PDA

View Full Version : New Chuck question

VtBlues
05-06-2007, 10:06 AM
Got a new replacement chuck from CW. When I put it in there are still some threads showing at the top of the chuck. Is this normal or should it tighten up so that no threads are visible where it attaches to the machine

Digitalwoodshop
05-06-2007, 10:17 AM
My unit has a few threads showing but it is tight. You put lock tight on the threads too right..... ?

AL

cnccarver
05-06-2007, 10:49 AM
The chuck on my machine never seemed to work correctly. What did you do to get the old one off and how much did the new one cost?

VtBlues
05-06-2007, 03:38 PM
My Machine is under warranty so CW sent me the chuck no charge. Pretty much did what everyone on here has done to get the old one out. Was lucky to have a set of open end wrenchs that are only about 1/8 inch thick to go on the chuck and ground down an oversized allen wrench to hold the top. Applied heat from a hair drier to loosen the threadlock and applied muscle. My "old" chuck never seemed right either. Haven't done anything with the new one as far as carving but it seems to work better than the one that came on it. Just replaced it this morning and am going to give the locktite time to fully cure for 24 hrs. before I try it out.

Digitalwoodshop
05-06-2007, 07:01 PM
I had bit wobble and they sent me new chuck and I asked and they sent a wrench and square drive wrench all under warranty.

Good Luck

AL

liquidguitars
05-07-2007, 12:07 AM
My unit has a few threads showing but it is tight. You put lock tight on the threads too right..... ?

AL

yes that ok I have about 1/8 showing.. regarding the LT just one drop of lock tight or you could have a heck of a time removing them later....

LG