PDA

View Full Version : Stuck Flexshaft

ljdm
05-13-2007, 08:10 AM
Anybody have a problem removing flexshaft to lube it? Manual says to pull on it, not budging. At end of shaft housing, metal piece that goes into cutting head doesn't even turn - is this normal? Tried to use a screwdriver between edge of metal piece and head, to pry it, nothing. Anybody take the two phillips screws out that hold the top of the cutter off, and open the cover of the head? Maybe that might help me to unstick the cable housing?

rjustice
05-13-2007, 08:19 AM
ljdm,

If you look carefully there is a black clip that has a small ball bearing partially sticking out. This ball is spring loaded into a groove that runs around the shaft. The black clip is what applies the spring pressure to the ball. If you feel around the back side of the clip, you will find that it doesnt go all the way around. If you carefully spread the clip, pulling it towards the ball bearing, it will release it from the groove around the shaft and it will pull out pretty easily. You dont want to pull it so far that the ball falls out (and if it does and you loose it a BB fits perfectly) as posted somewhere else in the forum...

Hope this helps...

Ron

ljdm
05-13-2007, 08:30 AM
Nope....didn't work. That was the first thing I tried. It looks like the end of the shaft housing is VERY stuck in there. Wonder if heat caused that. That's why I wanted to remove it, to lube it. I can always try and remove it from the motor end to lube it, but the housing end being stuck worries me. I don't really want to take the top of the cutter off - don't know what I'll find in ther. Don't know if it just engages into gears, or what. Damn....on a Sunday, of course.

ljdm
05-13-2007, 09:25 AM
Got it! Re-read directions, not all directions tell you, but TWIST, then pull. Still pretty tight, thought I was going to go backwards on my A#*, but, it's out. Key thing was twisting it, then pullling.