PDA

View Full Version : Question on buying a probe

Semper Fi
05-05-2007, 07:49 PM
I have a basic question on purchasing a probe. Who do you order from, Sears or Carvewright? I have been on Sears list to be notified for awhile now, but if I order from LHR, would I get it first? Sears won't even accept an online order because they are out of stock. Where are you guys, and gals, getting yours from?]

I NEED ONE!!!!!!!! :)

Ernie

Kenm810
05-05-2007, 08:37 PM
Most of the folks that are receiving probes right now ordered them from CW weeks or months ago. You can order it now while they have some from CW at full price plus shipping (about $3.00 by mail) or go to a sears store or outlet and order one to be sent to the store when it is available, their on sale now and if you pick it up at the store there's no shipping. Sorry I couldn't tell you how to get any quicker though.
I'm also thinking that when sears dose get the probes in to their stock they may put them on sale like they did with the CCs plus the crarfsman club discount might bring the price back to the original $299.99 and no shipping. (maybe just wishful thinking)

Bill
05-05-2007, 08:54 PM
Ordered from Carvewright on Friday and it's way now, will arrive on 5/9

want2b
05-13-2007, 05:48 PM
When online to Sears early April and checked box for notification when available. Got an email on 5/12 saying now available.
Got tired of waiting and called in an order on 5/1 and was put on Sears wait list and am waiting for notification of shipment.

benluz
05-13-2007, 07:04 PM
When online to Sears early April and checked box for notification when available. Got an email on 5/12 saying now available.
Got tired of waiting and called in an order on 5/1 and was put on Sears wait list and am waiting for notification of shipment.

Carvewright received 500 the other week,I'm not sure if sears is getting any of those or not,better to order from Cw at this time.

rjustice
05-13-2007, 08:51 PM
I was notified Sunday 12:19 AM of the following !

Good News! The item you requested, is now available at Sears.com. You may go
directly to the product page by clicking the link or you can paste it into your
browser:

3-D Scanning Probe http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_SessionID=@@@@1291048201.1179107311@ @@@&BV_EngineID=ccdjaddkllifijhcefecemldffidfki.0&vertical=SEARS&sid=S0016300050000100081&pid=00921778000

Ron

BearlyRich
05-13-2007, 11:25 PM
I just tried ordering it. All goes well until after the credit card info in entered. Then it comes back with the probe being removed from the cart as not in stock. Tried several times with the same result... They either sold out very fast or their system is really messed up?

HillBilly
05-13-2007, 11:40 PM
They either sold out very fast or their system is really messed up?

YA Think !

Please try and understand with whom you are now dealing with folks.

BearlyRich
05-15-2007, 12:47 PM
Apparently the big problem is simply supply and demand. Sears sold out right away. I finally got to call Carvewright today about my chuck problem (handled very nicely) and ordered a probe from them (handled very nicely). Unfortunately, they're also out of stock... So at least I'm on the waiting list, which Sears doesn't do...

LogCabinMom
05-16-2007, 01:17 PM
I have one I don't need, brand new in the box, never opened. I just listed it on eBay for list price plus the $10 shipping/tax/whatever that CarveWright charged me. Guess I'll pay the shipping to return it to CarveWright if it doesn't sell. Thoughts?

swhitney
05-16-2007, 08:21 PM
I have debated the decision for the purchase of a probe...... until now... SOLD. thanx LogCabinMom

BearlyRich
05-17-2007, 09:35 AM
As of right now, both Sears and Carvewright have the probe in stock. Sears is having a 20% sale so it comes out for $339.99.

Mine shipped from Carvewright already. Yay!

I wonder how long they'll be in stock this time? ;-)

RBeau1954
05-18-2007, 08:03 PM
I got on the list at sears to be notified when they came in and during that time the price went up $100.00. I absolutely refuse to pay that kind of money just because sears decides to raise prices because of demand. I do not need it that bad. I got the email that they are in stock, I deleted it and will not get one.

Rick

BearlyRich
05-22-2007, 12:56 AM
When I bought the machine, I decided right off the bat that the probe was part of the system. I agree about the price but it is what it is... On the other hand, Sears has good sales very often so you can get it for much less. Last time around, it went into the cart at $339. The time before that it was $319. If it's something you want, just wait for the combination of a good sale and when it's in stock. May take a while though...

As far as mine goes, it finally got delivered. TO THE WRONG ADDRESS! And it's not even close to the first time DHL has done this. All I can do now is hope that the driver can remember where he dropped it off and can possibly retrieve it tomorrow... The only problem there is that I know there is no matching house number on the road he dropped it off at.

If anyone orders direct from carvewright, I strongly suggest you specify some other carrier than DHL!

Update: DHL finally did drop off the box this late morning (next day) on my steps. Would have been nice if they left it near the door or even knocked on it... But at least I now have it. Yay!

Gman_Ind
05-23-2007, 09:55 AM
I planned on getting the probe with the machine as well, I ordered it and spare bits when I ordered my machine.
One really handy almost required feature is the added ability to edit scanned objects and imported images, really this should IMHO be part of the image/pattern import process. A really handy addition to removing unwanted bumps and jaggies from imported images. the simple editing tools let you see how your grayscale image is translated into the 3d carving quickly.

BearlyRich
05-23-2007, 10:20 AM
I'll have to agree on that. The editing part should be standard in the software. It should also be easier to get to. I can't find any other way of bringing it up except to import a scan or double-click on an existing pattern in my Favorites. Why not just simply on the menu?

On more minor gripe. I can buy any number of cheap $19 to $49 tools and they all come in handy blow-moulded cases for protection. The probe comes in a cheap cardboard box... Come on, for $400, they could supply a decent case for it considering it's not always inserted into the machine. As a matter of fact, nothing is supposed to be left inserted int he chcuck. It should come with a case to hold the bits and probe...

Gman_Ind
05-23-2007, 11:20 AM
The probe does come with a nice faux suede flocked plastic tray! ;)
I think the plastic case idea is OK for a portable tool that is tossed into a pickup bed or tool trailer. The probe in its plastic tray is ok for sitting in my tool chest. IMHO.

Donboy
05-23-2007, 11:55 AM
The probe does come with a nice faux suede flocked plastic tray! ;)
I think the plastic case idea is OK for a portable tool that is tossed into a pickup bed or tool trailer. The probe in its plastic tray is ok for sitting in my tool chest. IMHO.

I bought mine from CW and it came in a oversize cardboard box. For some reason I have the feeling it was one that was returned, quick check over and sent out to the next customer....me. It worked for a while but now all it does is start to scan and then I get error "Z axis stall 246 press stop". The only bright side is the (Sears version) machine works great as a carving machine.
Went back to software version 1.115 as 1.120 even screwed up the machine.

BearlyRich
05-23-2007, 12:46 PM
Sorry to hear you have a problem with the probe. Mine came in a larger cardboard box also but I was hopinh it was new as it was all wrapped up in newspaper. Chinese newspaper! But who knows?

I updated my Sears machine to the 1.120 and have had only minor expected problems. What happened to yours that you went back to 1.115?

pastime106
05-23-2007, 08:36 PM
The probe does come with a nice faux suede flocked plastic tray!
This is how mine arrived as well. Not the greatest way in the world to store it, but it keeps it clean and keeps it from banging into the rest of my tools. I agree the price is a little steep for somting to arive wrapped in newspaper. When I get some time I can try and scan the plastic tray and post the file for others to carve. Might help, LMK if anyone in interested.

Tom

Kenm810
05-23-2007, 09:00 PM
Tom,
You might want to fill the back of the plastic with plaster Paris or something to keep the probe from punching holes in it. Mine was a little on the thin side.

Dirtydan
05-24-2007, 03:14 AM
Ok, I'm thinking about buying a probe...but I'm wondering if I should wait until CW comes out with their new software package. I don't want to be updating and paying twice if I don't have too... I'm worried about the probe software not working correctly with the new designer software... Any thoughts on this subject???

pastime106
05-24-2007, 08:24 AM
fill the back of the plastic with plaster Paris
Now that sounds like a good idea to me. Might just use the backside to make a mold. Hope to have it posted this weekend.

I should wait until CW comes out with their new software package
Just curious what is the new software supposed to change in the probing? Knock on wood my has worked without a hitch so far :D That would be great if they had an update that made it scan a little faster.

Thanks!
Tom

Donboy
05-24-2007, 08:45 AM
Sorry to hear you have a problem with the probe. Mine came in a larger cardboard box also but I was hopinh it was new as it was all wrapped up in newspaper. Chinese newspaper! But who knows?

I updated my Sears machine to the 1.120 and have had only minor expected problems. What happened to yours that you went back to 1.115?

Since late January 2007 my carver and probe both worked great. However a couple of weeks back the probe quits after 10/20 /30 /50 % with the Z axis stall error 246. Up graded to 1.120 thinking that would help....NOT !!
Then when I tried to start a carving project, the truck would gingerly hit the bit finder, bit would go down once, then the truck would shudder come back a little hit the bit finder again (a bit slow and shaky) the bit would go down again then the truck would return home. It just seemed that something wasn't right.It looked like more problems wanting to surface so back to 1.115. Still carves great, just will not complete a scan.

Gman_Ind
05-24-2007, 09:26 AM
I know we all want to play with our new toys but the probe pocket is a simple shape, maybe a vector cutout would be a better way to make the tool pocket and use a larger bit to remove the material, save the carving bit for detail work. Just a thought. I am thinking this way now because I can still design carvings but I can't scan nor carve until my machine returns from Texas.
Plus I am trying to get as much made before the 200 hour warranty is burned up.
I am also thinking of stuff to make quickly for sale at craft fairs and such.

BearlyRich
05-24-2007, 09:37 AM
Then when I tried to start a carving project, the truck would gingerly hit the bit finder, bit would go down once, then the truck would shudder come back a little hit the bit finder again (a bit slow and shaky) the bit would go down again then the truck would return home. It just seemed that something wasn't right.It looked like more problems wanting to surface so back to 1.115. Still carves great, just will not complete a scan.

As long as it works for you, that's the main thing. But as far as how it does the bit finder, that sounds just like how mine works (with 1.120). Since I updated it as soon as I got it, I never saw it work any other way and seems normal to me. Maybe it's not a problem after all?

BearlyRich
05-24-2007, 09:44 AM
I haven't heard of any proposed changes in the scanning software? I have heard of a problem with copy/paste that is supposed to get fixed. I could be wrong too?

That's an interesting thought to wait on buying a probe for the new software since it does now come with the full software CD. Ah-well. I never was good at waiting for something...

Also a good idea to work on carving a holder for the probe and maybe the bits too. ZFunny that I was thinking of trying to scan that plastic holder last night. I made the box for the PC card. It seems kind of natural for the machine to make it's own bit holder box ;-) Seems also like it should be a sample project on the CD...

And speaking of the probe and damaging what it being scanned... Does anyone have an idea of how damaging that probe may be? I was going to scan my Odd Jobs #1 until I realized it had a glass bubble level and thought the probe would probably break the glass tube? I wonder just how much force/pressure/vibration the probe puts on objects?

mtylerfl
05-24-2007, 01:14 PM
I haven't heard of any proposed changes in the scanning software? I have heard of a problem with copy/paste that is supposed to get fixed. I could be wrong too?

That's an interesting thought to wait on buying a probe for the new software since it does now come with the full software CD. Ah-well. I never was good at waiting for something...

And speaking of the probe and damaging what it being scanned... Does anyone have an idea of how damaging that probe may be? I was going to scan my Odd Jobs #1 until I realized it had a glass bubble level and thought the probe would probably break the glass tube? I wonder just how much force/pressure/vibration the probe puts on objects?

Hello Bearlyrich,

1) "I have heard of a problem with copy/paste that is supposed to get fixed."
I also have been told by a Rep at LHR that copy/paste will be addressed in an upcoming update to the Pattern Editor software. (Supposedly, it will be a free update.)

2) "That's an interesting thought to wait on buying a probe for the new software since it does now come with the full software CD. Ah-well. I never was good at waiting for something"

Why wait? The probe activation/registration just adds the Pattern Editor software, nothing more. The CD just has a duplicate of the standard version of Designer.

3) "And speaking of the probe and damaging what it being scanned... Does anyone have an idea of how damaging that probe may be?"

I scanned a glass Christmas ornament (a coke bottle) and it did not break the glass. However, I did accidently break the ornament myself when I was picking off a teeny blob of hot glue residue after the scan was done! (I was holding the ornament firmly in one hand while picking at the glue and "squished it".)

The probe can leave "lines" on laquered, clear-coated and painted objects. The probe doesn't apply what I would call a lot of pressure, but it can be enough to "scrape" a fine finish. Just use common sense what you choose to scan.

BearlyRich
05-24-2007, 03:05 PM
Hello Bearlyrich,

I scanned a glass Christmas ornament (a coke bottle) and it did not break the glass. However, I did accidently break the ornament myself when I was picking off a teeny blob of hot glue residue after the scan was done! (I was holding the ornament firmly in one hand while picking at the glue and "squished it".)

The probe can leave "lines" on laquered, clear-coated and painted objects. The probe doesn't apply what I would call a lot of pressure, but it can be enough to "scrape" a fine finish. Just use common sense what you choose to scan.

You scanned a glass ornament? Wow! All the ones I've seen are very fragile. This makes me feel better. I'll have to try some fragile stuff just to see what happens. Sorry to hear it broke when removing the glue. I know the exact same thing would happen to me :p

I did read somewhere about the rpobe doing some damage to a painted object but it wasn't anything like glass. Now I should have more things to scan.

And the thought to wait for buying a probe for newer software may or not be an idea. If they do a much more advanced version that we have to pay for, it may come with the probe? Something non of us would know... Me, I'd rather have the probe now and worry about software updates when they become available...