PDA

View Full Version : Probe arrived!

Gman_Ind
05-03-2007, 07:57 PM
JUST RECEIVED MY WAYWARD PROBE! :D I just happened to pickup some melamine for the sled. I am off to make a sled read the manual and wonder why they send a CDROM?

Jeff_Birt
05-03-2007, 07:59 PM
The CD has your Probe serial # which you need to register with CW to get the unlock code for the probe software (Pattern Editor) in Designer.

Gman_Ind
05-03-2007, 08:35 PM
Thanks Jeff, the little manual that came with it said "to locate the serial number use the options menu on the keypad to access the information"
It did not mention what to use the information for.

upcedar
05-03-2007, 10:04 PM
Got my probe today also, I forgot all about it... ha! Going to be fun

cycollins
05-04-2007, 05:56 AM
...'cause I just got mine today too. I guess some little manufacturing house in Hong Kong has given forth with a decent-sized batch. It's been so long since I ordered it, I forgot what I had planned to do with it.

cycollins

upcedar
05-04-2007, 07:43 AM
please leave the guy's from Hong-Kong out of the subject, there people just like u & me trying to support there families, bless der' sole's! Ric

Gman_Ind
05-04-2007, 10:00 AM
Well Mine quit on the second scan. after re-formating the card, reading everything I could get my eye's on, and re-seating it several times it would still not accept the start point to start the scan. if I pressed enter and held it the LCD would read the std press enter again to confirm or arrows to move. when I let go it went back to jog to start position again. I even changed back to the first test piece I had some success with (partial carving no sled used) still no joy.
I brought it with me to contact CW today but while looking at it closer I decided to pull the 3 screws out and look at the inside of the magic unit.
it is like a simple joystick swash plate, except wired normally closed series circuit. my spring was in crooked and plastic burs were under one contact. I have cleaned out the debris, and rotated the spring a little and it straightened up perfect. I hate to say I actually spent this much $$$ on something so simple and poorly assembled to boot.
I will see if my cleaning and straightening had any affect on the probe when I get back to my shop.
If this does the trick I will be overjoyed.

Kenm810
05-04-2007, 10:25 AM
Thanks for the Info Mike,
it's something that a lot of chippers out there with new scanner probes will need to know.

bladesmith
05-04-2007, 11:44 AM
Good day.

I also received my probe yesterday, but have not had a chance to try it yet.
Thank you GMan for the information. It could be very useful to some of us.

Cheers,

Bladesmith

Gman_Ind
05-04-2007, 11:45 AM
I registered the probe and unlocked the scanner part of the designer software.

I discovered a really great ability to edit imported images and patterns, I was able to cleanup lumps and delete stray speckles. the blur tool is sweet. I opened the lighthouse in a ships wheel PTN file and the blur tool smoothed out the bumpy sky really slick. This should be in the main software in my humble opinion. I was able to add material as well. it has an eyedropper to grab shades and a paint fill tool. It also has a few eraser tools and some crude line segments, no rubber band lines just a paste of a segment. in the two views zoom and pan is supported but strangely it is not linked I had to zoom and pan both windows separately.

upcedar
05-04-2007, 11:53 AM
Good ideal Mike, I'll chec mine out first before set-up! But, when you say 'a lot of money' for the probe, did you every check pricing on indexer's, big buck-o's. we got a steal... Rick

Julie Coffey
05-04-2007, 07:03 PM
Mine got here too- so whats everyone all fired up to scan? I have some original woodwork I'll be scanning so I can redo my kitchen.

Julie

kyeakel
05-05-2007, 04:15 PM
I got mine as well. Got to go make a sled now!

rgant05
05-05-2007, 05:01 PM
I got the notice that mine has been shipped also..... only problem is that when it gets here it will be totally useless. The last "fix" that CW had me to make to get rid of the "close cover error" destroyed the connection for the scanning probe also. Has anyone heard anything about the method that they are going to have to connect the probe, or whether or not it is ready for use? I've got a call into CW (Sat) but not sure when I can expect to hear anything from them.

Roger

wolfvonstk
05-06-2007, 03:36 AM
anyone in the so. cal area with a probe. i would like to see how it works with what i have befor i but out even more money.

mtylerfl
05-06-2007, 06:31 AM
anyone in the so. cal area with a probe. i would like to see how it works with what i have befor i but out even more money.

Hello wolfvonstk,

I would invite you over, but we're in Brunswick, Georgia!

Perhaps you will find my video about the scanning probe helpful to you.

Here is the link...

http://www.carvebuddy.com/scanningvideo_how_it_works.html

Gman_Ind
05-06-2007, 10:18 AM
Just a quick update; I still can't scan! same story as before the machine will not go past the 'select first corner' I can't select the first corner. I gave up for now I have others carvings to get out. Remodeling season has blossomed along with the flowers and time is getting hard to come by...
I'm off to finish a floor I started yesterday.
I appreciate any hints as to why IT will not allow me to select the first point.

I will try to go through the sensor menu again tonight, It recognizes the probe but it acts like something is stuck on or off ?? a button or sensor? I will post if I figure it out.

mtylerfl
05-06-2007, 01:52 PM
Just a quick update; I still can't scan! same story as before the machine will not go past the 'select first corner' I can't select the first corner. I gave up for now I have others carvings to get out...
I appreciate any hints as to why IT will not allow me to select the first point.

I will try to go through the sensor menu again tonight, It recognizes the probe but it acts like something is stuck on or off ?? a button or sensor? I will post if I figure it out.

Hello Mike,
Sorry to hear you are having problems. Try the following test to see if the probe itself indicates it is working properly...

Probe Test Instructions:
STEP 1: Install the Probe into the quick changer and plug in the connector wire, then turn on the machine.

STEP 2: The LCD displays "1) Scan Area"

STEP 3: Press "0" on the keypad for "Options"

STEP 4: Press the keypad DOWN ARROW until you see "7) Sensor Check" on the LCD display

STEP 5: Press the # 7 on the keypad

STEP 6: Press the keypad DOWN ARROW until you see "Probe State" displayed on the LCD

STEP 7: Manually deflect the probe tip gently to either side and watch the LCD. If the probe itself is operating correctly, the LCD display will toggle between Open/Closed. If it does not, you will need to contact CarveWright Service and let them know that your probe may be defective.

Gman_Ind
05-07-2007, 02:46 PM
Michael T.
Thanks for the reply, I have seen this menu, indicating the probe state, I did not move the probe and see if it changes yet. the menu indicated a closed state .
I can't get the chuck open to accept bits or the probe right now it is locked up!

benluz
05-07-2007, 05:48 PM
I got the notice that mine has been shipped also..... only problem is that when it gets here it will be totally useless. The last "fix" that CW had me to make to get rid of the "close cover error" destroyed the connection for the scanning probe also. Has anyone heard anything about the method that they are going to have to connect the probe, or whether or not it is ready for use? I've got a call into CW (Sat) but not sure when I can expect to hear anything from them.

Roger

If nothing else have them send you an old senor board of the probe/homing sensor with the flat ribbon cable and you can plug your probe into that(does not have to be installed in the the z-head to work as long as the one end is plugged in and the other is plugged into the probe) , black tape the rest so it does not short on metal surface and use it as sort of a extension cord to your probe.Maybe you have your old one if you took yours out.
Ben

Gman_Ind
05-08-2007, 07:40 PM
I went through the menu and the probe changes from closed to open with a slight touch. I double checked it with a meter prior to installing it and the meter says its breaking continuity when the needle is deflected. I checked for cracks or wire breaks again and it is in what I can tell perfect condition.
It is making me think it is the logic in the CC itself that is not working right. I have had a touchy rear roller sensor and maybe thats acting up again ? the thing works but I have to add extra preassure when loading a board some times. The boards are flat local hickory.
BTW I received a call back, from a nice lady who informed me a tech will call me soon.

mtylerfl
05-08-2007, 09:08 PM
I went through the menu and the probe changes from closed to open with a slight touch. I double checked it with a meter prior to installing it and the meter says its breaking continuity when the needle is deflected. I checked for cracks or wire breaks again and it is in what I can tell perfect condition.
It is making me think it is the logic in the CC itself that is not working right. I have had a touchy rear roller sensor and maybe thats acting up again ? the thing works but I have to add extra preassure when loading a board some times. The boards are flat local hickory.
BTW I received a call back, from a nice lady who informed me a tech will call me soon.

Hello Mike,

Please let us know what the diagnosis is from CW after you talk to a Tech.

Thanks.

Gman_Ind
05-09-2007, 01:55 PM
I just talked with a couple of CW tech's. I have an error they never saw. The probe is testing out fine. but not completing the scan cycle. They really did not know what it the problem, but are working with me on resolving the issue.

benluz
05-09-2007, 02:28 PM
just for the heck of it ,did you by any chance while the sled was in the machine do a 0 then 7 and check all the sensors,my friends probe was acting weird and one roller was reading uncompressed with the sled in.I'm not sure what problems you were having so this may be way off base.
Ben

Gman_Ind
05-10-2007, 03:27 PM
I have ran through the sensor menu and the rollers are OK, the probe is testing correctly as well. I have had rear roller problems with this machine early on. and I get a board removed error on occasion.

Jeff_Birt
05-10-2007, 03:33 PM
What firmware version are you running?

benluz
05-10-2007, 03:39 PM
I have ran through the sensor menu and the rollers are OK, the probe is testing correctly as well. I have had rear roller problems with this machine early on. and I get a board removed error on occasion.

While you were in the sensor mode, did you move the z-head all around and see if any of the sensors changed while you were looking at the sensor readouts.I was just trying to rule out a short in the board sensor harness.The wires work there way out of the channel with a protective plastic cover and the edge of the plastic cuts through them and the result can be all sorts of weird problems.
Ben

Gman_Ind
05-17-2007, 02:52 PM
I replaced the keypad and was checking it out and it would not see the probe at all. I figuried I missed a wire so I dis assembled it again and checked all of the wires again. wiggled and reseated all that looked like they connected the probe to the rest of the machine. The probe checked out using a meter. I wiggled the z axis cable and it read the probe was there, trouble was it never changed from the closed state. I removed the probe to get back to the pile of carvings I need to get done but the machine is stuck in probe mode, it shorted to ground somewhere. After talking with CW techs he said if the homing sensor on the zaxis is damaged it can pull too hard on the wires and damage the board. My homing sensor is completely gone, maybe when the bit holder came loose and jumped around in the machine it destroyed the sensor and the vacuum sucked out the parts before I knew they were gone.
I hope the machine is fixed up better than new when it returns.

Gman_Ind
06-04-2007, 02:14 PM
I received the machine back and completed my first successful scan. The machine is performing like a champ. I scanned a plastic gear and found that if I set the scan depth to just below the top of the gear It behaved better than if I let it try to scan the whole gear. I would say if I was to scan another object with a sharp vertical wall I will set the scan depth near the top.
I must give Thanks!! to the members (Michael T) who posted videos of their scanning tutorials it really helped get over the learning curve as fast as possible. I was very comfortable the first time out of the box and got right into the swing of it. I took note of the tip on setting the scan depth, very helpful..

Julie Coffey
06-04-2007, 05:19 PM
I am happy to hear yours is up and running. I haven't forgotten our bet, I'll be contacting you after my 'outlaws' leave on the 20th to square up. <g>

J

Dirtydan
06-04-2007, 07:49 PM
Well it finally got here.. I got everything up and running, but I must say I really expected a much higher quality result. I've attach the two scans I made to day.

Also, both items I scanned were made out of brass, and both are now etched. Yes brass is a soft material, but how do you keep from damaging the item being scanned :confused:

mtylerfl
06-05-2007, 10:47 AM
Well it finally got here.. I got everything up and running, but I must say I really expected a much higher quality result. I've attach the two scans I made to day.

Also, both items I scanned were made out of brass, and both are now etched. Yes brass is a soft material, but how do you keep from damaging the item being scanned :confused:

Hello Dirtydan,

I looked at your patterns for you and think I see a couple reasons why you might not be achieving the quality you expected...

1) The items are rather small, which often makes it more difficult to get a good scan. I think this is the most compelling reason for the problem you are having.

2) It is also possible that the items may have "vibrated" excessively during the scanning process. Perhaps the Quake hold-down material might be too resilient to hold your objects perfectly still while the scans are in progress.

Might try a couple larger objects and an alternative hold down method to see if the quality improves. Also, make sure you select "Best" quality before proceeding with your scans (if you are not already, that is). You probably are, but thought I'd mention it anyway just in case.

Dirtydan
06-05-2007, 11:10 AM
Thanks Mike,

I was also thinking about things moving, so I guess I'll try the Hot Glue... Hope it pops of the Lexan with out damaging it. We'll try today...

Also I noticed that the probe will move about 1/8" off center, 360 degrees. Is this normal? I would have thought it would be fixed...

mtylerfl
06-05-2007, 02:00 PM
Thanks Mike,

I was also thinking about things moving, so I guess I'll try the Hot Glue... Hope it pops of the Lexan with out damaging it. We'll try today...

Also I noticed that the probe will move about 1/8" off center, 360 degrees. Is this normal? I would have thought it would be fixed...

Hi Dirtydan,

The probe movement is normal - it is intentional by design.

Dirtydan
06-05-2007, 09:51 PM
Well it looks like the Quake Safe is not the thing to use... Went back to Hot Glue and had a 400% improvement... See attached...

Thanks Mike....

And yes, you can get the Hot Glue off the Lexan using a plastic puddy knife and some Lexan Cleaner/Polish... Good as new....:p :D

Dirtydan
06-05-2007, 10:17 PM
Here's the file Mike.

mtylerfl
06-05-2007, 10:17 PM
Hi Dirtydan,

Glad to know you got the problem worked out. Have fun scanning!