PDA

View Full Version : ACC Drive Failure

zeke
05-20-2007, 11:07 PM
The first time I attempted to use my Compucarve using the cut menu I received an error "ACC Drive Failure". Anyone know what is causing this?

Jeff_Birt
05-21-2007, 07:53 AM
Zeke, I would assume your talking about doing operations like, Rip, Joint, etc. It might be helpful to know exactly what you were trying to do and what the machine was doing at the time. Also, what firmware version are you running?

zeke
05-21-2007, 11:23 AM
Thanks for prompting me with the thought of a firmware problem. I did some research and found this thread http://www.carvewright.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1583&highlight=firmware. I have firmware version 1.115.

I followed the directions, the firmware seems to be updated on my memory card, however I did notice that there are no filenames in the flashcard dialog box in designer, not sure if that is an issue or if I should only see project files. I assume project related files only. I do see the installed version of 1.115 when I click on the Firmware button on the right hand side of the pop up dialog box.

After I load version 1.115 on my memory card then plug it into the Compucarve, the LCD display reads "Carveright Woodworking Machine" and it just stays there. The buttons don't work, I tried powering off, on, removing memory card, downloading firmware again, repeating, same results. I let the machine sit at that prompt for 10 minutes or so thinking maybe there was a behind the scenes firmware upload.

Not a good start for me. Seems like this would be a basic quality control function, see if the machine is in working order before boxing it up.

Jeff_Birt
05-21-2007, 11:35 AM
1.120 is the latest firmware, your Designer version should match. I would upgrade to 1.120 as this fixed a few known bugs. Still you have not been specific on what you were trying to do when the error popped up (Acc Drive),

Charles M
05-21-2007, 11:35 AM
Zeke,

Did you try unplugging the machine and plugging back in after a minute or so?

zeke
05-21-2007, 05:49 PM
I had intended to perform a basic cross cut routine, however as I mentioned I can't get beyond the first prompt so the cut/carve is really irrelevant at this point, none of the keys / menu works, just the basic message mentioned. I've powered it on and off and unplugging several times.

I upgraded to 1.20, updated my memory card with that version of the firmware, plugged the card into the Compucarve, powered up and it still sits there and stares at me with that basic message "Carveright Woodworking Machine". Frustration is starting to set in, can't get past step 1. Why someone couldn't have tested the machine to see if it worked before they boxed it up!!!

I tried calling Carvewright I get a voice mail. No response from my email to them.

pkunk
05-21-2007, 06:35 PM
Ok, one other thing you might try. Load a project on the card. Any project, just grab one from the patterns. Maybe the machine needs that. first.

zeke
05-21-2007, 07:50 PM
Pkunk, I appreciate your support. That was worth a try but didn't change the prompt on the machine. I uploaded a project I found on this forum. I verified it was on the memory card, then plugged it into the machine, powered up and same result. :confused: .

My frustration deepens. I keep going back to the quality control thing, just a basic start on the machine to make sure it worked would not have me in this predicament! Geez!

Jeff_Birt
05-21-2007, 07:53 PM
It may well be the card, not the machine. Time to give CW a call, keep calling until you get a live body.

liquidguitars
05-21-2007, 09:06 PM
however I did notice that there are no filenames in the flashcard dialog box in designer,

Sounds like the flash card is bad... try a low level format under the "Flash Manager menue, and then flash the card to 1.120, copy a smaller project to card and ver the files.

LG

zeke
05-21-2007, 09:45 PM
I formatted the memory card, there were no options for a low level format, only one option "Erase and Format". I then installed firmware version 1.120 and tried the card again unsuccessfully. A note, after the suggestion from pkunk to put a project on the card, the project did appear on the card but did not get me past the static prompt "Carvewright Woodworking Machine".

I hope CW doesn't make it any more painful than it already is. I can tell they are not going to be easy to get a hold of, which makes matters even worse... CW is starting to feel like a third world country product and support!

I just received my probe, more money out of pocket can't use that either........... ain't life great........

Jeff_Birt
05-21-2007, 09:49 PM
I think if you'll read recent posts you'll find that their support and service is generally outstanding. I'm sure they will get you fixed up.

zeke
05-22-2007, 11:38 AM
Support/company...... you decide.

Before I even get started
- 1st no testing on the box, first time I power it up it doesn't work.
- Shipped with wrong firmware.
- Shipped with bad part (memory card)

After discovering the root cause (potentially anyway, won't really know until we try another card)
- They are going to ship me a memory card. ETA unknown, they have 2000 on back order. Who knows, could be months before I get the card and oh yeah 4-5 days shipping on top of that. No offer to take care of me like ship overnight because of my bad experience and I did ask and the answer was I could pay for overnight, customer service at it's best here!

How much do they care about their customer, they order 2000 cards, this is going to make the customers wait longer. It takes much longer to make 2000 cards versus say increments of 500. Customer Service says they go as fast as they get them, are there allot of defective cards out there or are people buying more than one. If everything is stored on a computer, why buy more cards?

If only the engineers who designed this thing was in charge of customer service and operations, things might go a bit smoother. One good experience I can report on is unlike yesterday at least I got someone on the phone today.

I could swallow problems after using the machine a little better than not even getting out of the starting gate. While I'm committed to this because I already have the expense, built a workbench for it, bought the probe, etc., I wouldn't recommend this machine to anyone and my next machine will be a CNC router. Lessons learned the hard way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BearlyRich
05-22-2007, 01:25 PM
I just got my second card today. Yes, people order more than one, especially if they have the probe. One for outgoing projects and one for incoming scans. Last week Carvewright had cards. Things do sell out...

Now, if they did order increments of 500 cards (where did you get your numbers?), the individual price would be much, MUCH higher. There are production limits as to how many can be made for certain amounts of money. 2000 of anything these days is a small amount.

I really do understand your frustrations. Mine has the stuck chuck problem and may have a cut motor problem. But it does work. I'm sorry yours doesn't. But, since you're talking "Compucarve", you also have 90 days (I believe) to simply return it to Sears for either an exchange or full refund. can't get much better than that!

And believe me, the days of individually testing any single production unit of anything are long gone. It just doesn't pay...

If it were me, I'd be talking to Sears for a replacement...