PDA

View Full Version : Kokopelli

VtBlues
05-08-2007, 06:18 PM
Just replaced an rpm sensor and chuck and needed something to try it out on. My wife asked me to try this since I really didn't have a particular project ready. At least its not firewood this time. One of these days I'll get the hang of this machine and really have some fun.

natman
05-08-2007, 06:53 PM
I like that surfer dude file..What wood did you put that on..It looks like curly maple but I could be wrong..Nice job on it..

Sarge
05-08-2007, 08:58 PM
Natman,
That's not a surfer. I don't know of any cactus that grows in the ocean. I think it's a Native American with a pipe or flute!!

VtBlues
05-08-2007, 11:36 PM
Thanks natman. The wood is actually just a piece of 1x8 pine from home depot with some leftover stain(oak and provincial mixed I think). Sarge is right. Its a figure of southwest native american origin. The real meaning of it depends on who you talk to. I've heard everything from a fertility diety to a trickster spirit. I've trashed too much nice wood for a while so am doing most stuff in pine for now till I have something really good thats deserving. Anyone here ever tried to carve cocoboa wood. Georgous wood but really pricey.

HillBilly
05-09-2007, 12:53 AM
That`s a great carving ! I love it. It amazed me most folks didn`t know what it was. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kokopelli)

Now as to "Sarge" smoking that stuff, I`d for one like to get some of whatever he`s got...<grin>

cajunpen
05-09-2007, 01:41 AM
I've trashed too much nice wood for a while so am doing most stuff in pine for now till I have something really good thats deserving. Anyone here ever tried to carve cocoboa wood. Georgous wood but really pricey.

Cocobola should carve o.k. - but it is, as you said quite pricey and a bit on the oily side. Don't think I'll put any in my CW.

HillBilly
05-09-2007, 03:12 AM
I`d have to agree with "cajunpen" that the wood "Cocobola" should carve with some good results, and as such might be best held back untill you`r sure your willing to risk the cost of it. It might not take stain as you have seen from some others however, but it is a nice wood to use at times.

Here`s a little something to add to your files if You`d like to.

JOHNB
05-09-2007, 06:12 AM
Hi Vtblues; Looks Like A Nice Rounded 3d Pattern. Can You Share It? Kokopelli- Hillbillys Wilkapedia- Very Interesting Meaning I Did Not Know. Being From The North East Maybe.

natman
05-09-2007, 08:23 AM
My bad guys..Kinda looked like a surfer to me..Now that it's been pointed out I guess cactus don't grow in the ocean..Guess I should lay off the canine fecal stuff myself:oops:

Lucky13
05-09-2007, 08:51 AM
Great job on the Kokpelli, would you be interested in sharing the art work?

Thanks
Lucky13

VtBlues
05-09-2007, 10:34 AM
I have no problem at all with putting the whole thing up here but I don't know what the status of copyright issues would be. The wife saw it as a plaque for sale on a website somewhere and I just did the rounding and some tweaking to break out parts that were all interconnected. If the moderators have no problem with it I'll put it up when I get home tonight. I guess if they do they will remove it anyway. Thanks for the kind words.

pkunk
05-09-2007, 10:47 AM
Kokopelli has been around since before fire. The first guy to carve him into rock could care less-neither could I. This copyright business is sometimes taken to the extreme.

rgant05
05-09-2007, 11:43 AM
I agree with pkunk that the copyright issue has been taken too far in most cases. Although its a valid concern, most have read too much into the whole issue. Good rule of thumb is... if you bought it, it is probably protected. If you take a piece of art and put hours of work into it to make it usable in a completely different form then it may not be protected... key is are you gonna be selling it again. Hope this doesn't spark another discussion which I have no desire to see OR read, but hope it does get Kokopelli posted for carving :) He is not actually someone who most people know anything about other than those interested or knowledgable about Native cultures.

Nice work and carving.... especially making pine look like some nice hardwood.. at least in the pictures.

Roger

PS, also thought I would ask. Did you do the work in Corel and if you did would you consider sharing on that level also so the "welcome" message could be modified for other purposes. Just thought I would ask.

edzbaker
05-09-2007, 05:55 PM
Something that everyone should know about that Expensive Cocobola wood. Lots of us Bowl Turners have used it to turn wooden bowls. But there is a saying that all of us are aware of: "When it comes to Cocobola, there's only two kinds of people, the ones that are alergic to it, and those that will be." The dust from it will cause an alergic reaction on Almost everyone.

VtBlues
05-10-2007, 01:40 AM
Here is some stuff for you folks to play with. The starting pic, what was actually loaded into designer and the mpc file. I use three different software packages cause each does something a little easier than the other, I use Picture it 10, Photo impact 12 and corel x3 and just stumble along till I get something that looks like it will work. been crawling my way up the learning curve but getting there slowly but surely. Have fun with the files

Jon Jantz
05-10-2007, 04:29 AM
And here's just the Kokopelli man for those of you who want to use it...

Lucky13
05-10-2007, 02:58 PM
He guys, thanks for the posts