.

Are you saying that if we use Quick View Plus to compile a .ptn file, then re-save it with an file extension of say, .png or .jpg, we would be able to edit the file in one of our photo editing programs??

...or, are you just telling us the method by which the .ptn files were originally created and restating the fact that they cannot be edited outside of the CW Pattern Editor?

ramlin
05-22-2007, 05:15 PM
Sorry if I confused the issue. Quick View Plus only allows you to
open a .ptn file. I was trying to see what kind of data a CW .ptn
file contains, and if it was editable. It is not. The other issue was
trying to explain how maybe CW's software creates these files.
.ptn files are normally associated with audio type files, and are
also used by PaperPort for storage of icons. So by using a .ptn
extension, they are not easily opened by other programs, unless
you have the same type of program that created them. Only
that program knows the internal format of the file. I would
suspect that even if we could open them in a readable format,
that trying to interpret the data and modifying it would be a
task in inself. Again sorry for the way I tried to explain it.

Dirtydan
05-22-2007, 05:29 PM
Hello Ramlin & Michael T,

I understand how files are created and the use of file extensions and while QuickViewPro may open a *.ptn / pattern file for viewing, you can not edit that file. But if I read their information correctly, you can cut data from that file and past it into another file, I assume in the *.jpg, *.gif or *.png file format. I'm not clear about weather or not you can paste into another *.ptn file or save as a *.ptn file.

The cuting from a *.ptn and pasting into a *.jpg or other graphics file format could be useful. All you would have to do is import your finished product into Designer. Right now you can't even copy form Designer and paste into another file.....well at least I haven't been able too...:confused:

Dirtydan
05-22-2007, 05:39 PM
Designer treats the *.ptn files almost the same as any other graphics format (.jpg, .gif, or .png) except I believe the .ptn is treated as a full blown 3D model, where as the other 2D files must be re-compiled into a 3D model so Designer can use them.

I could be wrong, have been B4... LOL

mtylerfl
05-22-2007, 09:13 PM
Thanks, Ramlin and Dirtydan, for looking into all that and for the clarification.