PDA

View Full Version : A Challenge

wunderkind
05-12-2007, 09:14 AM
I dont know if there are too many people who have heard of M.C. Escher but he was a optical illusion artist that is now dead but his art lives on. I'm going to try to carve Drawing Hands but I some of his other work is just as impressive. If you do, post it here. There is no better compliment to the artist then to copy their work. Not to be abused thou. Give credit to M.C. Escher.

BobHill
05-12-2007, 09:39 AM
Escher is great. I don't see how you could do a carving of most of his real illusions due to the 2D faux-opticals of 3D items, but if you can do a Drawing Hands with some depth, I'd sure love to see (and have the MPC file) that one. Wow, what a great thing to carve. I have some of his work in photo form (not actual prints) and will have to take a look at what might be done with them. Good idea, Wunderkind.

Bob

Greybeard
05-12-2007, 12:19 PM
That's seriously good.
Looking forward to the results.
John

meat
05-12-2007, 07:36 PM
I don't imagine it would be too terribly difficult to do on some of his pieces.

Much of his work was done as woodcuts, engravings or lithotint - all of which can probably be reproduced like the original. As far as things like Drawing Hands, Waterfall or Relativity goes, though ... that would be pretty hard to do in 3D accurately.

Then again, lots of his Moorish-inspired stuff - including probably all of his tessellation bits - are easily done on the CW.

I'm working on Stations of the Cross for a local church - and they've had me look into reproducing some stonework-looking reliefs on the machine. It can be done, but it's time consuming.

Your pal,
Meat.