PDA

View Full Version : Why so much run time different?

DDV
05-12-2007, 12:51 AM
Needed a 2D Celtic knot border for a picture frame. Spent about 6 hrs. drawing it in my drafting program and imported it into Designer. Started to flash it to the card and the run time was 1 hr. 20min.. For some reason I got the idea and reproduced it in Designer using it's drawing tools, Being I used the mirror function it took only about 2 hrs. The results is that the run time now is 16 min. 30 sec.. Anybody got any ideas why so much run time different. Also has anybody else tried this for simple 2D designs?
DDV

bladesmith
05-12-2007, 02:13 PM
DDV,

Not certain how you exported the drawing from your drafting program and
brought it into designer, but if as an image, jpeg, png, etc, it is being carved as
a RASTER image, cross the board moving up and down for each scan line ...
repeat until finished. If you used the line, curve, arc, etc in designer, it will now be carved using VECTOR ... lower bit into board, move board around to follow
drawing, raise bit, repeat until done. Much faster, as it doesn't have to cover the entire area of the drawing, just the actual cuts.

Hope that helps explain it.

Cheers,

Bladesmith

bladesmith
05-12-2007, 02:18 PM
DDV,

mmmm didn't answer the whole question sorry. I've used the vector design
tools in designer to replicate my signet, which is an inerwoven celtic knot of 7 loops, with the Chaos symbol in the center. Really difficult to get it to come out clean using an image and raster carving, but VERY clean and crisp when carved with the VECTOR tools. Re-created it using splines and lines. Depending on size, it takes a small fraction of the time to carve now, and looks much cleaner. It is
especially noticeable when getting small, as the point of a V Bit, can cut somewhat finer than the 1/16 carving bit.

Again, hope that helps.

Bladesmith

DDV
05-12-2007, 05:41 PM
DDV,

Not certain how you exported the drawing from your drafting program and
brought it into designer, but if as an image, jpeg, png, etc, it is being carved as
a RASTER image, cross the board moving up and down for each scan line ...
repeat until finished. If you used the line, curve, arc, etc in designer, it will now be carved using VECTOR ... lower bit into board, move board around to follow
drawing, raise bit, repeat until done. Much faster, as it doesn't have to cover the entire area of the drawing, just the actual cuts.

Hope that helps explain it.

Cheers,

Bladesmith

It was a jpeg image. That answers the question. I don't remember seeing anything like this posted before. Make one wonder how many people are using the Raster mode when Vector would run in a third of the time.
Thanks
DDV

Semper Fi
05-13-2007, 05:53 AM
Just be careful if you're carving cherry. I ruined a nice piece with the vector carving out a font........ burned the cherry pretty bad and ruined the small details. Raster carved a new piece very well with no burning.

Ernie

DDV
05-13-2007, 07:52 AM
Just be careful if you're carving cherry. I ruined a nice piece with the vector carving out a font........ burned the cherry pretty bad and ruined the small details. Raster carved a new piece very well with no burning.

Ernie

Details, details. That the learning curve isn't it. For every up there is a down.
I guess that the reason for this forum.
Thanks Ernie
DDV

BobHill
05-13-2007, 08:26 AM
One of these days, when Designer will allow direct import of a CDR vector file into it, all will be well for lessening the carve time of complex drawings. At least for me, anyway. Designing in Designer's vector is a lot more time consuming than doing the same thing in CorelDraw or Xara, that's for sure. and Carving in vector is far far less time consuming than raster.

Bob