PDA

View Full Version : Took the plunge

s2rider
05-18-2007, 09:46 PM
Ordered mine from Sears tonight. The forums are a little bit scary to read but I make my living diagnosing and repairing motorcycles so I ain't skeeeered.

Maybe by next weekend I'll be on my way to wood carving bliss.

Wish me luck and hope I fill my shoes up with chips and sawdust.

Randell
:cool:

oldjoe
05-18-2007, 10:26 PM
Congrats on the purchase on your machine I am sure you won't be disappointed. I know I was really nervous about purchasing mine and disappointed when my first machine pooped out after only about 10 hours. But the new one is running like a champ so far at least, it is at about 60+ hours. Yes it is true I have had my moments with it if you have read some of my recent posts. But so far all minor and this is a great place for help lots of smart people here.
So kick back relax and let the saw dust fly

Kenm810
05-18-2007, 10:26 PM
Randell,

Of course We all wish you nothing but good luck,
Plus a big welcome to this chippers Forum

s2rider
05-18-2007, 10:43 PM
Thanks guys. Just printed off the manual...I'm off to do some reading.

I sure would welcome any of those "you need to do this right out of the box" type tips. You know...lube this, check that, make sure this is just so kind of things.

Randell

Jon Jantz
05-19-2007, 12:26 AM
Welcome, S2Rider...

You are exactly the kind of person who will LOVE this machine... since you will understand the value of babying a machine.

I'm having a few problems with mine, but I'm convinced at least half the bad things you hear people complaining about in these forums are in fact USER error. I know a large percentage of my problems have been...

I think some have expected it to be as easy to operate as an ink jet printer and that you can pretty much put what you want in it and it should work. IT AIN'T SO.... BUT if you have a little patience and climb the short learning curve... I promise.. you will really enjoy this little carver.

Take your time, read through this forum... there is a wealth of information here. Use the search to research different topics. If you have a question..... just ask in here. You'll get a variety of answers among which there may be a right one.

Again, welcome, and don't forget to post pictures of the things you carve!

s2rider
05-19-2007, 07:50 PM
First let me say, I canceled my on-line order :) but read on...this gets good.

After work today I stopped by the local sears store I was to have the unit shipped to to look for bit adapters. (I did not realize the bits I ordered with the machine came with adapters)
While snooping around the store I spotted a Compu-Carve setting under a table saw I've been watching. I asked the collage kid if this unit was OK and or available to fill my order. CK (collage kid) stated that the one I was looking at was a return that had a defect and they kept for a display model...but that the one down the isle was returned by a guy that "got laid off" right after he bought it and returned it. (Not sure I believe this story...but I'll go with it)

Together we opened it up and checked, sure enough, everything was still sealed in the plastic. I asked if he could cancel my on-line order and or fill my order with this unit at the same price. He replied "I can do better than that...I can sell it to you for $1519.00". Not wanting to embarrass the kid, did NOT give him the big wet sloppy kiss and said "load it up kid".

In my garage right now sits my new CC. I may call Guinness and record the fasted acquisition of a CC on record. :)

That's my story, and I'm stickin to it!!

Randell
Don't bother me, I'm turning wood into saw dust!

woody-ct
05-19-2007, 08:59 PM
That's the same price I paid when I ordered on line about 6 weeks ago. Didn't question the price, just accepted it and double checked my Sears charge when it came in. Near as I can figure they had a 10% sale and 10% more for Craftsman club members. Felt it was better not to question their judgement. Of course I spent half the savings buying more bits and adapters, but I still came out ahead.

woody-ct

Reset
05-19-2007, 09:21 PM
Congrats Randell!

...but you haven't really taken the plunge until that bit hits the wood! :D

Tommy

Kurtsara
05-19-2007, 09:52 PM
Have fun with it, I am still amazed at what it does

s2rider
05-19-2007, 10:33 PM
The addiction has begun. My first project on kinda scrap wood is now underway.

Randell