PDA

View Full Version : Probe note

bladesmith
05-07-2007, 05:42 PM
All,

I received my probe a few days ago, and have not had an opportunity to try it yet. However, for reference, and having seen posts from previous probe users about damaging the finish while scanning painted or otherwise finished items ... I examined the tip of the probe, and noticed that there was a burr, or sharp edge around the rim of the tip. While I cannot speak for CarveWright, you might want to check the tip of your probe, and if you find such a burr, either check with them, or take a whetstone and very lightly remove the burr. I think this may help avoid damaging any finish on items you want to scan.

Cheers,

Bladesmith

Gman_Ind
05-08-2007, 08:28 AM
I was thinking about the same thing a light stroke with a diamond hone would remove the burr or sharp edge on the probe hopefully reducing any damage to handmade carvings. I have a couple of friends up north who chip carve and I want to borrow some of their work but I don't want to risk damaging their (and their grandfathers) work. Just a thought, the force required to open the circuit is directly related to the spring in the probe the one in mine looks like a conical flashlight battery spring, maybe a substitution with a softer spring would use less force and less damage to the scanned object. I can't test this with mine as it is refusing to scan right now.

Kenm810
05-08-2007, 09:40 AM
Mike,
Just a thought for you, there are new release agents available now that you can use on painted or carved objects that won't damage the surfaces. Sometimes we have to vacuum seal some items in a cling wrap like plastic.Then make a latex mold and cast a reproduction piece that the probe can scan. We pour in an acrylic resin mix that sets up harder the aluminum

Gman_Ind
05-08-2007, 10:07 AM
Thanks Ken,
How about posting the link to the release agents?
Nice new clip art avatar I see, keeping it fresh...;-)