PDA

View Full Version : Bit Plunges Thru Board

pterris
05-08-2007, 02:22 PM
My machine had been working fine until today when attempting to carve a new design onto a 12x16 x 1 inch thick foam board (hdu), the carving bit moved to the start point of the piece and immediately started carving its way clean thru the 1 inch thick board. I figured I had a glitch in my design, so formated the memory chip and uploaded a simple square .1 deep to cut with the v-bit. Same thing. the bit was taken directly to the start point of the square then (while rotating) plunged thru the foam board. I have air cleaned the machine throughly, checked for loose wiring, but to no avail.
Any ideas??

SEE ATTACHED BOARD

benluz
05-08-2007, 02:31 PM
At the projects menu, Hit 0,7 ,then use up down arrow to scroll through senors readings ,when you get to the z- reading,grab the z-truck and see if you numbers change as you move the head up and down,then also verify this, if you move it up all the way record the number, move up down and record the number,now move it up and down again and see if it returns the same values at each end of it's limits.More than likely you have a z-encoder problem,assuming your z-axis belt is still attached and those sort of obvious things.
Ben

upcedar
05-08-2007, 02:34 PM
that happened to me once when I updated from 1.19, call LHR! Rick

ruggybear
05-08-2007, 02:42 PM
Yep - happened to me as well. Call LHR and get ready to let the machine make the trip to Texas.

VtBlues
05-08-2007, 02:49 PM
I had the same problem also but in wood, where the bit would embed itself as soon as it started. You might check when you start the project it asks for the bit then goes to the far side of the machine. There is a little flapper there that is supposed to come out when the truck comes all the way over and then the bit comes down to touch the flapper to get a height calibration. Sometimes either the flapper gets sticky or the truck doesn't go all the way over and that will happen. Bit should hit on the top of the flapper and not the side. Worth checking.

benluz
05-08-2007, 03:12 PM
if it's the z-encoder and your are a little mechanical it's an easy fix ..no need to box the machine up.They send you a new dc motor/encoder and you swap them out.
Ben

RBeau1954
05-08-2007, 04:07 PM
Yup, it is a z-axis pack they will send you, some of the boards had bad solder jobs and the vibration works them loose. Had the same problem with my machine, did the up and down thing, the flapper thing, took the sheath off the wires to the motor to get more room for the head to move and hit the flapper, did it all and the engineer I talked to said it was the z-axis board. Very easy to replace, only problem is, they are back ordered. You can send in your board to be repaired, better then sending the machine but I have been down for 2 weeks waiting for one and Heather called today and said one is on the way. Hope so.

Rick

swhitney
05-08-2007, 07:29 PM
Hate to rain on the "easy" parade, but the policies appear to have changed for the marvelous tech support guys (and gals).... Gertrude (machine #1) had to make the trip to Texas due to unsolvable board sensor problems. Upon return, I opened the box and saw the end of a broken Y-axis belt. I have had the truck off before, so I called and asked for the belt. They insisted that I send Gertrude on the long trek again. So, while I await Gertrude's return, Sophie (machine #2) is a new addition to the shop. While I do not agree with the "new" policy, I do understand their concern for quality control. Sophie (which has an older serial number and was an eBay orphan) works most superbly, and keeps my shop at a high decibel range. I still am amazed at what this machine can do, and the "service breaks" give me time to come up to speed on the software (If your machine gives you lemons, make lemonade????) I eagerly await the centerline font feature's return (even if it costs a few bucks). Enough from me... Keep on a carvin' brothers of the wood fibers.....

pastime106
05-16-2007, 09:08 PM
Just curious, I now have the dreaded z issue. I am sure that it will be fixed in one way or another. I am very curious. I never had this problem until I added a probe and scanned a few items. I tried the procedure explained by Ben and everthing there seems good to go. (Thanks Ben, great tip and place to start) I was wondering- has anyone else had this problem after adding a probe or is this just by chance that my machine starting messing up at the same time I added the probe. I also named my machine that day, but the rules on the board will not allow me to share her new name. :-)

Also the machine seemed to wait until I fed it a 30 year old piece of black walnut from my grandfathers shop, did not happen with cheap pine from lowes! :eek: Could be a factor LOL

Thanks
Pastime

pastime106
05-17-2007, 04:57 PM
Just a quick update. I had contacted customer support and turns out that my Z-axis motor needs to be sent in and fixed. The sent me an e-mail and instructions for removal. Support is out of this world. It also gave me a reason to actually look under the hood for the first time. It will be down for a while, but I am glad that it went wrong while it is still covered.
I wish all businesses that I deal with were this good.

Pastime106

benluz
05-17-2007, 05:49 PM
Just a quick update. I had contacted customer support and turns out that my Z-axis motor needs to be sent in and fixed. The sent me an e-mail and instructions for removal. Support is out of this world. It also gave me a reason to actually look under the hood for the first time. It will be down for a while, but I am glad that it went wrong while it is still covered.
I wish all businesses that I deal with were this good.

Pastime106

yes...it's an easy swap
Ben

pastime106
05-22-2007, 06:49 AM
Ben- Z_axis arrived yesterday. I have not put the machine back together but I did notice that when the new Z arrived it did not have that clear plastic piece over the gears on the back. Is this something that they did away with, or did they just not put one back. It would be easy to cut out, just curious. I don't think I will be in touch with tech support today (On the road/ no one there now due to time diffrence).

Thanks Tom

pastime106
05-22-2007, 01:59 PM
They are sending me a new plastic piece. I was able to contact them.

Thanks
Tom

benluz
05-22-2007, 02:21 PM
They are sending me a new plastic piece. I was able to contact them.

Thanks
Tom

yes...it needs that .I once left mine off it ran fine it takes a while for the dust to build up and find it's way back in their,but definitely better to have it.Also check that those gears are clean and you can put a dab of lithium grease on them,do that right before you put it back together.
Ben

pastime106
05-22-2007, 03:11 PM
I appreciate the reply. I also appreciate the tip on the grease. I just never seem to know what parts you can apply the grease to and what parts you can destroy be putting grease on. I have read some posts where grease has messed up some parts. I will be sure to hit it wit a little lithium just before she goes back together.

Thanks again
Tom

benluz
05-22-2007, 05:04 PM
I appreciate the reply. I also appreciate the tip on the grease. I just never seem to know what parts you can apply the grease to and what parts you can destroy be putting grease on. I have read some posts where grease has messed up some parts. I will be sure to hit it wit a little lithium just before she goes back together.

Thanks again
Tom

I know the lithium is ok on the nylon and brass gear,because I could see it on there when I took it apart the my first,plus mine has ran with many hours with it.
Ben