PDA

View Full Version : ribbon

pamjmayo
05-04-2007, 11:46 PM
I have a Z error 246 on my machine. I went through all the possible fixes that have been posted but still can't get it to run. I noticed the ribbon was caught in the Y rail and I released it. Now I have a 3" piece of ribbon with metal on the top (looks very computer-ish) that is the beginning piece to thread it thru the machine. Does anyone know where this goes?

Jeff_Birt
05-05-2007, 09:12 AM
3" long and about 3/8" wide? If so, that is the cable that connects the little circuit board in the Z-Truck to the bottom interconnect board mounted beside the Z-axis drive motor.

edzbaker
05-05-2007, 09:34 AM
Pam, look at the back side of the Z-truck, With the cover off, There is a Black Plastic Cover there with a "Thin" slot in it (Running Vertically). There should be a ribbon cable in that slot. If not, there is where it goes.
Simply sliding it back in will not fix the problem. I will be glad to discuss the repair if this is the ribbon that you have loose.
Ed

pamjmayo
05-05-2007, 12:46 PM
YUP! You are exactly right. This is the ribbon. I hope the fix isn't too complicated. Thank you for your help.

edzbaker
05-05-2007, 01:55 PM
Pam, Remove the screw in the top of the black cover. Gently unplug the white connector that powers the z-Motor, (at the bottom of the black cover) then remove the cover. You will see a circuit board then. On the circuit board you will see wher the Ribbon connects. This connection is a pressure fit, it has a piece of plastic as wide as the slot that you can pull out about 1/16th of an inch, that "Un-locks" the ribbon. Pull that out gently, then insert the ribbon. (Make sure the ribbon is not twisted, and is through the slot in the Black cover. Then once the ribbon cable is inserted fully, gently push the lock back down. It doesn't hold a lot of presssure on the Ribbon, but just enough that it isn't loose. Now put the Black cover back on and put the screw back. Re-connect the white connector into it's socket. Test the machine and if all is well, put a little "Glue" on the Ribbon at the point that it enters the Black cover to stop it from sliping out again. It's also a good idea to put a little "Glue" on the white connector for the same reason.
"Glue" = I always use liquid nails, or 3-M trim cement.
If it is not working properly when you test it, you will need to make sure the ribbon is inserted all the way and test again.
I hope this gets you up and carving.
Ed

pamjmayo
05-05-2007, 02:15 PM
Thank you so much. Here I go into the land of never-never land.

Pam