PDA

View Full Version : Probe/ Z Axis Stall,error 246

Donboy
05-12-2007, 03:58 PM
I got my machine in Jan. 2007, I have been one of the lucky ones with only minor (user error) problems. The machine carves with no problems, has since the start...The probe has also worked until a couple of days ago. Now when I try to scan even small items (40 sq.") less than 1/2 " high, it starts to scan normally then by the time it has scanned 30% (some times as high as 65% and low as 20%, it stops. The message is always the same: Z Axis Stall, Error 246, PressStop. However I can still carve items with no problems...just can't use the probe. I have been using .115 and haven't up graded to .120 because 115 has worked without problems...until now anyway. Calling CR first thing Monday, but in the mean time if some one has any ideas........

pkunk
05-12-2007, 06:22 PM
I dunno if it'll help, but try pulling your flex shaft out of the hat before you scan.

Donboy
05-12-2007, 07:25 PM
Removing the flex shaft was one of the first things I tried. I kind of wonder if maybe there could be a problem with the contacts inside the probe. It appears to be able to be pushed in a triangle axis motion without binding, also the probe can be pushed back inside a short distance and spring back to center. I really don't know what is normal, but I'd guess it appears normal.
We do have to keep in mind the machine still works otherwise.

benluz
05-13-2007, 10:13 AM
I got my machine in Jan. 2007, I have been one of the lucky ones with only minor (user error) problems. The machine carves with no problems, has since the start...The probe has also worked until a couple of days ago. Now when I try to scan even small items (40 sq.") less than 1/2 " high, it starts to scan normally then by the time it has scanned 30% (some times as high as 65% and low as 20%, it stops. The message is always the same: Z Axis Stall, Error 246, PressStop. However I can still carve items with no problems...just can't use the probe. I have been using .115 and haven't up graded to .120 because 115 has worked without problems...until now anyway. Calling CR first thing Monday, but in the mean time if some one has any ideas........

I think they made changes to the scanning portion as well in version 1.120.
You should upgrade and see if that takes care of it.
Ben

Donboy
05-13-2007, 04:54 PM
I think they made changes to the scanning portion as well in version 1.120.
You should upgrade and see if that takes care of it.
Ben

How do I save a copy of 1.115 just in case it makes matters worse. Keep in mind the machine still works great as a carver & I have made several scans in the past that worked just fine. But I would like to have it scan again. Could the problem be dirty contacts inside the scanner? If this were the case has any one ever done it?

benluz
05-13-2007, 05:14 PM
How do I save a copy of 1.115 just in case it makes matters worse. Keep in mind the machine still works great as a carver & I have made several scans in the past that worked just fine. But I would like to have it scan again. Could the problem be dirty contacts inside the scanner? If this were the case has any one ever done it?

I not sure there is, but there is a copy on the forum,do a search and you should find it.
Ben

JOHNB
05-13-2007, 09:54 PM

HI DONBOY; I THINK IT WAS TED G. THAT TOOK HIS PROBE APART AND CLEANED THE CONTACTS INSIDE. THIS POST MAY HAVE BEEN ON ALLCW SITE. HE MADE IT SOUND SIMPLE, REMOVE 3 SCREWS AND CLEAN CONTACTS. CHECK IT OUT-HOPE IT HELPS. I DONT HAVE A PROBE SO DONT KNOW FOR SURE....

Gman_Ind
05-13-2007, 10:33 PM
I cleaned my probe out. it is a simple process. the probe simply is a normally closed switch (it passes current) when the probe tip is moves one of the three contacts break the circuit. if the machine recognizes the probe then the probe is working.
I was working with mine and the shaft caused a torque that wrapped the sensor wire too much so I pulled the cable and it seems to move better.

edzbaker
05-15-2007, 08:15 PM
If you feel a need to change back to 1.115 you can download it here http://www.carvewright.com/downloads/cw_fw_1_115.exe

Then simply Keep the 1.120 DESIGNER, and re-flash the firmware back to 1.115.

It might help to keep in mind "Firmware" is the software that runs the machine, You never see it.
"Designer" is the software you use to make patterns.
You can use Designer 1.120 and ANY firmware you choose. But, each time you upload a PTN or MPC to the card, it will ask if you want to update, if your using an older firmware.

Donboy
05-16-2007, 10:04 AM
Thanks for the info. Still haven't been able to touch base with CW, if and when I do, I'll post the fix if there if one. The 1.120 didn't fix my scanner, but my machine still carves with the 1.120 version. However the z truck homes a bit slow and the bit finder used to snap the flap out real good, now it lets the bit go down once, the z truck starts to jump away, then goes back and the bit goes down for a second time. I think I liked the look of things better when the Z truck held and the bit dipped twice. Nice and smooth. It just looks like a new problem trying to surface, think I liked the 1.115 version better. Keeping in mind the machine DID (for quite some time) work great for both the scanner and carving.

Donboy