PDA

View Full Version : Compucarve and Sears

fstrumpf
05-11-2007, 09:08 AM
I have been following this forum for some time now. I'm convinced that this little three axis cnc would be a welcome addition to my shop.

It appears to me that the problems are being resolved and the positive feedback is now carrying some weight.

I went to Sears to purchase a unit and, during the initial conversation, some questions came up.

1. There is no extended warranty
2. They, Sears, do the repairs
3. And the only reported problems have come from those who try to use the router in a "Commercial Enviroment"

So I regrouped and just want to hear from you guys that it ain't so.

I apologize if this rehashes questions answered earlier, I just want some definitive feedback so I can make a purchaising decision.

I'm an experienced Woodworker, Computer Technicin with over 20 years experience in Machine Tool and CNC.

I thank you in advance for your feedback.

Fred

Charles M
05-11-2007, 09:25 AM
2. They, Sears, do the repairs
3. And the only reported problems have come from those who try to use the router in a "Commercial Enviroment"

Fred

Fred,

Welcome to the group. Here's the answers to your questions to the best of my knowledge:

1. There are mixed reports on this but I believe the consensus is that it is true.

2. As far as I know this is false. CarveWright does the repairs if needed. Sears will eventually do them but they are not trained at this time.

3. False. Many "problems" that have been reported are due to user error. Some that have been mentioned on this forum are actual defects in parts of the machine that required repair and some others have been remedied by firmware updates. Commercial or not doesn't seem to be relevant to who has the problem.

HandTurnedMaple
05-11-2007, 09:38 AM
The last I knew the machine can't tell the difference between hobby and commercial usage. About the real difference between the two is how often you use the machine and for how long per use (cutting multiple projects on a single piece of wood like I tended to do). But it is warrantied for 200 hours (or one year), regardless if it takes 1 month to reach that time or 6 months.

But the number of new people with severe complaints seems to have slowed down measurably, and that is a good thing.

Reset
05-11-2007, 11:25 AM
I aquired my machine end of February, and have not experienced any major problems. The few minor ones I was able to fix without having to call CW.

But the number of new people with severe complaints seems to have slowed down measurably, and that is a good thing.
I've noticed this also ;)

If you go into a different Sears store, you'll probably get three different answers from the ones you got. The most accurate answers will come from here;)

I'm an experienced Woodworker, Computer Technicin with over 20 years experience in Machine Tool and CNC.
Go buy one!

Tommy

Julie Coffey
05-11-2007, 11:49 AM
Hi Fred, in answer to your questions in order.

True there is not one offered through Sears some folks purchased what 'on the surface' appears to be one but as of yet to the best of my knowledge none of those individuals have posted a 'successful' follow through using it.

2. They, Sears, do the repairs- that is incorrect, to date only LHR does the repairs.

This is also incorrect- several here have used them as accentuations for a commercial setting, others have looked into it. For me I'm just a hobbiest and honest to God woodcarver. I just felt that the marriage of wooddust and computer graphics was too much not to take get involved with.

I have only 6+ hrs on my machine that has been doted on and through no fault of my own the board sensor went out. Ok- its getting replaced and I'm very happy so far with the customer service I've gotten.

Footnote- Today I'm replacing a hd on my daughters Presario laptop she's had for only 2 months, it went out too. Things happen.

J

Hawg_man
05-11-2007, 01:34 PM
Fred
Just thought I'd add my 2 cents.........I too have over 35 years in NC/CNC machining and for the price of this machine and what it can do you can't beat it. I bought mine for just plain hobby work but have sold quite a few pieces to others who love it's results. I have over 80 hours on mine and about 30 projects............great machine for the money if used as intended.

Bob

fstrumpf
05-11-2007, 02:51 PM
Thanks for the replys

So far positive.

I'l give it a couple of days then revisit Sears.

My understanding is that is the only way to get one as CW has none in stock!

Fred

benluz
05-11-2007, 03:38 PM
Fred ,if you are smart as many of the people here are and you can use tools and do you own work if needed .You will love this machine !You can't touch what this will do for 8 k or more.I'm hooked on cnc I bought a full size model with tool changer ,4th axis,autocabinets and endroute wood plus ,and drawercad.You can layout a full job of drawer parts and dovetail them ready to go.I also have many of my figured wood customers want we to rout their guitar bodies and will probable get into that once I master the cabinet end.
Ben

benluz
05-11-2007, 03:40 PM
Fred ,if you are smart as many of the people here are and you can use tools and do you own work if needed .You will love this machine !You can't touch what this will do for 8 k or more.I'm hooked on cnc I bought a full size model with tool changer ,4th axis,autocabinets and endroute wood plus ,and drawercad.You can layout a full job of drawer parts and dovetail them ready to go.I also have many of my figured wood customers want we to rout their guitar bodies and will probable get into that once I master the cabinet end.
Ben

Carvewright is suppose to start selling them this month...at least that is what I was told.
Ben

Azbear
05-11-2007, 06:11 PM
fstrumpf

Wrong, wrong, and wrong.

I bought my machine from Sears, spoke with the Sears warranty dept and paid about $50.00 for a 5 year warranty.

My machine was sent back to LHR for repair without contacting Sears, and infact, as of 5 mintues ago, my e-mail from them stated a shipping number back to me.

I do infact have problems, lot of them are do to inexperience on my side. Some are on the CW side. I held off for 3 months watching the forum for clues, then went to Sears web site and made one mine.

Overall, what my customers, coworkers, and friends see the final result...well, heck yes, I'd do it again.

thelittleboxshop
05-11-2007, 08:36 PM
fstrumpf

Wrong, wrong, and wrong.

I bought my machine from Sears, spoke with the Sears warranty dept and paid about $50.00 for a 5 year warranty.

My machine was sent back to LHR for repair without contacting Sears, and infact, as of 5 mintues ago, my e-mail from them stated a shipping number back to me.

I do infact have problems, lot of them are do to inexperience on my side. Some are on the CW side. I held off for 3 months watching the forum for clues, then went to Sears web site and made one mine.

Overall, what my customers, coworkers, and friends see the final result...well, heck yes, I'd do it again.

You are saying that sears sold you a warranty and LHR honored that warranty?

Sarge
05-11-2007, 09:43 PM

The extended warranty was apparently sold "carte blanche" for all Craftsman power tools. SEARS then backed out of the warranty for the CC only. LHR has apparently took the proverbial bull by the horns.

mikem
05-11-2007, 11:01 PM
I also have the 5 yr warranty. As I understand it, no one will know if it is worth the paper it is written on until the initial 1yr / 200 hr warranty is over because the original warranty supersedes the extended warranty. That being the case I wonder if anyone has reached the point of testing it yet. It is my opinion that I bought the extended warranty in good faith and Sears not LHR will need to make good on it if and when I need it. How it all plays out, I don't care as long as I am happy in the end.
As my personal saga goes, I am on my second machine the first one would never get past the start up screen. The second has died because of a board sensor problem which was easily fixed with great customer service from LHR and a new one sent to me in the mail. Then the power supply failed, fixed again quickly with a new part sent to me, but it then dies almost immediately with the same problem. Sent the machine to Texas, came back (3 weeks of down time) ran for a little less than an hour and the power died again. Had to wait a week while all the trouble shooting staff was away at a home and garden show out of town. Just finished with a troubleshooting session on the phone with Chris from LHR and the y are sending me a new controller unit if that doesn't work I'm thinking of giving this one back to sears and starting over with a new one.
Am I at the end of my patience? I would be, except LHR customer service has been very very good, and no other artistic endeavor has infused me with so much potential and desire to explore so many avenues of creation.
So, if you take the plunge, I would advise you to go in with your eyes open. Problems may occur and you may have to weigh your benefits over your patience level. Each person will balance out differently on that scale, but at least knowing that your machine may require service, either out of the box or at some point there after, will prepare you to not be a highly disgruntled buyer.
As a side note, it seems their are a few on this forum who like to put together their own statistics about how rare a serious problem occurs with this machine, all I can say is statistics that argue a low failure rate don't matter if you are one of the ones with a serious problem. My multiple serious problems have probably made me biased but to me their statistics don't ring true because of my personal experience and because I have spent a lot of time in the troubleshooting section. The wealth of information there didn't come from machines with no problems. Of course you should draw your own conclusions.
I will eventually return to happy carving.
Mike

HillBilly
05-11-2007, 11:03 PM
fstrumpf,

First off let me say that I`m sure you would/will find the CraveWright/CompuCarve a welcome addition to your wooodworking stable. At what I feel is a very minimal expense compaired to other tools of this type, even if you do find yourself having to execute a few bugs here and there it`s still well worth your time and effort IMO.

Most here I`m sure would also agree that the hardest part is having to learn about, as well as use some of the outside software that makes this tool such a joy to use. The machine for the most part is a lot like most personal computers. It can become one of your best friends or your worst nightmare. After all it its self is just that, a computer driven tool only capable of rendering your programing as a final result. Trust me I`ve made my fair share of firewood and do expect to make much more. But with each piece I do burn I learn a little bit more from my mistakes.

Now as to your experance with Sears. I was an employee of Sears (now Sears Holdings Corp) for eight years in the D/9 dept (tools). When I was hired I was not looking for employment (I was self employed at that time), they were head hunting and found me. At that time they were starting a concept they were calling "Tool Territory" this in answer to customer requests to have knowledgeable representatives in that department. Those who had experience with the tools and what they were or were not capable of doing, as well as to help and assist a person with any other problems along those lines that might present themselves. Sadly this is no longer the case with Sears at this time. Most of the people who once worked there have now moved on with the decline in wages that have occurred over the past few years. I left their employment in February of this year and to this day get calls from my former customers regarding their toolage, its use, and my recommendations. As well as calls from former associates asking if I could help them answer a prospective customers questions. In my eight years of employment with them never once was I unable to provide answers, or lend aid if asked.

As for the misconceptions about the "Master Protection Agreement" (MPA), what you referred to as an "extended warranty". I was told as many others were "It doesn`t exist". I do however have one in my hands as we speek. I called the number on the innner back page of the manual and purchased a five year plan for less then fifty dollars. This policy has the name of the tool (ComuCarve) on it as well as the Sears stock number. This policy is a legal binding contract that can only be cancelled by of the terms set forth in section fourteen (14) of the contract and presented as follows; "CANCELLATION AND REFUNDS. You may cancel at time for any reason by mailing written noticeof cancellation to: Cancellation Services, 2080 Brenywood Street, High point, NC 27263, ATTENTION: CUSTOMER SERVICE. We may cancel this MPA if you fail to pay, make a material misrepresentation, substantially breach your dudys under this MPA, or if SEARS Repair or its representatives determines that it cannot service your coverd porduct(s) due to poor accessibility or safe working conditions. We may also cancel this aAgreement if the covered product(s) does not have a legible model or serial number or is in a disassembled state. If this MPA is cancelled by you or us within sixty (60) days of the date received, or prior to the expiration of the full warranty for the entire product, excluding warranties covering component parts of the product, we will refund the Total Price. If this MPA is cancelled thereafter, we will refund the Total Price allocable to the remainder of the term of this MPA prorated on a monthly basis. Any refund will be made in the same form as theoriginal payment of the Total Price." Note there is no clause that allows them to cancel the contract if they mistakenly sold it.

I beleive most everyone here is aware of as well, that the Sears Service and Repair Centers have no clue as to how this thing works, let alone be able to execute any needed repairs. All repairs are being handled by LHR Technologies, Inc. to the best of my knowledge, and quite well I might add IMO.

Now as for "the only reported problems" having come from those who have tried to use it in a "Commercial Enviroment", as told to you by the Sears associate (representative). I would guess you were speeking with one of the many newer employees, trying to pull a rabbit out of his hat as he really had no idea. I would also bet he was fairly young to be trying to sell tools as well...<grin> (Takes a lifetime for most of us, and even then we learn a bit more each day.)

With what you have said you have as a background, I`d say you`r one step ahead of many who jumped in feet first. Now get yourself one and get to carving. I for one am hopiing to see more of you and what you can come up with... ;-)

Azbear
05-12-2007, 06:19 PM

When my z axis truck started shaking side to side, I called Sears and they wanted to send over a tech. Well something told me the tech would not be able to fix the problem. I sent a mpeg to LHR and got a message and shipping label to send it in to LHR for repair. None of my credit cards have been charged with a fee and also I did receive a message stating it was shipped back to me on the 8th. Have not seen it yet, but that is a shipping issue.

Hats off to LHR!!

fstrumpf
05-16-2007, 08:56 AM
Thanks for all the feedback.

I understand

Great idea and in time will be improved. Understand that it'll need some ttention in the meantime.

I'll make the trip to Sears this weekend and not take their young sales Associates too seriously.

Thanks again

Fred

ausomm
05-18-2007, 12:49 PM
Well early in the year I bought two of these machines thinking I would be working allot more than I'm doing, & I decided I would sell one of them. I bought it @ Sears for $1699.00 & since it's still under warranty cause I haven't put but minimal hours work on it, I would need to sell it @ same price, I also have a scanner. I'm in Houston TX but will ship if requested.

Charles M
05-18-2007, 01:02 PM
Well early in the year I bought two of these machines thinking I would be working allot more than I'm doing, & I decided I would sell one of them. I bought it @ Sears for $1699.00 & since it's still under warranty cause I haven't put but minimal hours work on it, I would need to sell it @ same price, I also have a scanner. I'm in Houston TX but will ship if requested.

I'd recommend selling it on ebay. They seem to go for good money there.