PDA

View Full Version : using Truetype fonts to import cad drawings.

betacrash
05-09-2007, 06:21 AM
what about designing in corel draw then exporting as a True Type font then insert the font onto the workpiece and then resize? has anyone tried this? I would think it would be a good workaround to getting vector art into the work area.

Greybeard
05-09-2007, 11:13 AM
Interesting idea, but what version of CorelDraw have you got ?
My version 11 doesn't allow me to export as a TrueType font.

John

betacrash
05-09-2007, 05:21 PM
i know when I had version 5,6 and I believe 8 that they all had that option. I have version 11 now and didnt think that they would remove the option I didnt look though. I know that it was there in previous versions because I used to make my own fonts with it all of the time.

Found some proof that it existed

http://www.eftelibra.co.uk/ttf.html

Jon Jantz
05-09-2007, 05:23 PM
Hmmmm..... **wheels in head turning** ///slowly....

will have to play with that.....

Bill
05-09-2007, 05:58 PM
Very interesting indeed

RC Woodworks
05-09-2007, 06:19 PM
Please share! I have Corel Draw X3 and I will try. But I need some help on how to do it. I know I bought Corel Draw X3 without knowing how to use it!

Rick

Sarge
05-09-2007, 08:42 PM
Why not open PowerPoint, insert a Text box, then set your font within the box as you wish. Then right-click on the text box and save as picture? You can then Import that as a ptn and adjust the size.

Maybe I'm off in left field.... but that's how I make stuff that I don't have the fonts for in Designer.

RC Woodworks
05-10-2007, 12:27 AM
Hmm, sarge that is interesting! Do you mean you don't have all your fonts show up in designer? I have installed about 10,000 fonts directly into my fonts folder and I think they are all there. Thanks for sharing that I am going to look into it and give it a try!

Rick

Greybeard
05-10-2007, 01:54 AM
Why not open PowerPoint, insert a Text box, then set your font within the box as you wish. Then right-click on the text box and save as picture? You can then Import that as a ptn and adjust the size.

Maybe I'm off in left field.... but that's how I make stuff that I don't have the fonts for in Designer.

Sarge - does that give you a vector cut or a raster ?
Betacrash, like others(me included :) ) is looking for the speed that a vector cut gives over the raster method, as well as probably a better cut.

John

Edit: Betacrash - I thought this was familiar. I posted a comment back in November last year, when I had the same idea, but found that you couldn't edit the font "letter" once it was in Designer.
I'm going to have another go though :)
It wasn't in version 8 by the way, I've still got that loaded as well. I remember it in either 4 or 7 select which were my earlier ones.

Charles M
05-10-2007, 06:11 AM
betacrash,

You, my friend, are a genius!! I make a simple oval in CorelDraw X3 and exported it as a font (the only choice I saw was a PostScript font) as letter "T". Then installed the font into my Windows Fonts folder. Next opened Designer and using the text tool put the oval (letter "T") on my project. Chose Outline and can now Cut Path, Resize, Choose Bit, Carve Area, etc. It's a vector in Designer. SWEEEEEET!!!

sk8nmike
05-10-2007, 06:30 AM
i know when I had version 5,6 and I believe 8 that they all had that option. I have version 11 now and didnt think that they would remove the option I didnt look though. I know that it was there in previous versions because I used to make my own fonts with it all of the time.

Found some proof that it existed

http://www.eftelibra.co.uk/ttf.html

Version 10 has Save as TTF - True Type Font

ljdm
05-10-2007, 06:42 AM
Tried to do the oval on Corel, etc..........not working. I made the oval, exported as .pfb font. Installed in fonts, etc. Opened Designer, first time, system hung for a long time. Tried again, but each time, when you choose the font "T", it is blank. Did I change a setting in export when I was saving, or is there an option I should use? Any explanations appreciated.

rjustice
05-10-2007, 08:23 AM
Guys (and gals)...

I asked a question quite a while back that relates to this ability (i think)...

If you picked a few fonts that you used alot, and added the gradient fill and blurr to the edges to create the rounded edges on the lettering, could you then save this down as a new font style? Then if you chose that style font, all of your lettering could be handled inside designer.

Ron

Charles M
05-10-2007, 09:23 AM
Ron,

As far as I can tell, the only way CorelDraw will make the font is from a complete path. If you use a gradient it says there are too many objects to export.

betacrash
05-10-2007, 03:58 PM
im very new to the compucarve and very new to designer. i was just wanting to create use a lot of the drawing that I have made in corel for guitars and was getting discouraged. so i have created a font for each design that I have. its just a method of transport to get it into the software. I was going to make the "a" my guitar profile and the "b" my routed channels for the wiring. im glad the idea is getting some interest.

and to answer the blur and gradient question about fonts. fonts a pretty much black and white any blur effect you see on some fonts is accomplished by dithering and other two tone trickery.

rjustice
05-10-2007, 10:19 PM
Beta,

Ok, I am very unexperienced in the graphics world so if this is a dumb question sorry.... What about the options that are used to color a font... is it possible to build a color scheme that would offset a grayscale transition as part of a color?

Ron

betacrash
05-11-2007, 04:52 AM
nope, coloring of the font is all done with the application itself. no color information is ever stored with the font. it would have to be an added "feature" of the designer software.