PDA

View Full Version : Rollers for long pieces

cycollins
05-06-2007, 03:59 AM
The manual mentions that the CW machine can theoretically take any length of board, but that for a very-long board, one ought to set up mechanical supports to extend the function of the folding outfeed tables. It also says, "no fair just holding the boards up with your hands when they hang too far out of the machine." (I'm paraphrasing a bit, but you get the idea).

I've been building a very long (~40") sled, in order to carve large projects, maintain contact with both compression rollers, and allow insertion, removal and replacement of the work piece, without disengaging the board-tracking sensor (whose name I just learned thanks to some helpful forum users who helped me disambiguate it from the board sensor - I used to call it "The little brass wheel thingy"). Needless to say, the neighborhood of 40" is easily long enough to require some of these auxiliary outfeed helpers. So what to use? Obviously I could use some ad-hoc thing like a saw-horse or something, but I wanted it to have a roller to smooth the uptake of the board as it slid onto the support. I also wanted it to have adjustable height, since the height is critical - too low: board levers down after leaving one of the compression rollers during length measurement - too high: board either bumps into the support causing x-axis stalls and/or levering of the board up into the machine or slides onto the support levering the machine up, arching the board, causing x-axis stalls and generally making life miserable.

So, I went hunting at Home Depot. There is no guarantee of successful hunting for a nebulous tool or work-surface at Home Depot. The people there are generally helpful and well-intentioned but a bit too busy to be imaginitive on your behalf. So when you ask them for "a thing to help support long boards when the come out the back end of a bench tool", they tend to squint there eyes and point vaguely in the direction of the aisle with ladders and sawhorses. So after making a quick survey of a number of other aisles with storage and shelving solutions, I headed over to the ladder and saw horse aisle with low expectations. What I found (hidden next to some sawhorses, behind some guy's abandoned roller full of lumber) was so perfect, I thought I'd share it with the forum. Cheap and to-the-point (much more so than my rambling posts).

It's just what it looks like. A single big roller on a folding base with adjustable height - $20.00. I bought two - one for the front and one for the back. If you're headed to Home Depot, the brand is "WorkForce" and the short-hand name for it is a roller stand. The high-end woodworkers on the forum already know things like that, but for people like me, who use the CW to convert their computer skills into woodworking skills, these things are minor miracles. There's a more-expensive version here: http://pricecutter.com/product.asp?pn=489-9118
and a less-expensive clear-out sale on this one:http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=4603

Cheers,
cycollins

Charles M
05-06-2007, 08:05 AM
Thanks for pointing out that HD has them. I didn't think to look there but I did find som similar ones at Harbor Freight. They were on sale at the time for ~$12:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=46074

Kenm810
05-06-2007, 10:24 AM
Thanks Guys, very good point, -- some of us that have worked around shops for years and have seen most of the equipment available for wood working. Sometimes we foget there are folks out there that are new to this wood carving stuff and even if they walked through a woodcrafter store wouldn't know what half the stuff was or how use it . It's all part of the learning curve. Heck I've been doing this as an adult for more the 45 year and I feel / -- know I'm still learning.

ps. Great Forum

JOHNB
05-06-2007, 10:28 AM
Sears Has Them Also- I Think With The Craftsman Name.

rjustice
05-06-2007, 10:47 AM
For the less experienced in here there is one thing you want to watch when using the solid style rollers like you have pictured. You will want to make sure the roller is parallel with the roller on the carvewright. If it is at a slight angle to the machine it will try to pull the workpiece in the direction that is closest to the machine. If you simply get a quick measurement with a tapemeasure to get it as close as possible before you start that is close enough.

Another solution is to use the style that has ball bearings on the top instead of the solid roller. Alignment then doesnt matter. They cost about the same.

Ron

Kenm810
05-06-2007, 10:56 AM
Craftsman Multi-Action Work Support

Sears item #00922293000 Mfr. model #6102458

$24.99 $29.99
Save $5.00
thru 05/12/07 Club Member $19.99
Print it out and take it with you , they normally honorer the price

Doc was in the Building

dukecreek
05-06-2007, 11:08 AM
I was in Menards and found a chop saw stand that fits the bill. It has supports that are fully adjustable up and down as well as length. I made a mounting board for my chop saw, planer, and compucarve machine. Now when I want to use any of the above, I simply lossen a couple wing nuts and place the machine that I want to use on the stand. Cost about 80 bucks but it serves as a stand for my Compucarve, chop saw, planer, and I am making a board for my short joiner/edger.