PDA

View Full Version : The Gunny's Stuff

Dirtydan
05-06-2007, 01:51 AM
Rather than burn up disc space on the Forums server with pictures of my sometimes not so bad work, I thought I'd just open a page on mine...

I've just posted some of the Mother's Day carvings I've done this last week at http://www.ddsf-ent.com/CarveWright/ . I plan to update it as I approach different projects and hope to generate some comments from everyone on this thread as well as maybe pass on some good ideas I might stumble upon..:p

Rampie
05-06-2007, 06:43 AM
Excellent job there bud. Did you just import the photos into designer or did you do some work on them first with a graphics program.

Git-R-Carved
Rampie

Dirtydan
05-06-2007, 12:25 PM
Excellent job there bud. Did you just import the photos into designer or did you do some work on them first with a graphics program.

Rampie,

I use a package called Ulead Photo Impact. Here's my process for clean-up:

1. Open the photo in Ulead
2. Copy and paste it into a new file as an object.
3. With the Cropping tool, crop out exactly what you want with as little un-wanted background as possible. (This could also be done before you copy and paste in number 2 above).
4. With the eraser, erase all the background / things I don't want. This is the most important part... Everything you don't want has to be taken out.. I normally blow-up the object to at least 300% so I can see any little pixels that I may have missed.
5. Save the object as a 256 color or grayscale picture in the .PNG format.
6. Import into carvewright... The picture should be real clean, but check it again before you save it as a pattern.

You should be good-to-go after that.

You can do all the above in different graphics packages, I have three or four different packages including Photoshop, but I've been using the Ulead software the longest, so its easier for me... I'm sure there are better, faster ways of doing it, but this is the way I pound it out...

Dirtydan
05-06-2007, 07:26 PM
Added the last two Mother's Day projects to the website... Both are a little different than the first nine... #10 is the Wifes choice.... She likes White...:p

http://www.ddsf-ent.com/CarveWright/

Dirtydan
05-07-2007, 06:26 PM
:rolleyes: Cobra projects are in the works... Have to take some more pictures of the car...to many shadows.... Will try tomorrow..if I get the car washed... LOL..

Project layouts are posted as .jpg files at: http://www.ddsf-ent.com/CarveWright/

Dirtydan
05-08-2007, 03:53 AM
The first Cobra carving will start in the morning..

Dirtydan
05-10-2007, 03:28 AM
Just when I thought I'd finished all my Mother's Day projects, my daughters asked me what I had done for the wife... So I punched this out today...

Not happy about the lettering on "DAN"...could not figure out how to angle it and not have the letters slanted... Any idea's out there???

Greybeard
05-10-2007, 04:31 AM
Is this the sort of thing you're looking for?

In the text box, I typed in DAN, then moved the "Arc degrees" control.
Then on the board, rotated it.

John

Dirtydan
05-12-2007, 01:19 AM
Is this the sort of thing you're looking for?

In the text box, I typed in DAN, then moved the "Arc degrees" control.
Then on the board, rotated it.

John

Thanks for the reply John, but that's not the problem... I rotated the text to lineup with the heart, but for some reason the text ended up with a backward slant... Don't know how I did that, made another piece and did not repeat the problem for some reason.... Confused for sure...I am...

Thanks again...

Dirtydan
05-12-2007, 01:26 AM
Got tired of trying to find all (six) of my hand carving tools...so this is what I'm making....

As you can see, I still have a little more clean-up before I put it together and stain/finish