PDA

View Full Version : CarveWright for thought!

RC Woodworks
05-16-2007, 05:49 PM
I am typing this as I am attending a ShopBot training event. I really appreciate the CC software and the machine. I have always believed the concept of the CC is so fantastic! The inventor Chris Love is a genius and I believe he could not forsee all the problems we have all had.

But as we all work through it we should all feel blessed we have a machine that can do what it can do! I know when I get my ShopBot I will be able to do all the CC can do. Plus faster, but I own a sign shop and need a faster unit. Still I use my CC at the fairs I attend.

What I am trying to say the more I have learned about the ShopBot and the extra cost for the software.The CC is a great deal!!! So to those who are complaining about the $500.00 complete software upgrade........ STOP IT!!! :) Try the extras for a vac hold down for $7000.00. Then $3000.00 for basic upgrade and $5000.00 plus for the pro series. Then there is many more software upgrades, $250 verses $50.00 for centerline fonts. It goes on and on!.

The CompuCarve is a great deal for hobbyist and serious woodworkers. I am glad I bought one, again not happy with the bumpy road it has taken. I feel it will smooth out, with the brains at CW and the brains in this forum. This machine will be just fine.

We need to remember it will only do what you tell it to do. This includes our mistakes!!! Also this is a compact unit and for it's size it carves fairly quickly.

I look forward to my Shopbot, plus from this training I appreciate my CC!!! I am a blessed man!!!

Rick

RC Woodworks
05-17-2007, 12:27 AM
Wow, the training was too broad and quickly taught. Tomorrow is more hands on training. Plus Friday my wife gets to make a clock with a SB.

Maybe see will be hooked and I will let her take over the CC!!!!

Rick

Dirtydan
05-17-2007, 01:34 AM
RC,

I don't know how big your business is, but I was wondering why you didn't go with something like the Epilog Laser. Sure it has a big price tag, but if fast, high quality out-put is your goal, that seems like the toy of choice. The biggest advantage being next to nothing clean-up...

I know if I wasn't just doing this for fun, and gifts for family and friends, I'd be making some calls to Epilog.

So far I like my CC or CW... (knock on wood):D I think I've licked the QRC problem pretty much, funny what a little high-pressure air and some 3 in 1 oil can do.

RC Woodworks
05-17-2007, 10:46 AM
Gunny, I thought about it but with the Shopbot you can do almost the same thing. My Uncle who taught me the business told me the business next to him had one. They make trophys, office name plates etc. Anyway he said, with his CNC machine he could do just about everything the Epilog could do.

And the things he couldn't he did have much orders for it anyhow. Trust me the SB isn't cheap! So far I am in it over $10,000 and I have a feeling it is going to be more before it is through!!! I have paid this and I am still waiting for the machine!

Plus I wanted a bigger CNC type machine for furniture work. Thanks for the reply Gunny and for your service to our country!

I appreciate everyone who has served our country. I don't take my freedom for granted. Thank you again.

Rick

benluz
05-17-2007, 12:08 PM
Gunny, I thought about it but with the Shopbot you can do almost the same thing. My Uncle who taught me the business told me the business next to him had one. They make trophys, office name plates etc. Anyway he said, with his CNC machine he could do just about everything the Epilog could do.

And the things he couldn't he did have much orders for it anyhow. Trust me the SB isn't cheap! So far I am in it over $10,000 and I have a feeling it is going to be more before it is through!!! I have paid this and I am still waiting for the machine!

Plus I wanted a bigger CNC type machine for furniture work. Thanks for the reply Gunny and for your service to our country!

I appreciate everyone who has served our country. I don't take my freedom for granted. Thank you again.

Rick

Keep on buying Rick....software,bits,toolchanger ...I'm at 43K and counting on mine.
Ben

Bill
05-17-2007, 08:59 PM
hello Rick,
The training event your at is that the 3 day event at SB?

Yes ArtCAM pro 9.0 ... $7,500.00 :rolleyes:

RC Woodworks
05-17-2007, 11:25 PM
hello Rick,
The training event your at is that the 3 day event at SB?

Yes ArtCAM pro 9.0 ... $7,500.00 :rolleyes:

Bill, kind of last Wednesday they rolled it all in one day and today and tomorrow they are covering the same stuff as the free training day.

Yes Artcam pro too much, that is why I am buying Vector Pro and Photo pro. I met James Booth today and as he explained Vector Pro is about the same as Artcam. Except for not being able to create 3D patterns.

One more day!

Rick

Dirtydan
05-18-2007, 12:10 PM
WOW...Guy's...

You sure are making the Epilog Laser System sound reasonable now. I've always looked at things this way...

1. If I need more than 15-30 minutes of training to use something, I don't need it.
2. If I have to pay extra for training or assistance, I don't need it.
3. If the instruction manual has more than 20 pages in it, I don't need it.
4. If it's not a turn-key system, I don't need it.

As for the CarveWright/CompuCarve system, even with the problems, it appears to be the best bang for your buck. The only exception might be their new software update. All I can say is that it had better be able to wash and wax my car too. Well, it had better be able to blow the doors of the current Designer Software package that was basically FREE. In fact it was the packaged software that really sold me on the CarveWright/CompuCarve System.

Sorry, I got a little off subject...

edp
05-18-2007, 12:35 PM
For embellishing furniture and cabinetry this is the machine to have. The software (no xtra charge!!!) is intuitive and simple to use. The machine, if used properly is adequate to my needs and considerably less than the alternatives. I am convinced that it is female by the way. It never hesitates to let me know if it is the slightest bit unhappy about something.

benluz
05-18-2007, 12:37 PM
WOW...Guy's...

You sure are making the Epilog Laser System sound reasonable now. I've always looked at things this way...

1. If I need more than 15-30 minutes of training to use something, I don't need it.
2. If I have to pay extra for training or assistance, I don't need it.
3. If the instruction manual has more than 20 pages in it, I don't need it.
4. If it's not a turn-key system, I don't need it.

As for the CarveWright/CompuCarve system, even with the problems, it appears to be the best bang for your buck. The only exception might be their new software update. All I can say is that it had better be able to wash and wax my car too. Well, it had better be able to blow the doors of the current Designer Software package that was basically FREE. In fact it was the packaged software that really sold me on the CarveWright/CompuCarve System.

Sorry, I got a little off subject...

Well...sometimes we spend a little more than we should tool changer with 7.5 hp motor and columbo spindle is 13K upgrade and the software I got is mainly for commercial cabinet work although it will do anything else I need to v-carve any type of lettering or engraving with the software I purchase.It just depends what you what you want it to do and how fast you want to determines to how much money your going to spend.The cool thing is with this motor...it's quiet not like a screaming router motor.and having the ability to go over and put back a tool and grab another.
Ben

Dirtydan
05-18-2007, 01:21 PM
It just depends what you what you want it to do and how fast you want to determines to how much money your going to spend.

Ben

I understand that... I assumed you had a pretty good business going for yourself. I'd love to be able to do all the things the ShopBot and Epilog Laser can do, but I don't have the need... Right now I'm just playing around and enjoying all the things I've been able to do so far. Right now I'm becoming Wood Poor...LOL...

How's the project clean-up (not counting light sanding and stain/finishing) with the ShopBot? Does it handle 3D projects better than the CW? (I guess that all depends on the software you use.)

benluz
05-18-2007, 04:01 PM
I understand that... I assumed you had a pretty good business going for yourself. I'd love to be able to do all the things the ShopBot and Epilog Laser can do, but I don't have the need... Right now I'm just playing around and enjoying all the things I've been able to do so far. Right now I'm becoming Wood Poor...LOL...

How's the project clean-up (not counting light sanding and stain/finishing) with the ShopBot? Does it handle 3D projects better than the CW? (I guess that all depends on the software you use.)

I got the ShopSabre it's more of an industrial machine than shopbot, main difference is the motors ,ballscrews for the moving parts and the servos are ac digital.Carving clean etc so on would be close to the same I would think heavy cuts in hard wood would be a little cleaner,(I have 2 weeks to go before it comes)Oh...make no mistake the cw is no slouch when it comes to quality,they just have a couple improvements to make on the z-motor,board sensor to increase reliability.The CW is what made me think about going all out on the cnc.But whether you buy a shopbot,sabre or some other or cw they all do good work.with the more expensive machines will work faster and should hold up better long term,but their all good.But for the money and software their is nothing out there right now that will touch the carvewright, I think the smallest tabletop cnc is about 5,000.

benluz
05-18-2007, 04:03 PM
Oh... my website back open soon, where I sell all of my figured hardwoods and regular species as well.I'll post it when it's ready.
Ben

jkmstevens
02-17-2008, 04:55 PM
Rick

I just got my CW week ago - do lot of workwork for fun dovetails and things by hand - but am techie and knew all this was possible at low cost - I am impressed by CW and even software - I m hooked -- lots of things to complain about but have been doing very neat things in cherry and frames with embeded dovetails etc - damn thing is good

I am ready to go to soemthing that can change bits and is faster -- Looked at

Sabre - looks like about $15K for small unit that has bit change
EZ Router - will look at Shopbot

Question lot of these were designed for Kitchen cabnet guys - signs and furnature

Does Sabre Shopbot do everything CW does just faster more accurately etc. Images can be carved ? Any big deal well known software like Auto Cad to drive these other units for 3D carving or is it all proparitary with unit ? You say they are all good ? Is one closer to CW over others ?

Starting to narrow down whats what before I spend any money

Thanks for help

John

Cmdr.Rav
02-17-2008, 05:05 PM
John, I don't think you will get an answer from RC Woodworks he seems to be banned!

jkmstevens
02-17-2008, 06:03 PM
Geez - sure Hope CW does not see others professional CNC's as compeition -- CW is great stepping stone and does many things useful - but professional machines are required if you plan to do any volume carving to make $ - I do not think any one could make a living on CW - it is great and will continue to support it but is for low volume and fun - I have had no major problems and see it is a breakthrough cost/perfromance CNC router ....

However I have answered my own question - here is Software and list of all others

http://www.vectorart3d.com/index.cfm/Machinist-Supported.htm

My day job -- I run a tech company and we always give our customers competition phone numbers and material - fact is above is not at all CW competitive -- would be sad if CW views it that way ..

I continue to be blown away by the value CW has delivered - am now ready to spend $15-$25K to get high speed production unit - will continue to use CW as well - think they have a great market opportunity .. can hire me as a consultent and will tell them how to double their revs over night...

Thanks John

dandrea
02-17-2008, 11:35 PM
Just noticed in the first post a mention about a $500 software upgrade. Is this a reference to CW or another machine? If CW, can some one give me the low down?

Thanks,

Dan