PDA

View Full Version : THINK-Air safety

pkunk
05-03-2007, 09:56 PM
This was PM'd to me by a Member who thought all should read and remember.:D Paul

I spent over 40 years in the metal cutting industry. An much of that time I was a member of the plant safety committee. So safety is one thing that I keep an eye and ear out for. With so many machine owners using compressed air to clean out their machine. Many never think of the danger that they hold in their hand with an air gun or just don’t know that danger. The machine is equipped with access safety switches to meet certain federal safety regulation. The manual covers a good deal on safety at the machine. One of the few times it states anything about compressed air in the manual it states and I believe is wrong. It says to “use compressed air to blow out the chuck”. That can force dirt and chips into the chuck and make it stick more. We all know the problems with sticking chucks. With that said I’ll come to the biggest concern. Many adults are unaware of these dangers fewer young people and ever fewer children To those being unaware of the danger in compressed air it can be a disaster. (See below) An not only their safety but the safety of the machine. You can use my list if you want a start. But I am sure there are safety people at CW . “Think Safety”
Operator Safety:

Air forced into the tissues or blood stream via the skin can cause an air embolism, which can be fatal if it reaches the heart, lungs or brain.

Air blown into the mouth can, at merely 5 psi, can rupture the esophagus, or the lungs.

40 psi can blow out an eardrum 4 inches away from the ear, and possibly cause brain damage and/or death.

As little as 12 psi can blow an eye out of its socket.

Compressed air blown into the belly buttom can enter the body cavity and cause infection and/or death.

Flying particles can cause cuts and bruises to any part of the body.

The sound from a compressed air hose can reach 120-130 decibels, which is well above OSHA’s 90 dB permissible exposure limit

(Case: source: OSHA) In a Massachusetts plant, a woodworker, covered with sawdust held the compressed air nozzle (120 psi) 12 inches from the palm of his left hand and opened the valve. Before he realized what was happening, his hand swelled up to the size of a grapefruit. Severe shooting pains started from his finger tips to his shoulder. The most excruciating pain was in his head, as though the top of his head was coming off. When found, he was actually holding down on top of his head with one hand. (He lived ?)

Machine Safety:

Connection plugs can be blown apart.

Parts can be unfastened an/or broken off.

Only 15 psi can break the single lip seals on bearings.

If the compressed air is not filtered and dried you are blowing water and dirt in to the motors, bearings and computer system.

If the steel pressure vessel don’t have a rubber liner it can rust. Rust is red oxide. Red Oxide is very abrasive material and makes a good lapping compound. Red Oxide can short out printed circuits boards. Do you really want to blown water and a abrasive into your machine?

And this from me---- Shop air lines should never be plumbed with PVC of any schedule. PVC is not rated for air pressure and is by nature brittle and if hit will fracture sending shrapnel all over the shop. Copper or iron pipe is the recommended piping & there is an expensive Pex like product also.