PDA

View Full Version : Flexshaft/cutting head heat

ljdm
05-10-2007, 06:23 PM
Bought my CC end of March, fairly newer model, as far as updates go, I guess. About 10 carving hrs on it. Flexshaft is getting pretty hot, as well as the piece between the shaft and the chuck(cutting head?). Noticed the flexshaft shaking around quite a bit, let it cool, stopped, then started again. Somewhere on the forum, I red a post where CW says the shaft should be approx 100 degrees, head 140 degrees. Without a thermometer, I don't know how close it was to those figures, not hot enough to blister my hand, anyway. Anybody else notice shaking of the shaft, maybe before failure? Reduced bit optimization, seemed to help, but didnt run it as long as before. Approx time before shaking occurred was about 30-40 minutes into a carve. Thoughts?

pkunk
05-10-2007, 06:40 PM
Have you lubed it?

Cliff
05-10-2007, 06:47 PM
My last set of carvings, it did shake quite a bit during the cut-out. Could not understand how the vibration transfered so wildly to the shaft, as the cuts were smooth. I've also noticed that during carvings that the righ side bevels are alway fuzzy while the left side is not, but it cleans up easy enough.

Cliff

rjp736
05-10-2007, 08:25 PM
Last time I had a lot of flex shaft shake, I lubed the flex shaft and the shaking went away.

captbuck
05-06-2011, 06:16 PM
When I first got my machine (I think also in March) the flex shaft housing would get so hot it would blister your hand. On the forum someone told me that I needed to lubricate it with Liquid Wrench Chain Lube w/moly, which I did as directed, sprayed the cable and let it drip for approx. 30 minutes and re-install in machine. This did not help one bit, so I called Carvewright and they told me the lube was not getting into the cable and I should coil it up in a coffee can and let it soak in the chain lube overnight. I did, problem solved. Hope this helps

Digitalwoodshop
05-06-2011, 06:49 PM
GOOD ADVICE......

And that part about letting it dry overnight is important is you soak it... IF excess lube is left on the cable it will find the top bearing on the Z Truck making heat in the Z Truck.... Remove Top Hat, (2 screws on top of Z Truck) and check for excess oil and wipe dry.

AL