PDA

View Full Version : Screws

Hanna
05-07-2007, 01:00 AM
If anyone has removed the close cover sensors from the lid of the compucarve, can you tell me if there is a bolt about 1" long and a short screw holding that in place?

On mine, I could not get the outside screw to tighten, so I took the sensor off. That outside screw is so short I don't see how it can possibly grab onto anything to tighten. Other than the point little more than a thread or two protrudes through the sensor and the plate.

If that is not right, is it ok to just put in a longer screw or may that mess things up?

HillBilly
05-07-2007, 02:36 AM
Don`t know about anyone else here, but wouldn`t there be a way to "by-pass" this issue if need be ?

HillBilly
05-07-2007, 02:39 AM
Kind`a like having a guard on a table saw ain`t it ?

It`s you own risk, after all.

benluz
05-07-2007, 06:30 AM
If anyone has removed the close cover sensors from the lid of the compucarve, can you tell me if there is a bolt about 1" long and a short screw holding that in place?

On mine, I could not get the outside screw to tighten, so I took the sensor off. That outside screw is so short I don't see how it can possibly grab onto anything to tighten. Other than the point little more than a thread or two protrudes through the sensor and the plate.

If that is not right, is it ok to just put in a longer screw or may that mess things up?

the computer off switch as I recall just had two long screws holding the switch in place.
Ben

Mikewiz
05-07-2007, 11:42 AM
Is there a way to adjust the cover switches? I got the close cover error and searched the forum. I checked the screws and they were tight. but if I shim out the cover it shows closed and carves fine. if I close the cover all the way it keep sutting down and close cover message apears.

DocWheeler
05-07-2007, 12:19 PM
Mike,
I would think that bending the "arm" of the switch would be the first thing to try. If that didn't work, filing off a little of the cam that presses the "arm" would be the second try. I would not advise either option two or shimming the switch.
This problem sounds a little strange, I would not have thought that the switch could be pressed so far as to open the contact after closing it.
From what was said prevoiusly on this thread, there does not seem to be enough threads to do anything there.

Ken

Greybeard
05-07-2007, 12:49 PM
Use a longer screw, but first run a nut onto it, up to the head.
Screw the bolt in till it becomes tight, then run down the nut till that tightens up. You then have an adjustable length screw/bolt.
Over here, it's screws for wood, bolts for metal, unless it's a self-tapping screw :)
John

Hanna
05-07-2007, 01:40 PM
LOL, well Greybeard, I don't know what it is over here for sure I guess. To me if it has a pointy end and threads, its a screw, if it has a flat end and threads its a bolt.

I did call CW. The piece I am referring to.....the one on the right, has nothing to do with close cover. That is the cut out motor sensor. The thing that makes the motor stop when the cover is lifted. The sensor that controls the cover is the one on the left and there are 4 screws. Two on the sensor itself and two that hold the hinges to the ?frame?

I took the lid off again, tightend those....one on the frame part was lose.

I got my wiring all back in place etc., tried to adjust the hight on the lid a little to help getting the cover back in place.........and it wouldn't move.

I had a vertical lock up. I put a screw driver into the hole on that shaft thingie like the manual says and turned it and that did fix it.

However.........do I need to turn that back in the other direction now or????

Mikewiz
05-07-2007, 04:28 PM
I called cw and they said since shimming the cover out 3/8" made the cover error go away that they are sending me a new cover and directions on how to change it. they said the switch is still good since shimming made it work.

michaelfrat
05-11-2007, 11:25 AM
Greetings, thanks for posting this.
MAN how frustrating:mad: , exactly as you describe it.
Will try shiming the cover to see if that helps.
(excitedly running back to the shop to try it)
All the best,
Michael..

VtBlues
05-11-2007, 03:04 PM
Had the same problem with mine after changing an rpm sensor(CC). Held it open a bit and the error went away. I got lucky though and opened and closed it a few times and the error went away for the rest of the carve. still got a CCM though :-(